Skip to main content
Topic: Draft Order - First 5 Picks (Read 4694 times) previous topic - next topic

Draft Order - First 5 Picks

Roxbury Robots
Chicago Rum Runners
Bako Bums
Seattle Rainiers
Grants Pass Brewers
David
Phoenix Miners

First Pick...

Reply #1
Now that the league is off and running, I have begun to think more about the upcoming Minor League Draft. Ever since New Year’s Day, when it was posted on this Forum that the Robots had been awarded the first pick, I thought that no matter how badly I messed up my team, this would be a powerful asset to help set things right quickly. Should I shop the pick? Hold on to it and draft...who? Look at the lists again...still, the name that jumps off the page is...Ohtani. Great start, would sure look good in Robots Gunmetal and Silver...but wait! Is he even eligible? I mean, right now, he is...but what about when the Minor League Draft is held? The rulebook states:

•   Only players with 65 or less career at-bats or 25 or less career innings pitched as of the start date of the MSB minor league draft can be drafted in the MSB minor league draft.

It seems likely that Ohtani will play himself out of eligibility to be drafted, depending upon when the draft is held. As of right now, he has 13IP and 22AB. Barring some unforeseen circumstance, he seems bound to exceed one or both of the specified benchmarks before midseason. So, my question is: Is my understanding of the rule correct? If so, the date the draft is held becomes a critical factor. Would hate to see the draft announced the day after Shotime racks up his 65thAB! Has this issue ever come up before? Darvish? Matsuzaka? Maeda? This issue may also affect several other MLB players, such as Kaz Makita and Yoshi Hirano if they pitch enough. 
bob h
Robots

Re: Draft Order - First 5 Picks

Reply #2
Bob,

My response isn't final, but yeah I have never thought that Ohtani would be eligible as he would eclipse the eligibility for both. I lucked out my a few innings last season to grab Luis Castillo. The eligibility limits lock by the start of the draft and at the time I selected Castillo he had passed, but really started to pitch well after the draft.

The timing is so that we know where the recently drafted first-year players are headed, most of them have also signed by the draft.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #3
Very disheartening, if this is the way it is. Very.
bob h
Robots

Reply #4
It is, indeed, Bob.  Those new numbers (65/25) went into effect a couple years ago.  Used to be 130/50 based on the last day of the previous season.  Current season numbers didn't count toward rookie status.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Bottom line: The CO didn't think the Japanese stars who come over to the bigs (Ohtani, Maeda, Tanaka, Dice-K...) should be considered rookies in the sim baseball world.  So these new numbers took care of that.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #5
It is, indeed, Bob.  Those new numbers (65/25) went into effect a couple years ago.  Used to be 130/50 based on the last day of the previous season.  Current season numbers didn't count toward rookie status.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Bottom line: The CO didn't think the Japanese stars who come over to the bigs (Ohtani, Maeda, Tanaka, Dice-K...) should be considered rookies in the sim baseball world.  So these new numbers took care of that.

Even with the old numbers, I don't think Ohtani would have been eligible.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #6
Even with the old numbers, I don't think Ohtani would have been eligible.
Oh, sure he would.  The numbers for the current season (in this case, 2018) didn't count toward his rookie status.  He would have had 0/0 as far as MSB would have been concerned.  All numbers were based on the previous year's end.

Reply #7
Oh, sure he would.  The numbers for the current season (in this case, 2018) didn't count toward his rookie status.  He would have had 0/0 as far as MSB would have been concerned.  All numbers were based on the previous year's end.

Like my son's baseball team did after practice because the coach believed they won at practice.

Sssssssss -BBBOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

This stems from most of the players and coach being from a competitive organization called the Columbia Cannons.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #8
Instead we get to bid on him on Free Agency.  How much would a SP\DH be worth?  $30m?

I guess it depends on how DMB is treating him.

I for one won't bid on him - he shunned the Ms; I'll show him.
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #10
This is one rule change here in MSB that I really like.  Players like the Japanese stars that come over to MLB should be open to all in a bidding process just like in MLB.

Personally I don't think they should be eligible for Rookie of the Year in MLB either, but that's just my opinion and I doubt Manfred cares too much what I think...
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #11
Would they be eligible for MSB ROY Honors? That is what should matter.

I hear a sound. It's the Brinks truck backing up....
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #12
Considering I don't think they should be eligible in real life, my opinion would be they not be eligible for MSB Rookie of the Year either.  These guys aren't young, untested prospects; they're established major leaguers, even if NPL isn't quite the level of MLB overall.  The players coming over to MLB from Japan ARE top MLB level players.  That's why they're coming to the States.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #13
I'm looking forward to seeing how DMB is going to handle Ohtani. I mean, it's like having a 26th man.

That said, I'm surprised we don't see more Ohtani's in MLB.  Especially in the American League.  It's not like these players are sooooo busy they can't work on both crafts.  I understand the specializations and how much the game has changed, but elite athletes come around every now and then.  Seems like every team could find and develop an Ohtani in their organization. 

Another thought: If enough of these guys do exist, say hello to the DH rule in the NL.

Reply #14
They exist - it’s just that they typically aren’t very good at either one. Bethancourt comes to mind.

But wait until Ohtani sprains an ankle or pulls a hammy rounding second. Or worse breaks a wrist on an HBP. Or flip it if he needs Tommy John and now can’t hit either. It’s all sunshine and rainbows right now, but they’ll end this quickly when/if that happens.

I don’t disagree with the point. I’ve long thought teams should have SP pitch an inning in relief instead of just pitching on the side. But this is totally different.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs