Skip to main content
Topic: Group 4 - Top End Talent or Depth? (Read 1731 times) previous topic - next topic

Group 4 - Top End Talent or Depth?

Data City Cache Hogs

Eight promotions over the past year, including Aaron Judge, Ozzie Albies, Brandon Drury, and Jacob Faria, has dropped the Cache Hogs slightly in the rankings, but there is still talent left on the farm.  Although the Data City system does not have well known names outside of Fernando Tatis Jr., it is chock full of sleepers who could end up making definite impacts on the Cache Hogs rotation and lineup in the future.  Tatis is the crown jewel of the system, as the 6’4” shortstop is poised to join Corey Seager and Carlos Correa as the tallest shortstops in major league history.  Tatis brings with him a potent power bat and enough speed to be a danger on the base paths.  Defensively he has worked very hard to stay toned and not bulk up in the weight room and he is determined to stay at short long term.  So far that focus has paid off and there is no reason for the organization to think of having to move Tatis to another position.  Sleepers who could make an impact on the Hogs lineup include power hitting outfielder Austin Hays, speedster and defensive wiz Christian Pache, and Jesse Winker.  Also in the system is Nick Gordon, half brother to Dee Gordon, a shortstop with a little less speed but a little more power and patience than his sibling.  There are also sleepers on the pitching side, namely Stephen Gonsalves, Sean Reid-Foley, and Vladimir Gutierrez.  All three have electric arms but must learn to command their pitches. Leading the pitching side of the organization is 6’8” Cuban Michel Baez.  Baez has a plus-plus fastball that sits mid to high 90’s with movement and has developed enough control of it to get by in the lower minors with little else.  He flashes an above average slider and a hammer 11-to-5 curve, but both need work to become consistent off speed weapons.  Baez does hint a front-of-the-rotation ceiling with the fastball and a deceptive and repeatable delivery to go with a highly regarded work ethic.

Top Prospects: 1. Fernando Tatis Jr. (SS), 2. Austin Hays (OF), 3. Michel Baez (SP), 4. Nick Gordon (SS), 5. Jesse Winker (OF), 6. Stephen Gonsalves (SP), 7. Colton Welker (3B), 8. San Reid-Foley (SP), 9. Cristian Pache (OF)

Lakeview Rougharou

Lakeview is a somewhat thin system after the top.  The top of the system is populated by high end power arms on the pitching side.  Walker Buehler required Tommy John surgery right after being drafted in 2015 and missed his first year and a half of professional service.  Upon returning though, he looks even better than he did as the Vanderbilt ace that got him drafted.  His fastball ticked up from 91-95 in college to sitting comfortably and sustainably at 96-99.  His off speed pitches have added bite and break as well.  He throws a low 90’s slider that is a wipeout pitch and has harnessed his low 80’s curveball as well to the point he can throw it for strikes or as a chase pitch.  He is still working on a change, but with a 15-20 mile an hour difference between his fastball and his curve, the need for the change is lessened.  MacKenzie Gore is not far behind Buehler in the pecking order.  Gore is the owner of a 92-95 mph fastball himself, which he commands to every quadrant of the zone.  He possesses three off speed offerings that he has average to excellent command over as well.  His mid 70’s curve is the most advanced at this point, but his low 80’s change was better than advertised (he didn’t need it much in high school) and has a very dramatic drop as it reaches the plate.  At this point his slider is average, but does show plus potential with further refinement. Buehler and Gore may have their receiving partner already paired with them in Carson Kelly.  The backstop is highly regarded as both a hitter and a receiver and there is still more development possible on both sides.  There is a plethora of other young arms with some level of promise within the system, from Alex Faedo to Dakota Hudson to Jay Groome, but each one of the arms has hurdles to overcome before they reach a possible rotation spot in Lakeview.

Top Prospects: 1. Walker Buehler (SP), 2. MacKenzie Gore (SP), 3. Carson Kelly (C), 4. Yordan Alvarez (OF), 5. Jay Groome (SP), 6. Alex Faedo (SP), 7. Brent Rooker (1B), 8. Nate Pearson (SP), 9. Dakota Hudson (SP)

Motor City Madmen

Although a thin system, Motor City does claim two middle of the order power threats in the outfield.  The consensus #1 prospect in the league, Ronald Acuna, has shot through the system and is poised to break into the major leagues as a 20 year old.  He progressed through three levels last season, finishing at AAA and he actually improved at every level as he moved up.  He is a possible superstar who could hit .300 with excellent on-base numbers, 30+ home run power, and 20-30 stolen bases as he matures.  And he’s no slouch on the defensive side either, able to man centerfield with the best.  If the need arises, his cannon arm will play very well in rightfield as well.  Comparisons to Andruw Jones are not off base.  Kyle Tucker may look like a laid back, care free spirit, but he works as hard as anyone to improve his game.  He is a polished hitter who has begun to tap his power potential and could eventually pair with Acuna in the middle of the Madmen lineup producing .300 averages and 25 home runs himself.  Tucker is a very even keeled player who just goes about his business in a professional manner belying his young age.  He is capable in centerfield, but with Acuna likely there for the long term, Tucker will slide to one of the corner spots and will be a superior defender on either side.  The athletically gifted Jordan Adell may be the third member of the Motor City outfield if he continues to develop as he did in 2017.  He took big strides forward in almost every facet of his game.  Drafted as a raw, pure athlete capable of mammoth home runs and sprinter speed, Adell began to translate that athleticism into baseball skills in his first year as a professional.  He may not be the defender Acuna and Tucker are, but he is quite capable and has a strong arm.  A 3,4,5 lineup in Motor City of Tucker, Acuna and Adell is very possible and possibly All-Star quality at all three spots.

Top Prospects: 1. Ronald Acuna (OF), 2. Kyle Tucker (OF), 3. Jordan Adell (OF), 4. JB Bukaukas (SP), 5. Evan White (1B), 6. Adam Haseley, (OF)

Scurvy Dogs

Depth is the calling card of the Dogs farm system.  What the team lacks in top of the ranking prospects, it makes up for with a load of quality depth.  A trio of infielders leads the system.  Ryan McMahon (3B), J.P. Crawford (SS), and Keston Hiura (2B) are all very close to major league ready and if all three develop into the players their talent dictates, they could anchor the Dogs infield for the long term.  Backstops Zack Collins and Jake Rogers could pair up to cover the catching duties, with Collins the offensive force working to polish his defensive abilities and Rogers the defensive standout who needs to improve in the batters box.  Both should have long careers though, and their differing strengths could pair up very well behind the Scurvy plate.  Behind Crawford, shortstop Kevin Maitan looks to tap into his considerable talent after a trying year on the field and off.  He could develop into an offensive minded, top of the lineup type.  Pitching depth is also apparent with Kolby Allard, Anderson Espinosa and Adrian Morejon leading a group of rotation possibilities.  Allard’s development curve took a steep shot upward last year and he is now poised very near the major league level, while Espinosa has to get himself healthy before he can begin to develop his considerable talent.  One of the fast risers in the system is outfielder DJ Peters.  The 6’6” strongman has light tower power to all fields and has been able to produce that power in game action at the lower levels.  The question will become, does the swing and miss tendency in his game preclude that power playing at higher levels where he will face more quality pitchers?  If he can harness his swing and continue to tap his power, he could be a major power threat in the middle of the Scurvy lineup.

Top Prospects: 1. J.P. Crawford (SS), 2. Ryan McMahon (3B), 3. Keston Hiura (2B), 4. Kolby Allard, 5.  Adrian Morejon (SP), 6. Kevin Maitan (SS), 7. Zack Collins (C), 8. Anderson Espinosa (SP), 9. Jake Rogers (C), 10. D.J. Peters (OF)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: Group 4 - Top End Talent or Depth?

Reply #1
Still no Bums.  Or Miners.  I hope that's not a bad sign for my minor league squad.

Then again, I think I'll be happy being in any combination of a group that contains the ACLs, Rattlers, Cutthroats, and Koi.  Especially the ACLs.  Will their minor league squad has its own group?
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
Dogs all the way baby. No doubt about it...
(not that I'm biased or anything)

My Ranking:
Dogs
Rougarou (can I make a trade for Buehler???)
Madmen (can I make a trade for Ocuna???)
Cache Hogs (can I make a trade for Tatis???)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
Dogs
Cache Hogs
Rougarou
Madmen
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #4
I'll put the Madmen at the top just because of Acuna. Then I would go Rougarou, Cache Hogs and Dogs.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #5
I'm pretty much with Jason on this one.  Madmen, Rougarou but I'm going to flip the Dogs with the Hogs.  Crawford has lost his luster but the talent really is there and while I like the Hog's Tatis (a lot), I prefer the guys down the line especially Hiura and Allard and can't wait to see what a healthy Espinosa can do. 

It's riskier to be a pitching prospect heavy team, but with risk comes reward.  I like it Rougarou!
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts