Skip to main content
Topic: Playoff Round 1 - October 3 (Read 563 times) previous topic - next topic

Playoff Round 1 - October 3

Game 1: Ankeny ACL's at Chicago Rum Runners
Control the top of the lineup! That has seemed to be the key to stopping the juggernaut that his the ACL's vaunted lineup. The Runners have done is twice and those were the games they most competed, picking up a win in the second, but it's a lot to ask no matter who you run out to the mound, and tonight the Runners pitchers didn't get it done. Soto, Betts, and Conforto batted .500 in the game combining to score 4 and knock in 3.

A tough postseason for Luis Castillo continued, allowing 2 in the 1st and 2 in the 4th, and that for the most was the game. The Rum Runners did make a stand, scoring 1 in the bottom of the 4th and 2 in the 5th to bring the game within one, but the unheralded but star performers, Williams and Urias, combined again to shut them down the rest of the game.

Heck of a season for the Rum Runners, who gave the ACL's the most trouble. Now with the ACL's getting past their trap team,  can they be stopped?  We'll find out in round 2.

ACL's win 6-3 and take the series 4-1

Game 2: Grant's Pass Brewers at Phoenix Miners
As has been the case during this series, the Brewers got started quickly and all things seem to run through Pham who singled a scored to start them off well. With a run in the 3rd and again in the 4th the Brewers had what they would need, though the Miners did try to make it interesting in the bottom half with a 2 run HR for Chapman after Correa got deservedly plunked.

From there on the Brewers controlled the game, add to their lead in the 6th and 8th and stymying the Miners offense to finish 7-2. Cron was the star of the game going 2-4, knocking in 4 and hitting a HR game, knocking in 4 rbi', but it was Pham that truly set the table for the Brewers batting .458 scoring 6 and knocking in 7.

It's not a sweep, but the Miners have to be completely frustrated as this makes two years in a row of a very good team losing to inferior opponents -at least records wise. Will they stay the course or blow it up and see if they can change their stars?

On the other end, the Brewers should provide a lesson to all teams in league. The playoffs are a new start and if you can scrap your way in, you might just make some noise.

Brewers win 7-2 Miners and take the Series 4-1.

Game 3: Bako Bums at Scurvy Dogs
In the 5th, with the game tied 1-1, the Dogs offense got a couple breaks with a walk and an error by Astudillo and had a chance to really capitalize. With a strike out to Ford, it looked like Wheeler might escape, but the steady and powerful Grandal wouldn't let that chance go by the wayside knocking a 3 run HR out to left.

The Bums battled back in the 6th with the white hot game 4 hero's Arenado and Alonso combining for 2 on a 2 run jack to right. But the Bum's could never get anything else going, and the Dogs LeClerc, Britton, and Diaz not allowing a single hit while k'ing 7.

Dog's fight on and #Scurvyin7 begins to look less and less far fetched. The pressure is certainly on the Bums, but they have been excellent at home, and I am sure they are feeling confident for Monday's game 6.

Scurvy win's 4-3 but the Bums lead still lead the Series 3-2

Game 4: Brooklyn Kraken at Detroit Maniax
Leading 3-1 on the back of a strong performance by Teheran, the Kraken decided to try to get another inning out of Teheran whose pitch count was looking real good. But Abreu greeting him with a single and Peralta drilling a deep drive down the right field line for a 2 run HR. Playoff baseball's a cruel mistress, one inning dominating, another on the bench questioning the pitch call that tied up the game.

Yet it was a tie game, and both teams had their chances. In the top of the 9th, with two outs Yelich walked and Moustakas was hit by a pitch. But Hendrick, who has struggled throughout the series, popped it up. Could the Kraken hold the Maniax and get another shot to win the game in extra's? Facing Abreu, Judge, and Peralta that would be no easy task.

Oberg k's Abreu but Judge had to end it, walking it off with a drive to left.

The Maniax and their new ownership head on the the next round to try their luck in the ACL's while the Kraken head back to Brooklyn, with a lot of questions to resolve for next season after making a number of "for now" moves leading up to this years playoff run.

Maniax win 4-3 and take the Series 4-1
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: Playoff Round 1 - October 3

Reply #1
Congrats to the Maniax. My sims showed they would likely knock me off and the games that count didn't end any differently. Best of luck against the ACL's
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Re: Playoff Round 1 - October 3

Reply #2
Well, the ACLs finished off a really tough Rum Runners team that has bedeviled us all season. I want to say they have been a great team this season and I feel lucky to have gotten out of this first round a winner.

Of course, now I get to face the other team that caused all types of problems this season, the Maniax. It should be another challenging series, but you can't win the championship without beating the best.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League