Skip to main content
Topic: Gavin Weir (Read 2112 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gavin Weir

Reply #1
I’m not kidding. If he’s still available with the 4.21 pick I’m taking him…
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
Buzzkill…

Whoever has the 1.1 pick in 2028 come talk to me…
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #4
As someone who once wanted to draft Nick Blackburn because I was friends with his brother (though someone else did get him), I will tell you that familiarity does not necessarily result in the best decisions.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
I can confirm thanks to Andrew Susac.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #6
In another league I did the same thing with Colby Lewis.  I had coached his wife when she was in Jr. High and employed her later for my summer camps, and her father was my Principal for 14 years.  Knew the family very well.  Colby never did quite pan out for me though.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #8
You be the coach:

You're coaching SoDak's LLWS team. You have a 1-0 lead over California with 4 outs to go to make the semifinals.

California is the most complete offensive team in the tournament, averaging 9+ runs a game. Several guys are legit HR threats. Your team is limited offensively, averaging only 2 runs a game. You scored your only run in this game on a dropped 3rd strike followed by two bloop singles in the first. You have only 1 hit since.

However, you have some combination of Sale/Koufax/Johnson on the mound. In his last 8 starts he has allowed 0 runs, 1 hit, and has 114 strikeouts. Plus made 42 opposing batters cry (approximate).

If you pull him now he can pitch in the championship game on Sunday (assuming you close out this game and your other "ace" wins the semifinal). However, based on your tenuous lead and the firepower on the other side you might not make the championship if your reliver gives up a single run. The flip side is you only need 4 outs.

So:
Do you take him out and preserve him for the championship game (which is almost a guaranteed win if he pitches). Or let him finish the game to assure you make the semifinals and figure out who pitches in the championship game later.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #9
How good is their other ace?  Unless he’s light out too, I’d pull him.  The whole point is to win the whole thing and Weir pitching the entire championship game gives you the best chance of that.

Are we sure this kid is 12?
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #10
He’s 12.
They made a big deal about how he pitched all season in the 14U league as he was too good for 12U. But the 14U mound is farther back so they were concerned his breaking balls wouldn’t work.

That’s obviously not much of a concern :)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #11
Their other SP allowed only 1 hit in his other start. So he’ll pitch the semi-final (and be fine).

The problem now is their 3rd string SP (my buddy’s son) has to pitch the championship game now. Which is pretty cool, but less than ideal. They win guaranteed if Weir pitches. But unless it rains on Sunday he can’t pitch now…
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #13
It's awfully hot and humid in Williamsport, too; I hope they are taking care with these young ballplayers. If they don't, maybe none of us will get to draft Weir...at least G2 today is in the evening.