Skip to main content
Topic: Bats at the Bottom (Read 1522 times) previous topic - next topic

Bats at the Bottom

On a team with many new additions, the skipper has decided to place an aging and platoon-split pardoned slugger in the number-9 hole of a lineup vs a RHP. Jose Bautista has enjoyed a good start to the season and he's slugging, although in a limited sample size. When I look at the Harwell leaders and he's at the top of most of the stats vs RHP, that is a good sign that what I'm doing is working.

Should I move him up in the order? I'm not sure. If the team continues to win and stay above 0.500, I don't know why I would change a thing.

Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Re: Bats at the Bottom

Reply #1
I've often wondered if DMB takes into account where a player is placed in the order.  I mean, baseball reference has a splits section devoted to that, and some of the players who get bounced around in the batting order by their managers see profound differences in their production. 

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever done DMB research on this.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
It's probably more luck and that he's a legit platoon split. He does have good bats behind him, but he could also be getting traffic on base in front of him and getting good pitches to hit.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #3
I usually err on the side of, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' if the team is doing well.  There's no scientific data to back that (other than five titles in 14 years... ;-) ), just my feeling.  I usually don't mess with my lineup once it's set.  Remember, most things revert to norm at some point.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #4
Good stuff with a "D". I have done less tinkering this past season in one of my other leagues. Of course the sim rate is higher trying to catch up a season. I think outside of adjustments for injuries I have done less to try and get my struggling players that are elite to get it going.

I might take that same mentality here with the Rum Runners.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS