Mutiny Simulation Baseball

League Office => Game Inside the Game => 2020 GiG => Topic started by: Rum Runners on June 05, 2020, 04:52:54 AM

Title: GIG Round 5
Post by: Rum Runners on June 05, 2020, 04:52:54 AM
I was approached by Kyle about doing this as I was the "only" guy who posted in the past with interest in creating some GIG questions as he had a scheduling conflict for the upcoming Round 5. I said, "I'm not sure about the topics of the questions, but I'll think of something." Kyle graciously responded "I never think of the topics until I just start looking at stats, both the web page and the database itself. The question just kinda come to me."

Well he's right. David mentioned the Rum Runners had a great week in Round 4 of the GIG questions, I was also pleasantly surprised that the Rum Runners have a 4-game winning streak and swept the Cache Hogs.

This leads me into my first question of Round 5:

1) The following teams have a winning streak greater than four games, AZ Koi (6), Lakeview Rougarou (6) and Moonstruck Blues (5)
a) Which of these teams will have their streak extended and be the longest? (1 point)
b) How many games for the longest streak of the three teams above? (b) (3 points for nailing it, 1 if you're 2 off)
c} Bums and Rums each have a 4 game streak? Will either team extend their streak past six games? (yes or no, 1 point)
d) If "YES" in 1c, only name one team. (3 points for nailing it, 1 if you're off 1)

2) Three starting pitchers so far this season have a perfect win %, Eduardo Rodriguez (9-0, Grants Pass Brewers), Mike Minor (8-0, ACLs), and Mike Soroka (8-0, ACLs). In contrast, Clayton Kershaw (9-4, Moonstruck Blues) has factored into the decision in all 13 of his starts. Each of these starters have made 13 starts so far on the season. Soraka is currently farmed, unless he is promoted he will not be eligible as a correct answer.
a) Who will be the first to win 10 games in MSB? Minor will pitch before the other two and Rodriguez and Kershaw are currently lined up to pitch on the same day? (2 points)
b) How many starting pitchers will have 10 wins at the end of this period? Here's a hint, maximum would be 19, although not likely as these are the ones having at least seven wins and have a chance (3 points for nailing it, 1 points 2 off)
c) Name each pitcher correctly for 1 point, although if wrong would be -1 point.

3) Double-plays are consider the pitchers best friend. But what do they mean about a hitters ability?
a) Among starting pitchers only with a minimum of 200 BF at the start of this round there are six pitchers who have only created 1
Ground Ball DP. Name each pitcher that will increase this stat to at least 2 GDP. (1 point each correct,  -1 for each incorrect)
b) Going to the plate, there are five position players with a minimum of 200 Plate Appearances that have grounded into double plays on the season. Name each batter that will keep this stat at zero. (1 point each, -1 for each incorrect)

4) Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. is sitting at zero home runs on the season. Isn't he some sort of top prospect with prodigious power or something? He isn't alone, there are 5 players with zero and three who sit at one and having a minimum of 150 Plate Appearances.
a) Will Vlad put one out of the park? (1 point yes or no.)
b) How many players will still have zero home runs? (2 point for on the money, 1 point for within one)
c) How many players will have one home run? (2 point for on the money, 1 point for within one)

Definitely going to need to open DMB for these to get names and number count, sorry.

Good luck!
Title: Re: GIG Round 5
Post by: scubadan on June 05, 2020, 06:43:41 AM
2b) How many starting pitchers will have 10 wins at the end of this period? Here's a hint, maximum would be 19, although not likely as these are the ones having at least seven wins and have a chance (4 points for nailing it, 3 points 1 off, 1 point 3 off)

I think the scoring on this question needs to be corrected.

3b) Going to the plate, there are five position players with a minimum of 600 Plate Appearances that have grounded into double plays on the season. Name each batter that will keep this stat at zero. (1 point each)

I think this number is wrong. I think it's supposed to be 200 PA.

Is there a minimum PA test for question #4? With at least 1 PA I count 18 batters without a HR. I need to get over 100 PA's to get the number down to 5 and those players are all over 150 PA's

Post by: Rum Runners on June 05, 2020, 09:21:26 AM
Off to a shaky start. I'll make the edits above.
Post by: Rum Runners on June 05, 2020, 09:34:02 AM
This is certainly what happens when you get up to do this and you haven't had much sleep anyway.

Started the first two questions last night and mostly finished and then came up with the other two this morning.

While it's a partial tear, a tear in the labrum of the shoulder has been making it hard to sleep. I can now relate to football (ACL) and pitchers (labrum) injuries.
Post by: scubadan on June 05, 2020, 12:16:22 PM
Easy mistakes to make...thanks for doing this.

Regarding your shoulder, have you tried sleeping with your arm elevated. I put a small pillow by my side and sleep with my arm on the pillow (I'm a back sleeper). It seems to help until I roll to one of my sides. Stick with any shoulder exercises you are doing to strengthen the surrounding area. It helps me and I can feel it after some time passes  when I've stopped doing the stretches and exercises.
Post by: profjason on June 05, 2020, 02:15:30 PM
1. Blues, 8, Yes, Bums-8
2. Minor, 3 (Kershaw, Minor & Soroka)
3. Bauer, Buehler ; Dyson, Buxton
4. Yes; 4; 2
Post by: bcbarnes on June 06, 2020, 01:43:14 PM
Rougarou Guesses

1a) Blues
1b) 8
1c) Yes
1d) 7
2a) Kershaw
2b) 3
2c) Kershaw, Minor, ERod
3a) Bauer, Buehler, Clevinger, Odorizzi, Richards, CSmith, Verlander
3b) Buxton, Dyson, Kipnis, Meadows, MyersW
4a) Yes4
b) 44
c) 4
Post by: Kyle on June 06, 2020, 03:15:26 PM
Great job, Brent!  And thank you!  Very sorry about your shoulder. That sounds painful and certainly uncomfortable.

One hint: I think you might want to consider giving negative points to both 3a and 3b, otherwise, I'm just gonna put all their names (as will anyone else seeing the loop hole).

1a) Blues! I'm starting to feel a little mojo....
b) 9
c) no

2a) Kershaw
b) 4
c) Kershaw, Rodriguez

3a) Buxton, Dyson, Meadows
b) Clevinger, Buehler, Odorizzi

4a) Yes
b) 3
c) 4
Post by: bcbarnes on June 06, 2020, 04:19:59 PM
I have an obvious error on 4b, should be 4 not 44, can we go with 4?
Post by: Rum Runners on June 06, 2020, 04:23:34 PM
@bcbarnes

@profjason

Making an edit to 3a and 3b. Each incorrect will be minus 1. Those who have answered can make edits.
Post by: Rum Runners on June 06, 2020, 04:27:26 PM
I have an obvious error on 4b, should be 4 not 44, can we go with 4?

I thought that was the case, 44 isn't an obvious answer.
Post by: ocd on June 07, 2020, 04:27:00 AM
1) Koi, 7, no, n/a
2) Minor, 4, Kershaw, Rodriguez, Minor, decline to say
3a) Bauer, Clevinger, Odorizzi, Smith
b) Buxton, Kipnis, Myers
4) no, 5, 2
Post by: scubadan on June 07, 2020, 05:58:59 AM
1a) Rougarou
1b) 8
1c) Yes
1d) Bums
2a) Rodriguez
2b) 3
2c) Rodriguez and Kershaw
3a) Buehler
3b) Buxton, Dyson, Meadows
4a) Yes
b) 3
c) 4
Post by: Rum Runners on June 07, 2020, 07:35:15 AM
1)
a) Blues,
b) 8
c} Yes
d) Rums, 7

2)
a) Kershaw
b) 5
c) Rodriguez, Kershaw, Flaherty, Bieber, and Soroka.

3)
a) Bauer, Buehler, Clevinger, Odorizzi
b) Dyson and Buxton

4)
a) Yes
b) 3
c) 3
Post by: thebuland on June 07, 2020, 10:17:37 AM
1a) Rougarou
1b) 8
1c) yes
1d) Rum Runners

2a) Kershaw
2b) 5
2c) Kershaw, Rodriguez, Bieber, Flaherty

3a) Buehler, Clevinger, Bauer, Verlander
3b) Buxton, Dyson, Meadows

4a) Yes
4b) 3
4c) 3

Matt's report card: reading comprehension - needs work
Post by: bob_h on June 07, 2020, 03:33:17 PM
Robots predict:
1 a- Rougarou
1b   8
1c  Yes
1d   R Runners 7
2a  Kershaw
2b  3
2c Kershaw, Rodriguez
3a  Bauer, Buehler
3b  Buxton, Meadows
4a Yes
4b 4
4c 4
Post by: Brendtmc on June 08, 2020, 03:17:05 PM
1)
a) Blues
b) 7
c} Yes
d) Bums, 8

2)
a) Kershaw
b) 4
c) Rodriguez, Kershaw, Flaherty, Bieber

3)
a) Buehler, Clevinger
b) Buxton, Dyson

4)
a) Yes
b) Four
c) Three
Post by: BrewOR on June 09, 2020, 01:30:14 AM
1) a) Rougarou
    b) 8
    c) Yes
    d) Bums, 9

2) a) Rodriguez
    b) 3
    c) Minor, Eduardo Rodriguez, Kershaw

3) a) 2, Clevinger and Buehler
    b) 1, Dyson

4) a) No
    b) 5
    c) 3
Post by: scubadan on June 09, 2020, 05:21:29 AM
I have a question about question 1d. I interpreted this question to ask to name the team (Rums or Bums) that would extend their winning streak beyond 6. But I see many answers including a guess on what the length of the winning streak will be. Do I need to update my answer to include a guess on the length of the streak? If so, my guess would be 8 for the Bums.
Post by: CoyG1988 on June 09, 2020, 05:53:48 AM
1a. Blues
1b. 8
1c. Yes
1d. Bums-9

2a. Minor
2b. 2 (Kershaw and Minor)

3a. Bauer,
3b. Buehler ;
3c. Dyson and Buxton

4a. Yes
4b. 5
4c. 3
Post by: Scurvy Dogs on June 09, 2020, 09:14:14 AM
1a) Blues (puke)
1b) 7
1c) yes
1d) Rum Runners

2a) Kershaw
2b) 2
2c) Kershaw, Rodriguez

3a) Bauer
3b) Buxton, Dyson

4a) no
4b) 5
4c) 2
Post by: David Johnson on June 09, 2020, 12:28:55 PM
1a.   Rougarou
1b.   8
1c.   Yes
1d.   Bums, 8
2a.   Kershaw
2b.   6
2c.   Kershaw, Rodriguez, Minor, Soroka, Bieber, Flaherty
3a.   Bauer, Buehler, Clevinger, Odorizzi, Richards, Smith, Verlander
3b.   Buxton, Dyson, Meadows
4a.   Yes
4b.   4
4c.   3
Post by: David Johnson on June 09, 2020, 12:31:04 PM
Games are posted so guesses are closed.
Post by: Rum Runners on June 09, 2020, 12:32:00 PM
1D is looking for the correct team and a number of games if you choose more than six wins.
Post by: Scurvy Dogs on June 10, 2020, 05:28:06 AM
I completely didn’t understand the question in 1D. Can I add an 8 to my answer?
Post by: scubadan on June 10, 2020, 06:44:24 AM

I'm fine with that if the group is too.
Post by: Rum Runners on June 10, 2020, 07:09:50 AM
I'm fine with that if the group is too.

I am fine with it, but of course I wrote the questions. Easier to understand from my perspective.
Post by: David Johnson on June 10, 2020, 07:54:01 AM

I'm also good with it.  I didn't understand that either until Brent said something.