Skip to main content
Topic: Gig Round 9 (Read 2335 times) previous topic - next topic

Gig Round 9

1a) Which pod will contain the team that will have the best record during the GiG cycle (8/13-8/25)? Each pod will have two outcomes – positive points if you are correct, negative points if you are wrong. And yes, ties count. So there are potentially multiple correct answers here. Note – this is strictly for these 13 games, not overall. I want to be clear about that.

Pod A (+1, -5)
o   ACL’s
Pod B (+3, -3)
o   Kraken, Miners, Blues, Brewers, Rum Runners
Pod C (+5, -2)
o   Rougarou, Sweets, Bums, Argos, Cache Hogs, Koi, Rattlers
Pod D (+7, -1)
o   Landlubbers, Dogs, Madmen, Cuttys, Devils
Pod E (+10, -0)
o   Rainiers, Robots

1b) For two points, name the team from your pod who will have the best record. Again, ties count so there are potentially multiple correct answers. Note – your selection must come from the pod you select in 1a. For example, you cannot select Pod B in 1a and the ACL’s in 1b.

2a) Tim Anderson (Rattlers) is having a rough year in the field. He’s batting a solid .310/.338/.457 with 15 HR. But he’s almost got double the number of errors at SS (29) as Sogard (16) who has the 2nd most. The question is will he expand on his lead for most SS errors? For two points, yes or no? For one point you can select that his lead will stay the same.

2b) Max Kepler (Dogs) has a healthy lead in OF assists with 16. Following him is Dyson (12), Kiermaier (11), Trout (11), JD Martinez (9), Pillar (9), etc. Side note – JD Martinez??? That’s shocking at this stage of his career. Anyway, same scoring here that we did for the SS errors. For two points, yes or no, will Kepler expand on his lead for OF assists? For one point you can select that his lead will stay the same.

3) Jeff McNeil (Sweets) is having a monster year, slashing .352/.428/.598 with 28 HR’s. But for GiG we’re interested in the fact that he has the current longest hitting streak at 15 games. For two points, at the end of the GiG will whoever has the current hit streak be higher or lower than 15 or stay the same? Note – it does not matter for the purposes of this question if McNeil maintains his hitting streak or not. The question is simply in regards to whatever the maximum current hit streak is at the end of the GiG.

4) Interesting race for the league lead in saves. Both Robles (ACL’s) and Martin (Kraken) pace the league with 25. Giles (Miners) is next with 21 followed by Ottavino (Cache Hogs) with 20. At the end of the GiG, who will have the most saves? Awarded points in parenthesis after the name.
Robles (+1), Martin (+1), Giles (+3), Ottavino (+4) or the field (+10).
Just like before, there is the potential for ties so there could be multiple correct answers.

5) 8/13 has some fun games with playoff implications. For one point each pick the winner:
Kraken at Rum Runners
Blues at Miners
Brewers at Sweets
Bums at Cache Hogs
ACL’s at Rougarou

Extra credit bonus question:
When the Dogs and Blues play H2H who do you root for?
Dogs (+0)
Blues (-1000)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Re: Gig Round 9

Reply #1
a. Pod A
b. ACL's

a. Yes
b. No

3. Lower

4. Martin

5. Kraken, Blues, Brewers, Bums, ACL's

EC: An earthquake
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #2
1) Pod A; ACLs
2) Yes; Yes
3) Lower
4) Martin
5) Kraken; Blues; Sweets; Bums; ACLs
EC) Schrute Farms is who to root for
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #3
1) B, Blues of course!
2a) no
2b) no
3) Lower
4) Martin
5) Kraken, Blues, Brewers, Bums, ACLs
EC) Hahahahahahahaaaaa!  Nice.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #4
1a) Pod B

1b) Rum Runners

2a) No, Lower

2b) Stay the same

3) Lower

4) Martin

5)
Rum Runners
Miners
Sweets
Cache Hogs
ACL’s

Who let the DOGS out
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #5
1) Pod A, ACL's
2a) Yes
2b) Yes
3) Higher
4) Robles
5) Kraken, Miners, Brewers, Hogs, ACLs
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #6
1a) Pod B (+3, -3)

1b) Rum Runners

2a) Yes

2b) Expand

3) Lower

4) The Field

5) 8/13 has some fun games with playoff implications. For one point each pick the winner:
Rum Runners
Blues
Brewers
Cache Hogs
Rougarou

When the Dogs and Blues play H2H who do you root for?

Blues (-1000)
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #7
1.  ACLs
2.  Y, N
3.  lower
4.  Martin
5.  Kraken, Miners, Bums, ACLs

Tie (+1000) to balance out the odds
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #8
1a. Pod B
1b. Rum Runners

2a. Yes
2b. No

3.  Lower

4.  Robles

5.  Rum Runners, Miners, Brewers, Bums, ACL's

EC.Rain
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #9
Robots predict:
1 Pod A
   ACLs

2  Y
     N

3 Higher

4 Martin

5 Kraken, Miners, Brewers, Bums, ACLs

Reply #10
1a. Pod B
1b. Miners
2a. Yes, he will expand his lead.
2b. No, he will not expand his lead.
3. Lower
4. Robles
5. Rum Runners, Miners, Brewers, Bums, ACLs
Bonus: Miners
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #11
1) Going after points with this one plus I have to pick my squad - Pod D and Dogs
2a) Yes
2b) stay the same
3) lower
4) Martin
5) Kraken, Blues, Brewers, Bums, ACL's

EC) Ha ha, that was just for fun. I had planned that for a solid month when Kyle asked if I could run GiG this cycle :)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #12
GiG is closed
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #13
Correct Answers:
1a) Pod B or Pod C
1b) Blues, Rougarou, or Rum Runners
2a) expand, 31-17 over Tatis
2b) stay the same, 16-12 over Dyson/Kiermaier
3) lower, 14 by Dickerson/Machado
4) Martin, 29-28 over Robles
5) Kraken, Blues, Brewers, Cache Hogs, Rougarou
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #14
Rod, wouldn't the ACL's also be a correct answer to question 1b? Here's the question:

For two points, name the team from your pod who will have the best record. Again, ties count so there are potentially multiple correct answers. Note – your selection must come from the pod you select in 1a.

So, if someone picked Pod A for question 1a, the ACL's were the team with the best record in that pod.

EDIT: After reading more, maybe I misread the question. I assumed the question to mean "best record" within the pod. You may have meant "best record" overall. Sorry for the confusion.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken