Skip to main content
Topic: Draft Recap/Survey (so far) (Read 5496 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Draft Recap/Survey (so far)

Reply #15
LOL... well, that you trade away lots of early picks, favor offensive prospects over pitching (TNSTAAPP - if you know what that refers to), and tend to favor older, closer to the bigs players over hyped-up teenagers.

How'd I do? :)
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #16
LOL... well, that you trade away lots of early picks, favor offensive prospects over pitching (TNSTAAPP - if you know what that refers to), and tend to favor older, closer to the bigs players over hyped-up teenagers.

How'd I do? :)
Probably not too far off:
 - Regarding trading away picks, this is pretty true but is also impacted on where the MLB team is in a cycle. If my team is competitive and I can trade away picks to help the MLB club, I will do that. I think I can do the opposite when going through a rebuild but I don't go for long rebuilds. I don't have the patience and there's nothing more frustrating in these leagues than to go through a couple rebuilding seasons only to have the league collapse. Interestingly, I tend to trade picks more readily than prospects. Once I've done the research and drafted someone, I become attached to them. That means I probably overvalue my own prospects when making a trade.
 - I do think my teams tend to lean more to hitting than pitching in most of my leagues but not all. I've had teams with strong pitching in other DMB leagues but those are more often historical replay leagues. I think it comes down to predictability. When you draft Jim Bunning, you pretty much know how he'll pitch for a decade. In a league like Mutiny, pitchers seem to be more unpredictable than hitters (both in performance and health) from year to year. I think I lean to the predictable. As far as TNSTAAPP, I may lean that way but not always. This year, 3 of my 10 picks were pitchers but last year it was 7 out of 11.
 - I think all of us favor higher level minors than lower level minors and, again, I think it comes down to predictability. Predictability must be a personality trait (spoken like a true CPA). Higher level minor league players have more history to predict and have a higher probability of making the bigs. On the other hand, I might miss out on the future star by drafting someone in AA rather than taking a chance on the next Juan Soto in rookie ball. It's probably why I missed Hudson Potts this year. I took the AAA SS first in round 5 thinking Potts wouldn't go before my next pick. But someone else saw the potential of a 20+ HR guy in A ball and grabbed him before I could.

Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #17
I am a little late here but the one play that I am extremely happy I was able to draft is Nolan Gorman. The dude is raking since being drafted with 15 HR, 39 RBI, and an OBP of .413. I could see him being the starting 3B for the Cards come this time next year if he keeps this up.
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #18
I'm late to this too

1) The guy I'm most happy about is Diego Cartaya. We'll see how it all pans out, it's really hard to project where a 16 year old catcher from Venezuela will end up, but I'm really happy with drafting him where I did. Especially after I was skipped a couple times.

2) oh man, there's several guys I probably reached on. Durbin Feltman is probably first on that list, Zach Shannon is another one for sure (15th round draft pick out of Div II, yes he's smoking hot in rookie ball but he's old for that league), Miguel Vargas hasn't played professionally in years. It's going to be very interesting to see how this draft turns out for me.

3) I'm still mad I took Durbin in R2 and didn't take who I really wanted - Ethan Hankins. That's not really an answer to your question as I'm not surprised Hankins got picked where he did. I just wanted to express some buyers remorese. I gambled Hankins would fall to me in R3 and it didn't turn out that way. Boo...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs