Skip to main content
Topic: GIG-2019 Round 11 (Read 3496 times) previous topic - next topic

GIG-2019 Round 11

It's time to start focusing on division and WC winners, MVP watching, CY watching, and predicting excellent 3-game match-ups between division and playoff contenders.  But still some questions will involve players/teams that are out of the running just to try to keep it fun for everyone. 

A note: It would be wise for me to keep the status quo regarding point possibilities, since I'm just 2 points out of the lead.  But where's the fun in that?? So, for the benefit of those nearer the back of the pack, I'm going to start adding some risky choices to the questions which also include negative points if you leap for the big points but fail. 

Good luck!

1) Division Watch: 
The ACL's magic number is 13, which means they may wrap up the Caray title before the end of this round. Congrats to the ACLs on another great regular season.  Unless the Sweets and/or Landlubbers go an an absolute tear as we enter into the home stretch, there's only one division title still reachable within a 13-game set, and everybody has been aware of its competition level since before the season began: the Scully.  The Blues hold a 1-game lead over the Dogs (who play a 3-game set against one another at Coors Field in Round 11), and the Koi are just 5 games back after a very impressive run in Round 10.
Question: Which team will be on top by the end of Round 11?  I'm going to give you several options with varying points to choose from:
- For one point: choose the Blues or the Dogs.
- For 4 points, choose the Koi (if they tie, this choice counts).  BUT: if they Koi aren't tied or in the lead you'll lose 1 point.
- For 2 points, choose "Tie" (and to be clear, if the Koi are in the tie mix and you chose them, you'll get 4 points)

2) The Wildcard race in the KML is getting really fun to watch.
Congrats to the Kraken and Landlubbers in the Harwell who seem to have a solid grip on a playoff spot.  But congrats are also in order to the Cache Hogs, Rougarou, and Rum Runners for putting together fine seasons so far as well.  These 3 teams are are within 3 games of each other, with the Hogs currently up 2 games on the Rougarou and 3 on the RR for the final WC spot.  Shout out to Shane's Devils, but for the purpose of predicting what will happen within the next 13 games, I'm gonna leave the OCD out of this set of questions.
Question: Which team will own the #2 WC spot by the end of Round 11?
- For one point, choose the Hogs.
- For 3 points, choose the Lakeview Rougarou, but you'll lose 1 point if they're not tied or in the lead.
- For 4 points, choose the Chicago Rum Runners, but you'll lose 1 point if they're not tied or in the lead.

3) MVP Watch, "Fantasy-Five Version":
I think most - if not all of you - would agree with me that there is not yet a clear emerging top candidate for Mutiny MVP just yet. ALL the top candidates have flaws in one or two significant numbers (i.e. tons of K's, low BA, OBP, or RBI, way behind in HR totals but excelling elsewhere...).  So I'm going to make you work for this one, and thus, me too (when calculating the totals two weeks from now!).  This question is tricky, so get your calculator out and pay attention.  Seriously.  Get your calculator app open and follow the instructions...
The particulars: We're going to count up the total number between the standard 5 fantasy baseball stats used in most leagues: Hits, Runs, HRs, RBI, and SBs.  The leaderboard for the total of these 5 categories currently is Mr. Jose Ramirez (Kraken), with 431.  The next players in line are as follows:
- Mike Trout, 419 (Hogs)
Tier Two:
- Christian Yelich, 379 (Landlubbers)
- Scooter Gennett, 378 (Kraken)
Tier Three:
- Mookie Betts, 365 (ACLs)
- Khris Davis, 359 (Rum Runners)
- Javier Baez, 355 (ACLs)
Once we get under 355, while these fine players have had impressive seasons, we're moving into names that don't have much business being discussed in the MVP chase at this point in the season (save for unbelievable last-quarter streaks), but I'm not gonna let that stop you from being so risky, it might be considered stoopid:
Tier Four:
- Fransico Lindor, 345 (ACLs)
- David Peralta, 341 (Bums)
- Giancarlo Stanton, 340 (Koi)
- Jose Abreu, 339 (Dogs)
- Trevor Story, 336 (Argo)
- Eugenio Suarez, 328 (Blues)
Now, here's one more important detail: Mike Trout has reached a 127% PTL vLHP and is no longer allowed to start against them (Chris, please make this change... and Rod, please alert Chris to this as he hasn't answered GIG questions in many weeks).
HERE'S THE QUESTION:
a) Which player will have the most accumulated points at the end of Round 11?
- For 2 points (and no penalty), choose Ramirez or Trout
- For 4 points (with a -1 penalty if you're wrong), choose a Tier Two player (Yelich or Gennett)
- For 7 points (with a -2 penalty), choose a Tier Three player
- For 10 points (with a -3 penalty), choose a Tier Four player
b) Bonus points: What will the total number be for the TOP player?  (4 points if you nail it, 3 if you're within 3, 2 if you're within 7, 1 if you're within 10).

4) Cy Young Watch:
For review purposes, a starting pitcher is considered "qualified" when he has pitched 1 inning per games played. That puts our number at 132 as we start Round 11.  And of course, that means 162 for the end of the season when we're considering the Cy Young Award. 
That said, the Blues' Chris Sale has done it.  He's pitched his last game for the 2019 regular season, and finished 19-0, with 168 IPs.  No other qualified pitcher has finished the season undefeated in Mutiny Simulation Baseball history, as far as I know.  David/Matt - can you help me out on that?
But hold EVERYTHING! The Hogs' Max Scherzer will pitch until the season ends, AND, he and Sale go 1-2 (Scherzer-Sale) in the following: ERA (1.81-2.14) K's (278-262), WHIP (0.68-0.93), H/9 (4.7-6.2), BAA (.152-.189), OPSA (.476-.527), while Sale leads Scherzer (again, 1-2 vs. every other pitcher) in SLGA, Wins, and HR/9. 
But don't stop there!  Jacob deGrom and Aaron Nola will finish the season out, and they're both in the top 5 in most of those categories.
For the sake of just 13 games being played in Round 11, the questions are going to simply the top two boys, Sale and Scherzer.
QUESTIONS: (consider that Scherzer will start two games on the road this round: against the Madmen and the Rougarou)
a) Scherzer is 3 one-thousandths of a point behind Sale in slugging % against (.272-275).  For 1 point, will Scherzer be .271 or under at the end of Round 11? (yes or no)
b) Scherzer is averaging 11.6 K's per 9 innings, and is averaging 8 innings per start (amazing!).  He has 278 total K's entering Round 11.  With 2 starts on the docket, will he get to 300 (or above) by the end of Round 11? 
-- "yes" = 3 points, but if you're wrong, you'll get -1
-- "no" = 1 point
c) Scherzer's W-L record is 16-4 entering Round 11.  For 2 points, guess his W-L record at the end of Round 11.

5) Match-ups of the week (and we have some GREAT ones):
Choose the winners of the following 3-game series being played in Round 11:
August 28-30:
a) Rougarou @ Kraken
b) Koi @ Sweets
c) ACLs @ Landlubbers
September 3-5
d) Blues @ Dogs
e) Hogs @ Rougarou
f) Landlubbers @ Rum Runners
g) You may pick up to TWO sweeps for the risk of 3 points.  If they don't sweep, you lose 1 point.  Name the ONE or TWO teams you think will sweep their series here.  In the case of the Landlubbers and Rougarou, specify which series (since they're listed twice). Leave blank if you wish.

Total possible points for Round 11 sounds insane and is highly unlikely, but here it is: 39
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: GIG-2019 Round 11

Reply #1
1) Blues
2) Rougarou
3a) Ramirez
b) 477
4a) no
b) no
c) 17-5
5a) Kraken
b) Koi
c) Landlubbers
d) Blues (of course!)
e) Rougarou
f) Landlubbers
g) ____________

Reply #2
1. Bums . . . . . . Ahahahahahhaha!!!!! Actually, let's go with the Blues

2. Hogs

3a. Jose Ramirez
3b. 475

4a. Yes
4b. Yes
4c. 18-4

5a. Kraken
5b. Koi
5c. ACL's
5d. Blues
5e. Rougarou
5f. Rum Runners
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #3
Robots predict:
1 - Dogs
2 - Hogs
3a - Ramirez
3b - 470
4a - NO
4b - YES
4c - 17-5
5a - Kraken
5b - Koi
5c -ACLs
5d - Dogs
5e - Hogs
5f - R'Runners
5g - N/A

Reply #4
Kyle, for question #3, does a tie for tier leader count as "leading"?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #5
1. Dogs
2. Hogs
3a. Ramirez
3b. 469
4a. Over .271
4b. Over 300
4c. 17-4
5a. Kraken
5b. Sweets
5c. Landlubbers
5d. Dogs
5e. Cache Hogs
5f. Rum Runners
5g. Kraken over Rougarou August 28 - 30, Cache Hogs over Rougarou September 3-5 (sorry Brian, that's just what my sims are showing)
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #6
1. SDogs
2. CHogs
3. Ramirez, 474
4. Over .271, Over 300, 17-4
5a. Kraken
5b. Sweets
5c. ACLs
5d. SDogs
5e. CHogs
5f. Rum Runners
5g. No sweeps
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #7
Kyle, for question #3, does a tie for tier leader count as "leading"?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The question is which player (among all of them) will have the most tallied points.  Including Ramirez and Trout.  The reason you get more points for picking a tier two (or higher) player is because it's a risky play - that they'd be higher than Ramirez or Trout in the next 13 games.  So no, ties don't count for lower than the top score.

Reply #8
I'm not sure what you're asking. The question is which player (among all of them) will have the most tallied points.  Including Ramirez and Trout.  The reason you get more points for picking a tier two (or higher) player is because it's a risky play - that they'd be higher than Ramirez or Trout in the next 13 games.  So no, ties don't count for lower than the top score.

Thanks. I misunderstood the question and this clarifies it for me. I thought we got to pick which person would be the leader within their tier. For example, I thought it meant that I could choose to answer who would be the leader in Tier 3 (Betts, Davis, Baez) for higher points since it would be harder to pick the leader from three players vs two.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #9
1) Blues
2) Hogs
3a) Ramirez
b) 464
4a) Yes
b) Yes
c) 17-4
5a) Kraken
b) Koi
c) ACL
d) Blues
e) Hogs
f) Rum Runners
g) ____________
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #10
Assuming the deadline won't be before this afternoon, I'll answer my questions at lunchtime today.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #11
Thanks. I misunderstood the question and this clarifies it for me. I thought we got to pick which person would be the leader within their tier. For example, I thought it meant that I could choose to answer who would be the leader in Tier 3 (Betts, Davis, Baez) for higher points since it would be harder to pick the leader from three players vs two.
Ah, I get it.  That gives me an idea for future questions, though!

Reply #12
1) Division Watch: 
- Dogs.

2) The Wildcard race in the KML is getting really fun to watch.
- For 4 points, choose the Chicago Rum Runners, but you'll lose 1 point if they're not tied or in the lead.

3) MVP Watch, "Fantasy-Five Version":
a) Ramirez
b) 450

4) Cy Young Watch:
For review purposes, a starting pitcher is considered "qualified" when he has pitched 1 inning per games played. That puts our number at 132 as we start Round 11.  And of course, that means 162 for the end of the season when we're considering the Cy Young Award. 
That said, the Blues' Chris Sale has done it.  He's pitched his last game for the 2019 regular season, and finished 19-0, with 168 IPs.  No other qualified pitcher has finished the season undefeated in Mutiny Simulation Baseball history, as far as I know.  David/Matt - can you help me out on that?
But hold EVERYTHING! The Hogs' Max Scherzer will pitch until the season ends, AND, he and Sale go 1-2 (Scherzer-Sale) in the following: ERA (1.81-2.14) K's (278-262), WHIP (0.68-0.93), H/9 (4.7-6.2), BAA (.152-.189), OPSA (.476-.527), while Sale leads Scherzer (again, 1-2 vs. every other pitcher) in SLGA, Wins, and HR/9. 
But don't stop there!  Jacob deGrom and Aaron Nola will finish the season out, and they're both in the top 5 in most of those categories.
For the sake of just 13 games being played in Round 11, the questions are going to simply the top two boys, Sale and Scherzer.
QUESTIONS: (consider that Scherzer will start two games on the road this round: against the Madmen and the Rougarou)
a) Yes
b) Yes
c) 18-4

5) Match-ups of the week (and we have some GREAT ones):
Choose the winners of the following 3-game series being played in Round 11:
August 28-30:
a) Rougarou
b) Koi
c) ACLs
September 3-5
d) Dogs
e) Rougarou
f) Rum Runners
g) ACL's and Rum Runners

Total possible points for Round 11 sounds insane and is highly unlikely, but here it is: 39
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #13
1 Blues
2 Hogs
3a Ramirez
3b 466
4a yes
4b no
4c 17-4
5a Kraken
5b Koi
5c ACLs
5d Blues
5e Rougarou
5f Landlubbers
5g Kraken, Koi
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #14
1) Tie
2)  Hogs
3) a) Ramirez
b) 468
4) a) yes
b) yes
c) 18-4
5) a) Kraken
b) Koi
c) ACLs