Skip to main content
Topic: Group 3 - Intrigue & Injuries (Read 2426 times) previous topic - next topic

Group 3 - Intrigue & Injuries

Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Ann Arbor is a system full of prospects of varied opinions.  There is not a consensus top 100 prospect, but there are as many as ten that can be found on several of the top prospect lists.  Third baseman Austin Riley heads the list, ranked on eight of the top ten lists, followed by Matt Manning and Dane Dunning who are listed on seven of the ten.  Riley has begun to force more recognition of his talents with a red hot start to the season.  Riley has always been a well regarded hitter, but his swing and miss tendencies caused many to hedge their bets that he would be able to sustain his offensive production at higher levels.  He began to dispel those doubts with a strong second half last season at AA and has taken his game to another level so far this season.  Riley flirted with .400 in the early going and had more extra base hits (19) than he did singles (14) at AA, leading to an astounding .677 SLG and an early season promotion to AAA.  He has also improved his defense at third base and it is no longer thought he will have to move across the diamond.  Owner of an elite arm, he has worked tirelessly on his footwork and glovework to ensure he can stay at the hot corner.  Manning and Dunning are both quality arms who may need nothing more than seasoning and experience.  They both certainly have the arsenal to succeed in the Ann Arbor rotation.  Christian Arroyo and Brian Anderson are under the radar pieces who are making the effort to crack the Landlubbers everyday lineup on the left side of the infield, and if past history is of any measure, the pair should not be underestimated.  They have produced well and outshone many higher level prospects at each level they have reached.  Both could be quality complimentary pieces in Ann Arbor very soon.

Top Prospects: 1. Austin Riley (3B), 2. Matt Manning (SP), 3. Dane Dunning (SP), 4. Christian Arroyo (SS/3B), 5. Brian Anderson (3B), 6. Christian Stewart (OF), 7. Ronald Guzman (1B), 8. Jose DeLeon (SP)

Arizona Asterisks

The Asterisks are a very interesting system.  They have one consensus top prospect in shortstop Royce Lewis, but after that there are a lot of divergent opinions.  Names like Carter Kieboom, Tyler Mahle, Beau Burrows, Adbert Alzolay, Kyle Funkhauser, Starling Heredia, Chris Shaw, Will Smith, and Jose Siri populate the system but each one has his own question marks.  Each can be found ranked on top prospect lists somewhere, but none will be ranked universally.  Lewis for his part gives the Asterisks a true impact type talent.  Moved around the diamond defensively as an amateur due to his versatility and athleticism, he has worked very hard to smooth out his actions at shortstop and with a work ethic unparalleled in the system there is no reason to doubt he will be a standout at the position.  He is a true five tool player with exceptional speed and burgeoning power.  Siri may be the most interesting player in the system.  He has top of the scale speed and a top shelf arm, making him a superior defensive outfielder.  Offensively he broke out last year, showing a power that had not been expected.  If he can learn to be a little more selective and cut his strikeouts, he could develop top of the lineup ability. Mahle and Burrows are both very close and with a little refinement could hold down rotation spots in Arizona for years to come.  There is a lot to do for many of the players in the Asterisks system, but the payoff if they are able to reach their considerable ceilings could be great.  This is a system that could be much higher ranked in a short period of time.

Top Prospects: 1. Royce Lewis (SS), 2. Carter Kieboom (SS), 3. Tyler Mahle(SP), 4. Beau Burrows (SP), 5. Adbert Alzolay (SP), 6. Chris Shaw (1B), 7. Jose Siri (OF), 8. Kyle Funkhauser (SP)

Chicago Rum Runners

The Chicago system has fallen victim in recent years to underperforming early round draft picks.  Some of that has been injury induced (Braxton Garrett, Dylan Cease) and out of the control of the organization, but there are others who simply haven’t lived up to billing.  There is still time for these young players to learn and progress, but some need to start very soon or risk falling far behind those coming up from behind.  Kohl Stewart is one of those names. The overall #4 pick in 2013 has had control issues virtually from the start, and they threaten to end his career before he even reaches the bigs.  There are bright spots in the system though, from outfielder Taylor Trammell to third baseman Miguel Andujar to starters Dylan Cease and Ian Anderson.  Drafted due to pure athleticism, Trammell has shown much more polish than most thought he would early on.  He has top of the scale speed and has shown both patience and a previously unseen power since his signing in 2016.  Andujar was signed as a young 16 year old with raw ability in 2011 and is the rare prospect to have shown a marked improvement at every level he has progressed to.  Starting as a raw athlete with no real certain future position or offensive profile, he has progressed all the way to the point that he now looks like a long term answer at the hot corner in Chicago.  He is on the verge of breaking into the majors at any time.  Cease was one of those injury cases who’s development was slowed early on, but since returning he has worked diligently to get back to, and even surpass, the expectations originally put on him.  Anderson is a gifted power arm who just needs experience and repetitions.  There is plenty of other possible top shelf talent in the system, early round draft choices don’t become early round draft choices by mistake after all, but there needs to be distinct improvement for them to rise to the level of possible major league roster pieces.

Top Prospects: 1. Taylor Trammell (OF), 2. Miguel Andujar (3B), 3. Ian Anderson (SP), 4. Dylan Cease (SP), 5. Monte Harrison (OF), 6. Mickey Moniak (OF), 7. Tristan Lutz (OF), 8. Kohl Stewart (SP)

Walla Walla Sweets

Injuries and slow development on the pitching side has hurt the Sweets system more than anything.  The organization has selected well regarded arms, but those arms have not yet come through.  The upside is, pitchers with arms like Aaron Blair, Kyle Zimmer, and Max Povse don’t grow on trees and there is still time for many of the young arms to mature and contribute to the Walla Walla staff.  The system does have one of the most electric arms in the minors in Alex Reyes and reports on his recovery from TJ surgery are very positive.  For the Sweets to gain a 100 mph arm with a knee buckling curve and a much improved changeup to the rotation in the near future would be a boon.  Reyes just needs to build up arm strength before he takes his place at the top of the rotation.  Cuban signee Luis Robert may be one of the top three athletes in the minor leagues.  He has sprinter type speed and over the fence power, a combination rarely seen at any level.  Once he harnesses his talents there should be no stopping the future centerfielder of the Sweets.

Top Prospects: 1. Alex Reyes (SP), 2. Luis Robert (OF), 3. Dustin Fowler (OF), 4. Aaron Blair (SP), 5. Kyle Zimmer (SP), 6. Max Povse (SP), 7. Christian Walker (1B), 8. Zack Granite (OF)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: Group 3 - Intrigue & Injuries

Reply #1
So far, no Bums.  I’m thinking that Brendt has a real high opinion of his minor league squad :)
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
Of all the groupings of team's prospects thus far, this is the tightest in my opinion.

The Sweets aren't as deep as the other 3 teams, but they are strong at the top.

If I had to pick, I would give the slightest of edges to the Asterisks, as I really like their top 4.
Chris
Data City Cache Hogs

Reply #3
Of all the groupings of team's prospects thus far, this is the tightest in my opinion.

The Sweets aren't as deep as the other 3 teams, but they are strong at the top.

If I had to pick, I would give the slightest of edges to the Asterisks, as I really like their top 4.

So it is boring and a bit lazy, but I agree with Chris on this one. This is a tight group.

1. Astericks
2. Rum Runners
3. Land Lubbers
4. Sweets

The Land Lubbers and Rum Runners made a trade last season that sent Manning to his current team, this could turn out to be regretable mistake by Chicago. The team was newly under team control and looking to make a splash. The current regime redeemed himself by selecting 1st round Luis Castillo in 2017 and he's already made his debut in Chicago. Castillo was joined by Andujar and Trammel in the draft class.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #4
I'd agree that this one is pretty tough.  As others have pointed out the Sweets aren't as deep as the others, but I just don't care.  Reyes will be back and a force to reckon with.  But it's Roberts that I'm really excited about.  I just have a feeling about him.  The Asterisks are next.  I don't see as high of a upside, but that top 4 is pretty sweet. 

It's no slight on the Land Lubbers.  They have been a hugely successful team at both the major and minor levels but I'd strongly consider the Kraken and Nomads ahead of them.

1.Sweets
2.Asterisks
3.Rum Runners
4.Land Lubbers
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #5
I'm gonna go with
Asterisks
Rum Runners
Sweets
Landlubbers

but I could easily switch that around upside down 6 months from now.  Tight group indeed.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #6
For me, this all depends on the health of Alex Reyes. When this was posted no one was able to project his lat injury. But he's so talented that depending on how he turns out it completely could flip the rankings. If he's healthy, I have the Sweets #1. If not, well, I'm not sure where they fit in. So my rankings are based on the hope that Reyes is healthy and we'll see what happens

My Ranking:
Sweets
Landlubbers
The Team Who Must Not Be Named
Rum Runners
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #7

Asterisks "bias".
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #8
With this group, I have no feel one way or another. There are pluses and minuses for each one, but I would go with Sweets, Rum Runners, *, Landlubbers.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League