Skip to main content
Topic: GIG 2020 Round 3 (Read 2629 times) previous topic - next topic

GIG 2020 Round 3

GIG 2020 Standings are updated.  As always, if you see any errors in scoring on my part (it happens once every few weeks, so please double check my work!), please let me know.  Spoiler alert: As if Jason didn’t have enough joy with the ACL’s thus far, he tops the GIG standings, too!

GIG 2020, Round 3 Questions

1) I just can’t start GIG 2020 questions any other way than with an “ACLs” watch, due to Jason’s unprecedented start to the season.  Winning percentage over .800.  Currently on a 9-1 streak.  They have a double-digit lead (12) in their division after just 39 games.  And a stat that’s sure to blow the mind: They have scored 182 more runs than their opposition.  To put that into perspective, there are SIX TEAMS in MSB who have yet to SCORE over 182 runs, period!  So let’s use that last stat to pose our first question:
How many MSB teams will have LESS runs scored than the ACL’s total RF/RA margin at the end of Round 3?  Bonus points: guess the ACL’s total RF/RA Margin.  On the nose = 3 points.  Off by 3 = 2 points.  Off by 6 = 1 point.

2) Let’s not lose the Phoenix Miners’ impressive start just because of Jason’s other-worldly kickoff.  The highly-hyped Scully has largely disappointed other than the soaring Miners.  They have a 6 game lead and are on a 5-game winning streak.  The offense is flying high, scoring more runs than any other team not from Ankeny.
Question: What will the Minors division lead be (right now it's at 6 games) after 52 games? Nail it = 2 pts.  One off = 1 point.

3) The Robots are really struggling, having won just 5 games.  They are the only team with single digit wins.  How many total wins will the Robots have after Round 3 (13 more games played)?  Nail it = 2 pts.  Within 1 = 1 pt. 

4) At this point in the season, I try to look for players or teams that have yet to accomplish/commit expected things. Here are a few fun stats with corresponding questions, and the way I’ve worded the question, you’ll get 2 points for correctly answering “no” (the least likely answer in terms of odds, in my humble opinion - which is all that matters regarding how points work as long as I'm asking the questions!), and 1 point for yes.
A. The Blues pitchers have yet to blow a save.  Will they blow a save during Round 3? Yes or No?
B. Four entire teams don’t have any triples yet against left-handed pitching (Argos, Madmen, Landlubbers, Rainiers).  Will ANY of these teams have at least one triple against southpaws at the end of Round 3?  Yes or No?
C. The Brewers catching tandem of Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez is the only duo yet to commit a passed ball.  Keep in mind they’re both EX rated behind the dish, and neither one had a PB in real life.  Will the Brewers remain perfect?  Yes or No?
D. The Bums’ Renato Nunez is the only MSB player with over 100 ABs against RHP without a double.  Will he finally get that 2-bagger against righties?  Yes or No?
E. The Robots and Sweets are the only two teams yet to play an extra inning game.  Will BOTH of these teams finally feel the thrill of overtime?  Yes or No?

5) Matchups:  Scoring is a little different since I noticed a loop-hole from last week’s scoring.  1 point if you guess the winner of the 3-game set.  3 points if you correctly guess a sweep.  0 points if you guess a sweep but the team you choose only wins 2 games.  -2 if you guess a sweep, and the OTHER team wins the series!
All teams involved are above .500 and all games are played May 15-17:
Battle of Preseason KML Pennant Favorites: ACLs @ Rum Runners
Battle of 2nd Place Teams: Blues @ Sweets
The Brothers Battle: Bums @ Brewers
The Commish Battle: Dogs @ Cuttys

Good luck!
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: GIG 2020 Round 3

Reply #1
1 – Three teams.  234 runs.
2 – 4 games.
3 – 8 wins.
4(A) - Yes
4(B) – Yes
4(C) – Yes
4(D) – No
4(E) – No
5 – ACLs, Blues, Bums, and Dogs
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
1 – Three teams.  52 runs.
2 – 4 games.
3 – 8 wins.
4(A) - Yes
4(B) – Yes
4(C) – Yes
4(D) – No
4(E) – No
5 – ACLs, Blues, Bums, and Dogs
David, for question 1, I'm looking for the ACL's total RF/RA margin, not how many they'll pile on just in Round 3.  So did you mean 234?

Reply #3
1) I'm predicting a "bad" round for Jason where he only improves by 16 instead of averaging over 60 per round!  Somebody has to go out on a limb.  1 team.  201
2) 3
3) 9
4a) yes
b) yes
c) yes
d) yes
e) no
5) Runners, Blues, Bums, Dogs

Edit: just thinking things over at the last minute...

Reply #4
David, for question 1, I'm looking for the ACL's total RF/RA margin, not how many they'll pile on just in Round 3.  So did you mean 234?

Thanks for noticing Kyle.  I've fixed it.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
1. I'll go with that run differential of 222, so I think 4 teams will have less runs than that. I have to admit that this has been the most shocking part to me of this run is how big the run differential has been.
2. 4 games
3. 8 games (they really suffered in the last go round with 7 games against the ACLs)
4. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No
5. ACLs, Blues, Bums and Dogs
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #6
1. 2 and 223

2. 4 Games

3. 7 games

4. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No

5. ACLs, Sweets, Bums, and Dogs (Sweep)
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #7
1) ACL run differential will be 199 with 1 team scoring less runs than that.
2) 5
3) 9
4a) yes
b) yes
c) yes
d) yes
e) no
5) RumRunners, Blues, Brewers, Dogs
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #8
Robots predict:
1. 4 teams, 245 runs
2. 5 games
3. 8 games
4.  a - Yes
     b.- Yes
     c. - Yes
     d.- No
     e.- No
5. ACLs sweep, Blues, Bums, Dogs

Reply #9
1) 2, 236
2) 4
3) 8
4a) y
b) y
c) y
d) y
e) n
5) ACLs, Blues, Brewers, Dogs
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #10
Rougarou WAG

1) 4, 222
2) 8
3) 9
4a) yes
b) no
c) yes
d) yes
e) yes
5) Rum, Sweet, Brewers, Cutty  
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #11
1) 0. The ACL’s can’t keep this up. Right? Right? Yeah, you’re right, maybe they can. Let’s change that to at least 2 and 214

2) 3 (preferably -3 but that’s not logical)

3) 9

4) No, No, Yes, Yes, No

5)
ACL’s (sweep)
Blues (sweep)
Brewums? Buwers? Such a toss up, let’s go Brewers
Dogs (sweep)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #12
1) 3, 165

2) 8

3) 9

4) At this point in the season, I try to look for players or teams that have yet to accomplish/commit expected things. Here are a few fun stats with corresponding questions, and the way I’ve worded the question, you’ll get 2 points for correctly answering “no” (the least likely answer in terms of odds, in my humble opinion - which is all that matters regarding how points work as long as I'm asking the questions!), and 1 point for yes.
A. yes
B. No
C. No
D. Yes
E. No

5) Rum Runners, Sweets (sweep), Brewers, Dogs
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS