Skip to main content
Topic: Group 2 - Thinned by Promotions (Read 3859 times) previous topic - next topic

Group 2 - Thinned by Promotions

Brooklyn Kraken

The Kraken are rebooting after promotions to the big club the past couple seasons have graduated the top level of the systems talent.  Outfielders Manuel Magot and Andrew Benintendi are now starting in Brooklyn, along with catcher J.T Realmuto who was promoted last season.  The remaining talent falls mostly on the pitching side.  Kyle Wright, Jack Flaherty and Joey Wentz all have mid to top of the rotation potential, while Jesus Luzardo is one of the hottest names in the minor leagues and may end up surpassing all of them.  Viewed cautiously by many due to Tommy John surgery before he was drafted, Luzardo has rewarded the Brooklyn front office for their gamble by coming back strong.  Poised and intelligent beyond his young age, Luzardo not only studies the art of pitching but has the stuff to back it up.  Able to hit 97 on the radar gun with excellent command, and place his plus curveball in or out of the zone as he chooses, he has put up astounding strikeout numbers in his limited action to date.  Attesting to his work ethic, he is also developing a change up that is already seen as above average and should give him a third plus pitch. First baseman Jake Bauers and outfielder Harrison Bader also have good chances of breaking in with the big club soon and securing prominent roles.

Top Prospects: 1. Kyle Wright (SP), 2. Jack Flaherty (SP), 3. Joey Wentz (SP), Jesus Luzardo (SP), 5. Jake Bauers (1B), 6. Harrison Bader (OF), 7. Wander Javier (SS)

Foothill Nomads

Foothill is the system hit the hardest by promotions.  That is a good thing for the Nomads big league team, but it drops the system in the rankings significantly this year.  Graduated from the system are Rafael Devers, Alex Bregman, Dylan Bundy, Dansby Swanson, Mike Clevinger, Yuli Gurriel, and Josh Hader.  Left are some compelling lower level talents who could be the next wave for the Nomads.  Estevan Florial leads that group after his breakout campaign of 2017.  The toolsy outfielder began to translate his plus-plus speed and developing power into actual game time skills.  The centerfielder has the ability to be a perennial All-Star type player.  A group of talented shortstops include Andres Gimenez, Richard Urena, and Edmundo Sosa.  All are defensively gifted, the question will be which one develops offensively.  Righty Albert Abreu is the class of the pitching side of the ledger.  Abreu’s fastball has ticked up at almost every level, reaching the high 90’s last season when he also hit 100+ on several occasions.  His secondary offerings, a curve and change up, are both developing and have the potential to be above average pitches as well. A pair of offensive minded first baseman, Pavin Smith and Bobby Bradley, are chasing each other through the system, with Bradley showing the significant power advantage but Smith showing a much more rounded offensive profile.  Bradley will need to learn to reign in his swings and misses and Smith will have to develop additional power and both are capable of doing just that.  Both will be fine at 1B, although if either one needs to be moved to the outfield they will be stretched to be at least adequate.

Top Prospets: 1. Estevan Florial (OF), 2. Andres Gimenez (SS), 3. Albert Abreu (SP), 4. Isan Diaz (2B), 5. Pavin Smith (1B), 6. Bobby Bradley (1B)

Orange County Devils

Orange County’s system has been severely thinned out by promotions.  Trea Turner, Elias Diaz, Scott Schebler, Jeimer Candelario, Bradley Zimmer and others have all been promoted to the OC, leaving the Devils farm fairly barren.  Righty starter Chance Adams has the ability to crack the Devils major league rotation in short order.  Owner of a mid 90’s fastball that can touch 98 and a plus slider, Adams just needs to refine his change up to reach his potential as a mid rotation or higher starting pitcher.  He also needs to learn to trust his stuff more.  He tends to nibble too much and even with excellent command, he ends up losing hitters or making too many pitches.  When he refines his change up and learns to attack hitters with well above average stuff, there should be no stopping the 2015 draftee.  Everybody is rooting for Balbino Fuenmayor to make it big, if for no other reason than to be able to say Balbino Fuenmayor as often as possible!  The rest of the system is fairly non-descript, but that is not surprising considering just how many recent prospects from the system now call Orange County home.  Knowing the Devils front office and player development staff, the organizations rebuild probably shouldn’t take too long.

Top Prospects: 1. Chance Adams (SP), 2. Wilkerman Garcia (SS), 3. Nick Kingham (SP), 4. Balbino Fuenmayor (1B)!
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: Group 2 - Thinned by Promotions

Reply #1
Just wondering, but what about this band differentiates it from band 1?  I.E. it would seem like the Devils (sorry Shane!) minor league system has been so thinner by promotions that it would stand to be in the first band.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
The groups are separated by some commonality mostly.  The first group were the expansion teams (minus one...); this one is those teams who were most thinned by promotions.

In general the groupings roughly follow my rankings (going from bottom to top), so the Devils *could* be just ahead of the three expansion teams in the final rankings.  By all means, if you feel there is a team or two (or three...) from the previous grouping that is ahead of a team in this grouping, you are welcome to rank them accordingly if you wish to go that one further step in ranking teams.

This whole endeavor is a work in progress.  As I have said, I (and the league office) want to make this a permanent part of the league year to year, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how this would better suit the league, let us know.  I definitely have some thoughts and have put them into practice this time, but I'm open to suggestions.  I want this to be interactive so all input will be taken and considered for improvement.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #3
Thanks Brendt.  I'm thinking that the Kraken go first, then Nomads and then Devils. 

Some of those promotions are amazing.  What I would give to be starting Trea Turner or Bregman for the next 5 years. 
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #4
Despite the promotions, I will be eager to check back in on the Kraken and Nomads over the next 12-24 months. A lot of intriguing talent there. I would throw Ryan Vilade on the Kraken list as well, though he is years away.

I thought my Cache Hogs could have slotted on this list as well, we promoted quite a bit this year, but damn if that isn't an impressive list of promotions for the Nomads. Wow.

Chris
Data City Cache Hogs

Reply #5
1. Kraken
2. Nomads
3. Devils
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #6
I'm a big fan of any pitching prospect in a Braves uniform so the Kraken leading things off with Wright peaks my interest.  I do like my Nomads prospects, as I should.  I think Florial is going to be special and I was stoked to pick up Pavin Smith in the last draft.  I still think Diaz will be a player, but with the exception of Abreu, 2018 ain't this systems year. 

1a.Kraken
1b.Nomads
3.Devils
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #7
I must add, hearing that list of Nomads promotions will never ever get old.  Although, in the old system, I would have definitely waited a year on Devers and likely the same on Hader.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #8
That may be an all time great list of promotions.

A friend of mine who had joined scrubs a few years back and taken on a rebuilding project would have had a promotions class this season of Gary Sanchez, Andrew Benintendi, Trea Turner, Albert Almora, Derek Fisher, Archie Bradley, Sean Manaea, Tyler Glasnow, and German Marquez.  I think that was the best I'd ever seen before your list.

But give me a couple seasons and I'll beat both those lists!  ;-)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #9
To be fair - Bundy was a Dogs prospect who was traded away AFTER he was promoted. But still, its pretty good list of promos...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #10
I definitely promoted Bundy.  I did pick him up in a trade with you though.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #11
I must add, hearing that list of Nomads promotions will never ever get old.  Although, in the old system, I would have definitely waited a year on Devers and likely the same on Hader.
Two guys you got from me... *sigh*...
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #12
Matt - I could have sworn I promoted Bundy before the trade. I searched the site and I wasn't able to confirm which way it actually was. Doesn't really matter either way, but yeah, all of these teams have been hurt by promotions.

My ranking:
Kraken
Nomads
Devils

This one is hard, there's a lot of projections on these guys.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #14
Matt - I could have sworn I promoted Bundy before the trade. I searched the site and I wasn't able to confirm which way it actually was. Doesn't really matter either way, but yeah, all of these teams have been hurt by promotions.

http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=644.0
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts