Skip to main content
Topic: Draft Order - First 5 Picks (Read 4715 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Draft Order - First 5 Picks

Reply #15
It will be interesting to see if Brendan McKay can rise through the Tampa system doing both.  If he can, there may be more willingness on the part of franchises to look at the combined pitcher/hitter players more.

There are other issues outside of the injury concerns Rod brought up too though.  A combo player like Ohtani does in a way act like a 26th player, but it also necessitates that there be a part time player to fill in positionally and in the lineup on the days the combo player is pitching, preparing to pitch, or recovering from pitching.  Ohtani is out three games of every week.  In this day of teams grooming versatility in their players, this may become less of a challenge, but it is something that has to be considered nonetheless.   I don't expect Ohtani to continue to hit as he has early on, but any team who has a combo player like that and that player is then removed three times a week for (likely) an inferior player takes a hit in the lineup almost half the time.  ANd then what do these teams do in the playoffs?

I like the idea and actually hope it becomes more prevalent, but it will take a certain level of acceptance and consideration that is not part of the game presently.

As a side note, for all us Dodger fans, maybe Alex Verdugo could morph into one of these players as some point? When he was drafted he was considered by some teams/analysts to be better on the mound with mid to upper 90's heat.  Some MSB team would be very lucky to have him if that possibility came to fruition.  Oh wait . . . that team would be MINE!!!   ;-)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #16
I'm psychic - well kind of.
Ohtani has a blister and is going to be out for a couple days, might need a DL stint.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #18
Micah Owings
Oh wait - he kind of sucked too. But he’s probably the last guy used like this.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #19
It will be interesting to see if Brendan McKay can rise through the Tampa system doing both.  If he can, there may be more willingness on the part of franchises to look at the combined pitcher/hitter players more.

There are other issues outside of the injury concerns Rod brought up too though.  A combo player like Ohtani does in a way act like a 26th player, but it also necessitates that there be a part time player to fill in positionally and in the lineup on the days the combo player is pitching, preparing to pitch, or recovering from pitching.  Ohtani is out three games of every week.  In this day of teams grooming versatility in their players, this may become less of a challenge, but it is something that has to be considered nonetheless.   I don't expect Ohtani to continue to hit as he has early on, but any team who has a combo player like that and that player is then removed three times a week for (likely) an inferior player takes a hit in the lineup almost half the time.  ANd then what do these teams do in the playoffs?

I like the idea and actually hope it becomes more prevalent, but it will take a certain level of acceptance and consideration that is not part of the game presently.

As a side note, for all us Dodger fans, maybe Alex Verdugo could morph into one of these players as some point? When he was drafted he was considered by some teams/analysts to be better on the mound with mid to upper 90's heat.  Some MSB team would be very lucky to have him if that possibility came to fruition.  Oh wait . . . that team would be MINE!!!   ;-)

I agree, I hope to see this as a trend. I doubt a player would ever play a premier position like SS or CF and do this. McKay playing 1B is a push, maybe he ends up at DH or plays 1B sparingly. It is certainly something to follow.

These guys are all the best athletes, why take away one aspect of their game. Baseball has become so specialized, I would love to see a trend in the other direction.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #20
I was thinking Rick Ankiel.  He had a career 4.6 WAR as a hitter and a 3.9 WAR at a pitcher.  But on closer look, he didn't really do either at the same time (other than the typical at bats a pitcher picks up).  I remember him more as a pitcher, but interestingly enough he only had one good year as a pitcher in 2000 with a 3.4WAR.  He didn't have his best offensive year until 2008 putting up a 1.7 WAR.  Had he been a better defender that WAR would have been much higher as he had nice splits of .264/.337/.506   in 463 at bats.

Can you tell I have work things I'm avoiding?  When else would you take a deep dive into Rick Ankiels career?
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #21
They exist - it’s just that they typically aren’t very good at either one. Bethancourt comes to mind.

But wait until Ohtani sprains an ankle or pulls a hammy rounding second. Or worse breaks a wrist on an HBP. Or flip it if he needs Tommy John and now can’t hit either. It’s all sunshine and rainbows right now, but they’ll end this quickly when/if that happens.

I don’t disagree with the point. I’ve long thought teams should have SP pitch an inning in relief instead of just pitching on the side. But this is totally different.
Oh my on this one Rod a few months ahead of schedule. A grade 2 UCL sprain, going to rest for three weeks. That sounds like three weeks of delaying surgery to me.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)