Skip to main content
Topic: Prospect Snapshot: #1 Pick Proves His Worth (Read 1418 times) previous topic - next topic

Prospect Snapshot: #1 Pick Proves His Worth

By Renton Brewz

With the likes of Joey Bart, Casey Mize and Nick Madrigal available, there was some question as to who the #1 pick in this year’s minor league draft would be.  And Roxbury Robots GM Robert Hottin probably couldn’t have gone wrong with any one of the three.  But Hottin’s eventual selection, Georgia Tech catcher Joey Bart, is quickly putting to rest any debate as to who the top talent in this year’s draft actually was.  Through the printing date of this article, Bart has compiled a .308 average with 13 doubles, 3 triples, 9 home runs, and 28 RBI in his first 36 games.  Those 25 extra base hits are over half his total number of 46 hits and have propelled Bart to a stunning .617 SLG%.  Not only is he hitting the ball, he his hitting it with authority.  Wooden bats have not slowed him down at all.

With one of the most polished college pitchers in year’s, and a Gold Glove level defender with an elite level hit tool and blazing speed also available, Bart still stood out.  Even as a college player, Bart was afforded an authority rarely given to amateur backstops; He has called his own game from behind the plate for most his college career.  His professional coaches have continued to grant that respect and as Salem-Keizer manager, Hector Borg comments, “Joey calls the right pitch virtually every time.  Even after just a few games with the team, Joey was already showing not only the knowledge of each pitchers repertoire, but the wisdom to know how to use and sequence each pitch.  Give him one session to study a pitchers repertoire and he has a game plan set to maximize that pitchers effectiveness.”  Along with his advanced receiving skills, Bart also has a superior throwing arm.  He has thrown out 40% of would-be base stealers, many from his knees, and routinely shows plus pop times of 1.85 to 1.90 seconds.

This kind of two way talent is the reason the Robots were so confident in drafting Bart.  Hottin said, “A polished college backstop who can hit?  You just don’t see that every day.  Joey is a high upside young player who might not take long to get to the show.  He easily ticked all the boxes for us and we foresee in Joey an everyday catcher with annual All-Star potential.”  That potential was evident even in high school.  Bart was highly recruited out of Buford High School in Buford, Georgia, and he chose to attend one of the most storied catching universities, Georgia Tech.  Following in the footsteps of major leaguers Matt Wieters and Jason Varitek, Bart became the latest in a long line of major league catchers to learn under the direction of Tech coach Danny Hall.  Hall has always had an eye for catching talent, and not just great talent, but transformative type talent.  Varitek led Tech to the College World Series and later led the Red Sox to their first World Series title in 86 years, being named just the third captain in the franchises storied history.  Wieters has been voted to four All-Star teams and has won two Gold Gloves.  And Hall says of Bart, “I think he’s right there with them.  He’s a really, really hard worker.  He has a high baseball IQ.  And if you look at a Varitek or a Wieters, I think it’s why those guys hang around for a long time – because they understand the game.  And I think they understand how to get the best out of the pitchers that they’re catching.  Bart is right there too.”

High praise for a young, 21 year old just out of college.  But praise Bart looks to be well worthy of.

Be on the lookout for the next Prospect Snap-shot from Prospect Guru Renton Brewz.
If something exciting happens around the Mutinysphere, expect to read it first at the Bird Call! - Prospects, Rumors, Reports, and Features - Contact Editor in Chief - Bul Matthewson (thebuland@gmail.com) with any further info or questions.  Rumormongering encouraged.

Re: Prospect Snapshot: #1 Pick Proves His Worth

Reply #1
I think you're in the wrong business.  Maybe send an email to Mike Petriello?
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
Thank you for that.

Speaking of Petriello; anyone still have contact with him from the time he was part of the league?  I have to admit, when I see him on MLB TV, I do mention to people around that I used to be in a fantasy league with him!  And that I used to beat him too!

No shame in my game... ;-)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #3
I follow Mike on Twitter, and chime in now and again, but I'm on very infrequently.  He's doing really well for himself!
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion