Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 MSB Farm System Rankings (Read 1811 times) previous topic - next topic

2019 MSB Farm System Rankings

I have finished this years team write ups and league rankings and will begin posting them next Monday.  There will be polls like last year accompanying each list and I'm hoping to get as many of you as possible to complete the polls so we can again have a league consensus team rankings to go along with the Prospect Central rankings that go along with the articles.

I look forward to the discussions!  Let's have some fun with this.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: 2019 MSB Farm System Rankings

Reply #1
Looking forward to it. Great timing to do it now during this dead-time until we start up the auctions.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #2
The votes have been tallied.  Following is the Consensus Rankings (based on voting) and the Prospect Central Rankings (my personal list).

Thank you to all who participated.

League Consensus Rankings           Prospect Central Rankings
1. Bako Bums                                      1. Bako Bums
2. Ankeny ACL's                                  2. Ankeny ACL’s
3. River City Cutthroats                       3. Arizona Koi
4. Arizona Koi                                      4. River City Cutthroats
5. Lakeview Rougarou                         5. Windy City Rattlers
6. Motor City Madman                       6. Data City Cache Hogs
7. Data City Cache Hogs                     7. Motor City Madmen
8. Windy City Rattlers                         8. Lakeview Rougarou
9. Phoenix Miners                               9. Phoenix Miners
10. Ann Arbor Landlubbers                10. Chicago Rum Runners
11. Chicago Rum Runners                  11. Ann Arbor Landlubbers
12. Grants Pass Brewers                     12. Grants Pass Brewers
13. Mother Lode Argonauts               13. Mother Lode Argonauts
14. Walla Walla Sweets                        14. Roxbury Robots
15. Roxbury Robots                            15. Scurvy Dogs
16. Scurvy Dogs                                 16. Walla Walla Sweets
17. Brooklyn Kraken                           17. Brooklyn Kraken
18. Seattle Rainiers                             18. Moonstruck Blues
19. Moonstruck Blues                        19. Seattle Rainiers
20. Orange County Devils                  20. Orange County Devils
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #3
So, what do you think?
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #4
Well, I strongly disagree about that #1 ranking. :) Actually, I think it matches pretty well, although it is funny in seeing that group from 5 to 8 being completely flipped between your rankings and the groups.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #5
Our two systems are so closely matched.  High end talent at the top and loads of depth following it up.  Come five years it could literally go either way as to which of us has the better return on our present rankings.  I have more positional talent, while you have more high end pitching talent.  And SP being the Golden Ticket, if Soroka maintains his rookie production, Kopech/Honeywell can regain anything close to their pre-injury level, May becomes Gingergaard, and Garcia, Gray, Balazovic, Richardson take it another notch, your ACL's could be set for the next decade in the rotation.  I do like my high ceiling positional depth though.  I'm hopeful of fielding a full homegrown infield of Alonso at 1B, B. Lowe/Madrigal at 2B, Rodgers/Lewis/Witt/Mateo at SS/3B.

Overall though, I'm envious of your teams position.  Winning now with a strong major league team (that looks to be one of the class teams next season too), and fielding a top level farm system.  Best of both worlds.  That's where I want my Bums to be.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #6
Great job, Brendt! I don’t much like being nearly last, but I suppose I deserve being down there. A combination of trading away some very good pieces, and a lack of study time over the last couple years when the minor-league draft comes up on the calendar.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #7
I used a mathematical formula based on the average of the prospect's rank on the spreadsheet we received. I came up with the following rankings along with each team's "score" per my formula. Please note that there may some differences in how I ranked teams originally as I tweaked the formula after the original posts.

League Consensus Rankings           Prospect Central Rankings                          Kraken Rankings
1. Bako Bums                                      1. Bako Bums                                             1. Bako Bums (148.72)
2. Ankeny ACL's                                  2. Ankeny ACL’s                                         2. Data City Cache Hogs (123.55)
3. River City Cutthroats                       3. Arizona Koi                                            3. Arizona Koi (118.29)
4. Arizona Koi                                      4. River City Cutthroats                             4. Ankeny ACL's (110.30)
5. Lakeview Rougarou                         5. Windy City Rattlers                               5. River City Cutthroats (95.29)
6. Motor City Madman                       6. Data City Cache Hogs                           6. Mother Lode Argonauts (91.45)
7. Data City Cache Hogs                     7. Motor City Madmen                             7. Lakeview Rougharou (89.29)
8. Windy City Rattlers                         8. Lakeview Rougarou                               8. Phoenix Miners (85.62)
9. Phoenix Miners                               9. Phoenix Miners                                     9. Windy City Rattlers (82.49)
10. Ann Arbor Landlubbers                10. Chicago Rum Runners                        10. Ann Arbor Landlubbers (80.96)
11. Chicago Rum Runners                  11. Ann Arbor Landlubbers                      11. Motor City Madmen (75.62)
12. Grants Pass Brewers                     12. Grants Pass Brewers                            12. Brooklyn Kraken (69.44)
13. Mother Lode Argonauts               13. Mother Lode Argonauts                     13. Grants Pass Brewers (64.50)
14. Walla Walla Sweets                        14. Roxbury Robots                                 14. Roxbury Robots (61.21)
15. Roxbury Robots                            15. Scurvy Dogs                                        15. Walla Walla Sweets (60.94)
16. Scurvy Dogs                                 16. Walla Walla Sweets                             16. Scurvy Dogs (59.87)
17. Brooklyn Kraken                           17. Brooklyn Kraken                                 17. Chicago Rum Runners (49.98)
18. Seattle Rainiers                             18. Moonstruck Blues                              18. Moonstruck Blues (33.87)
19. Moonstruck Blues                        19. Seattle Rainiers                                   19. Seattle Raniers (20.24)
20. Orange County Devils                  20. Orange County Devils                        20. Orange County Devils (11.38)

The biggest "winners" using my system were the Hogs and Argonauts with the higher quantity of mid-ranked prospects. The biggest dropper in my ranking was the Rum Runners with their hopes seeming to rest nearly entirely on a couple high ranked prospects being offset with a higher quantity of unranked prospects.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #8
That is really cool Dan.  Thanks.  A more purely analytic look at the prospects.  Very interesting.  I liken it to the more analytic rankings FanGraphs does with The Board rankings they keep updated.

Your Kraken rose quite a bit as well.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #9
Awesome job Brendt!  And thanks for the bump Dan!
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts