Skip to main content
Topic: On The Run, Volume 1- Number 6 (Read 2103 times) previous topic - next topic

On The Run, Volume 1- Number 6

One day, many moons ago in high school upon making my decision for college I had the thoughts of being a sports journalist. I only applied to two schools and both have changed names, since I would've attended and graduated. One of them was higher in communication and would have been a fit for that dream, but the visit just wasn't what I wanted. The other also offered a communications, but I just didn't like writing and English wasn't always my strongest subject. So I chose drafting and stayed with it. That decision has brought me a few things, I met my wife our freshman year at UCM previously CMSU and one of my best friends although he's a Cardinals fan brought me into our fraternity, AKL. Those two events have effected where I've lived, worked and who I've met over the last 21 years.

So this has little to do with baseball, but it does have something to do with life. I love what I do now even though my passion has become sports. One thing I've been thinking about is how did the Rum Runners get to this point. Ownership has been solid with a winning record, unless what is shown is wrong. I don't know what 2017 will lead to, that's why we play the games. And has Herman Edwards said, "You play to win the game" and I agree with that. Players, coaches and managers all working in the same direction to be the best they can be, man I'm rolling out quotes and cliches this morning. General Management although no one will ever admit will sometimes have a different strategy and losing for a period of time, the Chicago Cubs from 2012 to 2014 are a prime example. 2015 some will refer to as a year early, they were swept in the NLCS. 2016 they won the World Series in seven great baseball games.

Again, what is this guy rambling about? This doesn't have anything to do with the Rum Runners or Sim baseball. Our does it? See one thing I noticed, not one player from the promotion class of 2013 was extended. I don't know the reason ahs cannot explain. Did the previous GM not want to spend the extra cash the last two years for the extra year of team control? Were the rules not understood, you can never ask a dumb question? Another cliche. I plan to extend players when possible, if I can save 5M in that 5th year as opposed to sinking it into a free agent I will do that. If I can get a HTD applied to a free agent, I'll do that as well. I'm not opposed to saving money.

Another thing I noticed yesterday, I have no inaugural contract extension (ICE) eligible players on my roster. Were they traded? Were there no promotions? Or did they just not pan out and were released? This does create a gap in the roster composition, a gap I intend to close. A team needs to have tiers in my opinion to be successful and create a stream of players to the majors or assets to be traded. Each player has a purpose and a GM needs a goal. My goal, a championship in this league.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Re: On The Run, Volume 1- Number 6

Reply #1
yeah, unfortunately the archives were lost or else you could have answered some of those questions.
I was hoping to go over last years FA to see how this all works but instead we will learn our lessons through trial and error. It appears this league has a much more structured and enforced rule book than my other leagues so I'm optimistic. 
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #2
yeah, unfortunately the archives were lost or else you could have answered some of those questions.
I was hoping to go over last years FA to see how this all works but instead we will learn our lessons through trial and error. It appears this league has a much more structured and enforced rule book than my other leagues so I'm optimistic. 

Actually, the Excel file that was sent out as a lot of the information on when players were acquired and traded and all of that. It might give some insights into who was available for what. Again, you won't know why a GM made the decisions that he did, but you could at least see what cards he had at the time.

Brent, if you want, I can send you the roster of your team at the end of each season, so you could see what were the team's options. It might not be perfect, but might give you some insight.

For example for the ACLs this year, I don't have good options for an ICE. I basically can decide to extend Jurickson Profar, and that's risky either way. He played a full season last year (YEAH), but wasn't great either (BOO). Could be your previous owner had that type of decision and thought it would be better to save the money. But I don't know either.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #3
As Jason alluded to, the ICE by design isn't a slam dunk decision for the non-Trout/Harper level talent pool. In some cases it's better to just take the 2 years at $250k vs 3 years at $2 mill. There are many factors at play.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #4
The Cutthroats are also short on ICE contracts.  I had zero options the first year.  In choosing between Carlos Martinez and Yaisel Puig, I chose incorrectly.  This year I don't have any clear options.  Wacha? When to promote players based on the potential use of ICE is a strategy that can be missed.

-------------------------------

To clarify, not all archives were lost.  A great resources is the Excel file that Jason references. The final spreadsheet for each year is available on the left hand side of the website (Archived Rosters).  Also, on the left hand side of the navigation most transaction history is available (Trades, Draft, etc).  The data is there, but I'm still working on formatting.  The one area that is incomplete is Free Agency.  There really isn't an easy way to transfer over that information, so I'm behind on copying Free Agency signings over from the old forums.  The search function can be very useful.

If you want anything else added (like ICE), I can add those as well.  Just let me know.

If you'd like to volunteer to transfer any information, you would not be turned away. 

Finally, the Yuku boards from 2010 to 2015 are still available and the previous version of these forums is somewhat recovered up through December (although it isn't very pretty).  I'm hoping to have it at least readable as an archive soon.
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #5
Thank you all for the input. I might look into it, but more than likely just let it go. I did generate some discussion among the boards.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)