Skip to main content
Topic: Prospect Snapshot: Hot Talent From the Cold North (Read 1287 times) previous topic - next topic

Prospect Snapshot: Hot Talent From the Cold North

Hot Talent From the Cold North
By Renton Brews

Being the first high school player selected in a draft has to carry some pressure.  Being from a northern state like Wisconsin where baseball prospects and eventual major leaguers are few and far between has to add  more. And being the first ever pick of a brand new fledgling franchise heaps on even more. “When I get to the big leagues, that's not going to be enough for me,” says this year’s #5 pick, outfielder Jarred Kelenic.  “My ultimate goal is the Hall Of Fame."

Okay, maybe not everybody feels those pressures.

Kelenic is nothing if not self-assured.  He went on to say, “I'm always looking for the highest competitive opportunity and biggest stage. Ever since I was really young, I wanted to play this game for a living and be considered alongside the best people ever to play the game.”  He has been training for a professional baseball career seemingly since he could swing a bat.  He showed such focus and commitment that his father, a general contractor by trade, purchased a large track of land near their Waukesha home and built a ten field baseball complex that now hosts several prestigious tournaments.  Near that complex, the elder Kelenic also developed a state of the art training complex that includes a 33,000 square foot indoor practice field and 11 batting cages where Kelenic has honed his near flawless swing and batting eye.  The NX Level sports training facility has become the off season training home of NFL brothers, and Wisconsin natives, J.J., Derek, and T.J. Watt, and LA Dodgers prospect, Gavin Lux.  With his parents, NFL stars, and fellow MLB prospects surrounding him, Kelenic has no shortage of positive role models and support.

Kelenic never played high school baseball due to the weather conditions pushing the high school season in Wisconsin into the summer, instead opting to play on traveling teams during the fall and spring.  For the past two summers he has also been a member of the USA U18 National Team.  The team won gold medals both summers and Kelenic was the MVP of the tournament in 2016 at just 16 years of age.  Matt Blood, program director for the U18 National Team, said, "What stood out was how physical he was and how far he hit the baseball -- harder than everybody else, even though he was younger.  He plays the game with a fierce intensity. He can affect the game with all five tools.  He's one of the most intrinsically motivated, dedicated and focused workers you'll ever find."

Kelenic has a very fundamentally and mechanically sound swing, thanks to a training regime that sees him take at least 300 swings in the batting cages every morning.  He has an uncanny knack for barreling up the baseball that helps him generate plus power from the left side.  He is a disciplined hitter with excellent pitch recognition skills and already has a polished, patient approach at the plate.  Scouts see a complete hitter with high average, high on base, and high power numbers when he matures.

Kelenic’s speed aids him in playing an above average center field now.  If he slows as he develops, he could move to a corner outfield spot and still be a plus defender capable of impacting a team from the defensive side of the ball.  Kelenic’s throws have been clocked as high as 96 mph, so a plus arm comes with the defensive package and would fit very well in right field.  Rating as a plus tool now, Kelenic has the speed to also be a factor on the base paths. Even if he fills out, his athleticism and instincts will still allow him to be a plus base runner if not a base stealer.

As one might have surmised already, Kelenic is also highly praised for his work ethic and intensity.  What some have seen as cockiness, most simply see as a fiery demeanor and a very high level of self-assurance.  The intense nature with which he plays the game should not come as much surprise considering the intense nature with which he prepares.  Kelenic is the proverbial “gym rat” who lives and breathes baseball.  It is his passion and he shows that passion in the cage, in his training, and on the field in his play.  It is the same type of intensity and passion that has made J.J. Watt a three time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and should help Kelenic develop his considerable tools as he aims to become a true five-tool player.

Grants Pass Brewers GM, Brandon Crews, commented, “You can't fault any of the teams ahead of us for their picks, but we're thrilled to get Jarred at #5.  He's a five tool talent that we think has the potential to develop into the best player in this draft.  He's a hard worker who's put in the time and effort to develop into a very polished high school hitter, despite coming from the cold of Wisconsin.  We'll be patient with Jarred and look forward to him being a cornerstone of the franchise as we build towards future championships.”

The best player in this draft, with the likes of Joey Bart, Casey Mize, Nick Madrigal, and Alec Bohm to contend with?  It very well could come to pass.  This cold weather player is not to be underestimated.
If something exciting happens around the Mutinysphere, expect to read it first at the Bird Call! - Prospects, Rumors, Reports, and Features - Contact Editor in Chief - Bul Matthewson (thebuland@gmail.com) with any further info or questions.  Rumormongering encouraged.

Re: Prospect Snapshot: Hot Talent From the Cold North

Reply #1
These writeups are awesome, keep them coming!!!
The only problem is at this rate the season will be over before my 1st round pick is highlighted. Boo :(

As for Kelenic specifically, my Mets fanboy comes out in full force. I'm all in.
Counting down the days until the Mets screw him up though. It's only a matter of time...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Re: Prospect Snapshot: Hot Talent From the Cold North

Reply #2
These writings are good, I'm far behind and have only skimmed a few parts of the paragraphs.

August and the first part of September have been a blur for me.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)