Skip to main content
Topic: GIG-2019 Round 12 - MEGA final Round (Read 2461 times) previous topic - next topic

GIG-2019 Round 12 - MEGA final Round

Welcome to the MEGA-Round!  The last Game Inside the Game Round of the 2019 Season.  This round, plus the "Division, WS, and Awards" predictions you made at the beginning of the season will be the last two rounds added to your current total.  As you can see, if you click the link, some of the predictions from the beginning of the year won't be tallied until the World Series is over.

This round has nearly double the questions as a usual round, but I've tried to keep you from having to use a calculator to answer the questions.  Plenty of risks/rewards, however. Also, I haven't even tried to tally up the "points possible" for this round.  The risk/reward questions make that almost silly.

Here we go!

1) With 22 games left to go, we've got 5 teams within reasonable reach of the best record in the league. 
Dogs 94 wins
Kraken 93 wins
ACLs 92 wins
Blues 92 wins
Koi 90 wins
For 2 points, pick one of the current top 4 teams to have the best record at the end of the regular season (Pythagorean Theorem will be used to break ties, meaning ties by W/L record will not count).
For 5 points, pick the Koi, with the risk of losing 2 points if you're wrong.

Since the "Divisions, WS, Awards" prediction questions didn't include WildCard winners, let's do some of that with the next two questions...

2) It's going to be fun to watch the Scully Division finish up.  It's crazy: The 3rd place Koi are on pace to win 102 games!  Any of the top 3 teams could win the division, OR have the 2nd Wildcard, and in the truly insane department, the Miners could go on a tear and contend for a playoff spot as well!  I guess it all comes down to team depth at this point, doesn't it?
Current Standings:
Dogs 94-51
Blues 92-53
Koi 90-55
Miners 82-63
Questions:
a) Who will win the Scully Division? (ties count)
- For 2 points, pick the Dogs to win the Scully.  No penalty if wrong.
- For 4 points, pick the Blues to win it. -1 penalty if wrong.
- For 6 points, pick the Koi to win it. - 2 penalty if wrong.
b) Bonus question: For 8 points, pick the Miners to win a playoff spot (a tie will count).  -3 if you're wrong.  (leave blank if you wish)

3) In the KML, while the divisions are pretty much decided, and the Landlubbers have a 9 game lead on 2 other teams, four teams are within 6 games of one another for the last WC spot.
Hogs 75-70
Rum Runners 75-70
Rougarou 71-74
Devils 69-76
Name the team who will win the 2nd WC spot in the KML. (ties count, even if the team you picked loses the one-game playoff)
- For 2 points, pick the Hogs or Rum Runners. No penalty.
- For 4 points, pick the Rougarou.  If you're wrong, that's -1.
- For 8 points, pick the Devils.  If you're wrong, -3 points.

4) Win streak alert!  Well, actually, let's look at TWO!  The Kraken have a 5 game win streak going.  And next to the Koi, the other hot team is the Rum Runners, with a current 4 game win streak.
a) Where will the current Kraken streak end?  2 points if you nail it, 1 if you're 1 off.
b) Where will the current Rum Runner streak end?  2 points if you nail it, 1 if you're 1 off.

5) How many wins will your team end up with at regular season's end?  3 points if you nail it, 2 if you're 1 off, 1 if you're within two.

6) The red-hot Koi have the best Inter-League record at 33-13, followed closely by the ACLs (32-14) and the Blues (30-16).
All 20 teams have just 4 Inter-League games left.
The Koi are @ Landlubbers and @ Rougarou (2 games each)
The ACLs host both the Argonauts and the Miners (2 games each)
The Blues are @ Rattlers, and @ Hogs (2 games each)
Question: Which team will finish the season with the best Inter-League record? (ties will count)
- For 2 points, pick the Koi. No penalty.
- For 3 points, pick the ACLs.  -1 if you're wrong.
- For 5 points, pick the Blues. -2 if you're wrong.

7) Part of the reason the Rum Runners have caught that 2nd WC spot is due to Khris Davis having a phenomenal 2nd half, now leading the league with 53 home runs (2nd place is the Kraken's Jose Ramirez with 45).  According to the RR's team profile, Davis should have no problem finishing a full season, and is slated to start full time against righties (hitting 6th), and 2/3 times against lefties (hitting 4th).
Question: How many HRs will Davis finish the season with?  2 if you nail it, 1 if you're within 1.

8 ) Finally, let's have some fun with EVERY matchup Sept 20-22, the final 3 games of the season.  Predict the winner of each 3-game matchup.  And you *may* choose (you don't have to) UP TO 3 SWEEPS.  Just type "sweep" next to the team you choose to win the series.  If you're correct in calling the sweep, you get an additional 3 points.  If you're wrong, you don't get credit for calling the winner, and you lose one point.
a) Rum Runners @ ACLs
b) Sweets @ Blues
c) Rainiers @ Miners
d) Landlubbers @ Devils
e) Cutthroats @ Dogs
f) Kraken @ Hogs
g) Rattlers @ Rougarou
h) Argonauts @ Koi
i) Brewers @ Bums
j) Madmen @ Robots
(easiest way to write your answers is to copy and past the 10 matchups, then erase the loser.)

Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure coordinating the GIG this year.  Good luck to you all!
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: GIG-2019 Round 12 - MEGA final Round

Reply #1
1) Blues, baby!
2a) Blues, baby!
2b) _________
3) Hogs
4a) 7
4b) 7
5) 107
6) Koi
7) 61
8a) ACLs
b) Blues
c) Miners
d) Landlubbers
e) Dogs *sweep
f) Hogs
g) Rougarou *sweep
h) Koi
i) Brewers
j) Robots

Reply #2
Thanks for doing this Kyle. It's been fun and kept up interest throughout the year.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #3
1) ACLs
2a) SDogs
2b) Not going to happen (sorry Miners)
3) Rum Runners
4a) 6
4b) 4
5) 106
6) Koi
7) 59
8a) ACLs
b) Blues
c) Miners
d) Landlubbers
e) SDogs
f) Hogs
g) Rougarou
h) Argos
i) Brewers
j) Madmen
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #4
1) Kraken
2)
a) Dogs
b)
3) Rum Runners
4)
a) Five
b) Six
5) 89
6) ACLs
7) 59 (I did move Davis up to 4th in both lineups).
8 )
a) Rum Runners
b) Blues
c) Miners
d) Landlubbers Sweep
e) Dogs Sweep
f) Kraken
g) Rougarou
h) Koi
i) Brewers
j) Madmen

**removed 93 wins from question 1 and all the spaces between answers.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #5
1 – Blues
2a – Blues, 2b - BLANK
3 - Rumrunners
4a – 2nd game, 4b – 2nd game
5 – Rougarou - 81
6- Koi
7- 58 homers
a) ACLs
b) Blues SWEEP
c) Miners SWEEP
d) Landlubbers
e) Dogs SWEEP
f) Kraken
g) Rougarou
h) Koi
i) Bums
j) Robots
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #6
1. Dogs
2. a) Dogs
2. b)
3. Rougarou
4. a) 5
4. b) 6
5) 95
6) Blues
7) 60
8)
a) ACLs
b) Blues
c) Miners
d) Landlubbers
e) Dogs
f) Kraken
g) Rougarou
h) Koi
i) Brewers
j) Robots
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #7
1. ACLs
2. (Ummm, I take a little umbrage that the Bums are not listed in the current standings. We're not challenging for anything at all, but we're still part of the 'current standings' of the division aren't we?!?)
a. Blues
b.
3. Runners
4a. 7
4b. 6
5. 64
6. ACLs
7. 57
8a) ACLs
b) Blues
c) Miners
d) Landlubbers
e) Dogs
f) Kraken
g) Rougarou
h) Koi
i) Bums
j) Madmen
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #8
1. Kraken
2a. Dogs
2b.
3. Rum Runners
4a. 7
4b. 5
5. 87 (Argonauts)
6. Koi
7. 58
8a. ACLs
8b. Blues
8c. Miners
8d. Landlubbers
8e. Dogs
8f. Kraken
8g. Rougarou
8h. Koi
8i. Bums
8j. Robots
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #9
1. Blues
2a. Blues
2b.
3. Hogs
4a. 6
4b. 5
5. 101 (Krakens)
6. ACL's
7. 56
8a. ACL's
8b. Blues
8c. Miners
8d. Devils
8e. Dogs
8f. Hogs
8g. Rougarou
8h. Argonauts
8i. Bums
8j. Robots
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #10
Robots predict:
1. ACLs
2 a Blues
   b n/a
3. Hogs
4. a 6
    b 5
5. 64
6. ACls
7 . 61
8. a ACls
    b Blues
    c Miners SWEEP
    d Landlubbers
    e Dogs
    f Kraken
    g Rattlers
    h Koi
    i Bums
    j Robots

Reply #11
1) Dogs. I got some serious PT issues down the stretch but not picking them would give my team some bad voodoo.

2a) Well this kind of has to be my Dogs based on my answer to #1
2b) Sorry David, I really thought this was your year. But it's not happening my friend

3) Rum Runners

4a) 5
4b) 7

5) 104

6) ACL's

7) 59

8:
a) ACLs
b) Blues
c) Miners (sweep)
d) Landlubbers (sweep)
e) Dogs (although I don't know who will still be pitching for me by this point, could be scary)
f) Kraken
g) Rougarou (sweep)
h) Koi
i) Bums
j) Madmen
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #12
Thanks for doing this Kyle. It's been fun and kept up interest throughout the year.

Agreed. It was fun. I just wish I wouldn't have forgotten to make picks that one week...

Thanks again
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #13
Final GIG is closed
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #14
2. (Ummm, I take a little umbrage that the Bums are not listed in the current standings. We're not challenging for anything at all, but we're still part of the 'current standings' of the division aren't we?!?)
You made me look up the word "umbrage," dangit! :)

So I had your Bums added to the list, but then I didn't want the added confusion of picking your team for some sort of "hidden" risk question.  You'll have your day in the sun 2 years from now when you're clinching the division in late August.  Patience, my friend.