Skip to main content
Topic: Playoff Round 1 - September 29 (Read 675 times) previous topic - next topic

Playoff Round 1 - September 29

Game 1: Chicago Rum Runners at Ankeny ACL's
By the act of the Rum Runner cutting down the vaunted ACL's first three batters, who gave the Rum Runner so much trouble in game 1, the Runners were off to a great start and by the second, they had taken their first lead of the series and things were looking golden.

But the ACL's Paxton wasn't backing down and he kept the Rum Runners from breaking away, until the ACL's bats had a chance to wake, starting in the 4th with a Sano bomb. They tacked on another two in the 5th, and another in the 6th and then two in the 7th with a Lindor and Encarnacion HR's respectively.

The game had completely shifted to the ACL's and then came the Runners. With one out, the Runners got things going with a single from Garver (2-4) which brought in the ACL's closer who was greeted with with the speedy Rosario (3-4) beating the throw from third to first for an infield single. After a pinch hit out by Murphy, Edman walked the based loaded putting the potential tying run up at the plate in Hoerner who had subbed in earlier in the game. Hoerner delivered, lacing a single up the middle and knocking in Garver. Hicks then walked scoring another, bringing the game within two runs with the bases still loaded. and then Dubon was subbed for Rizzo (huh!?!?) as would be expected, resulted in an strike out to end the game.

Heck of an exciting finish with the Runners just not quite getting all the way their.

ACL's win 5-3 and lead the series 2-0

Game 2: Detroit Maniax at the Brooklyn Kraken
If your the Maniax, how best to do start out playoff game 2? With a deep drive to left from your leadoff man Trout, of course giving the Maniax an early game 2 lead. The Kraken kicked back in the second thanks to a double by Benintendi and a single by Urshela but then the third swung back in the Maniax favor with an Albie HR to right. They never gave the lead back and that was it for the Kraken.

I promise I'll give this series it's due after a second short write-up in a row, but while game 2 did go back and forth for a few innings, it didn't lacked the drama of some of the other games.

Maniax win 4-2 again and lead the Series 2-0

Game 3: Scurvy Dogs at the Bako Bums
The Bums got off a terrific start with 2 in the 1st and 2 in the third and it was never close thereafter for the Scurvy Dogs who finished the year hot but are looking to have lost that momentum. Two of the quieter game 1 Bums (there weren't many) got it going in game 2 with Votto going 4-5 with a 2b, 2 runs and an rbi and Arenado going 3-5 scoring 3 and driving in 3 with the help of a big HR in the 3rd and 8th. They didn't do it all alone, however, with the team tallying 13 hits for the game.

I feel I may be losing a bestie but a reporters gotta report the facts buddy. #Scruvyin7 is still alive however.

Bums win 8-1 and lead the Series 2-0

Game 4: Phoenix Miners at Grants Pass Brewers
All was calm after a quiet first and then Quintana had one hell of a melt down. After a single by Soler, a wild pitch advanced Soler to second before Q walked Cron. He might have gotten through the wildness after getting a quick fly out for the second out, but then proceeded to hit the next two batters before Pham doubled in runs 2 and 3 of the inning. It could have been worse after another walk. but Q k'd Marte to get out before all hell broke loose.

Quintana was pulled in the 4th and the ship seemed to right as the Miners picked up runs in the 3rd, 4th and 5th to take a 4-3 lead but the lead didn't last with Pham, having himself a game (4-5 with 2 runs and 5 rbis), hitting the first of 2 HR's on the night to tie it all up.

Still tied going into the 8th, booboo face Correa, took advantage of the trash cans 17 mph wind with a HR out o right putting the Miners up. But inning 3 for Betances didn't go quite as well as the first two. Remember the fella playing rf and "having himself a day"? Betances certainly will, with Pham stepping up to the plate and putting one out to left center scoring two and taking back the lead. And then Bentances completely jobbed it, allowing a single to Semien and walk to Marte, before Devenski came in to cough up Soler bomb down the leftfield line to completely blow it up. The Brewers tacked on one more to finish the scoring and Vincent came back out for the ninth and closed it down for the win.

I used to have so many friends.  :'(

Brewers win 10-5 and lead the Series 2-0.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: Playoff Round 1 - September 29

Reply #1
We have them exactly where we want them. Up 2-0, relaxed and not ready for what's coming as we head home for three games.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #2
We have them exactly where we want them. Up 2-0, relaxed and not ready for what's coming as we head home for three games.

I think we remember the butt whooping that the Rum Runners put on the ACLs all season. Shane Bieber is ready for game 3 and knows what to look out for. :)
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #3
Playoff sim is fantastic. You should see the text thread going on between Brenda, sorry Brendt, and I

#DogsIn7
Rod
Scurvy Dogs