Skip to main content
Topic: GIG-2020 Round 8 (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

GIG-2020 Round 8

We've come out of the All-Star Break and now head into a different kind of break: The MSB Minor League Draft "break" is coming up.  I believe the plan is for David to get us about a week ahead in "real time" with games run, finishing Round 8 right when we start the Minor League Draft August 2.  While the draft is running, no games will be played, meaning this should be a quickly run 13-game round.

Congrats to Shane - a 10 point performance in the lowest-scoring round we've had so far in GIG-2020.  Shane's up by 2 over David, and there's a 3-way tie for 3rd between Kyle, Matt, and Brent as we start Round 8.

Let's get to the questions:

1) What a great chase we've got going for the 2nd WildCard spot in the Frick.  The Bums and Sweets are neck-and-neck, closely followed by the Argos and Koi just 2 games back.  There's only room for ONE of these 4 fine teams come October.  I'll do some homework for you to aid you in answering the question:
The Koi face the Bums (3), Sweets (3), Kraken (5), and Dogs (2)
The Bums play the Koi (3), Argo (3), Rattlers (5) and Cuttys (2) 
The Sweets play the Argos (3), Koi (3), and Brewers (2), along with a 5-game stretch against the Hogs.
And the Argos play the Sweets (3), Bums (3), Rainers (2) and face the tough Rougarou 5 times.
Question: Which team will be holding the #2 WC at the end of Round 8? (ties count) If you say Bums or Sweets, you get 1 point.  If you say the Koi or Argos, you get 2 points.

2) The Kraken are on a 5-game winning streak and they have a very strange schedule coming out of the gate for Round 8: They play the ACLs in Ankeny twice, then host the Brewers for one game, then the Rougarou visit Brooklyn for 3 games.
Question: Which team will stop the Kraken's winning streak?  ACL'S = 1 point.  Brewers = 3 points.  Rougarou = 4 points.  And if you want to have fun and risk losing one point, you may answer "other" (meaning they'll be on an 11-game win streak after they finish off the Rougarou), and you'll get 7 points.  But -1 if you're wrong!

3) Amazingly, the Sweets still haven't lost a game when leading after 7 innings (44-0)!  This far into the season, that's remarkable.
a) Will they remain undefeated after Round 8 is complete? Yes = 2 points.  No = 1 point.
b) If "No," name the team that will finally beat them in that situation (2 points if you're correct):  Argos (3), Koi (3), Hogs (5), Brewers (2).

4) We have two mashers (The Bums Pete Alonso and the Hogs' Mike Trout) hitting home runs at a pace of 1 per every 9.5 ABs.  All other players are above 9.5.  Question: Which of these two players will stay in the single digits? Possible answers (all worth 2 points): Trout. Alonso. Both. Neither.

5) We've got some great 3-game Matchups August 2-4. Name the winner (1 point each).  Call a sweep and get 3 points, but get 0 if you're wrong.  No negative points this time around...
a) Rougarou @ Kraken
b) Koi @ Sweets
c) Bums @ Argonauts
d) Miners @ Brewers

Good luck everyone!
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: GIG-2019 Round 8

Reply #1
1. Bums

2. ACL’s

3. a) Yes

4. Both

5. Kraken, Koi, Bums, Brewers
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #2
1) Bums
2) ACLs
3) No, Hogs
4) Both
5) Kraken, Sweets, Bums, Miners

Reply #3
1) Dogs!!! Err, Bums
2) ACL’s
3a) Yes
4) Both
5) Kraken, Koi, Bums, Miners sweep (let’s go for points with that one)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #4
1.   Bums
2.   ACLs
3.   Yes
4.   Both
5.   Rougarou, Sweets, Bums, Miners sweep
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
Kyle, if you answer BOTH to question 4 is that worth 2 points or 4?
On the flip side, if you answer Trout or Alonso only and both are under 10, is that still worth 2 points or is it incorrect?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #6
1) Argos

2) ACL

3)
a) No
b) Argos

4) Trout

5)
a) Rougarou
b) Sweets
c) Argonauts sweep
d) Miners
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #7
Kyle, if you answer BOTH to question 4 is that worth 2 points or 4?
On the flip side, if you answer Trout or Alonso only and both are under 10, is that still worth 2 points or is it incorrect?
I was thinking 2.   But good distinction there... Now that I think about it, that's a poorly worded question.  I'm gonna add "neither one" and give clarity on points, then email the league if they want to edit.

Reply #8
Robots predict:
1 -  Sweets
2 - ACLs
3a - Yes
4 - Both
5 - Kraken, Sweets, Bums, Miners

Reply #9
My first chance for an Argo-centric GIG. Don't even Argo with me.

1. Argos
2. ACL's
3a. No
3b. Argos
4. Both
5a. Rougarou
5b. Sweets
5c. Argonauts
5d. Miners
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #10
1) Bums

2) ACL’s

3) a) Yes

4) Both

5)
a) Rougarou
b) Sweets
c) Bums
d) Miners
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #11
1. Bums
2. ACLs
3. Yes, N/A
4. Both
5. Kraken, Sweets, Bums, Miners
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #12
1.  Bums
2.  ACLs
3.  Yes
4.  both
5.  Kraken, Koi, Bums, Brewers
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #13
Busy day at work, I almost forgot to post this:
1.  Bums
2.  ACLs
3.  No, Hogs
4.  Trout
5.  Kraken (sweep), Sweets, Bums, Miners
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #14