Skip to main content
Topic: Asterisks Arbs (Read 1477 times) previous topic - next topic

Asterisks Arbs

5:28 PM, 2/1/2018, Tucson, AZ, Associated Mess
The Arizona Asterisks have announced their intent to offer arbitration to Dellin Betances.  Due to a bizzare set of circumstances, his ICE salary actually goes DOWN from $2M to $1.5M (1.2 WAR).  Dellin wasn't very happy about that when told the news, but ownership told him to stick it, shut up, and just play.  That went well.

Arizona also offerred arbitration to the recently acquired Ken Giles ( 1.8 ), whose salary subsequently rises from $250K to the same $1.5M Betances is joyfully accepting.

The AZ Front Office directed the equipment manager to relocate Giles' locker to the opposite side of Betances' corner.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: Asterisks Arbs

Reply #1
Granted.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
Kyle,

One thing I wanted to mention is that, by offering arbitration to Betances, his contract value does go down, but so does the term of his contract.  He was a $2M/2019 contract.  He is now a $1.5M/2018 contract.  Yes, you will be able to get an extra year out of him (since he can be extended in 2019 and again in 2020), but that will cost you a little bit more.  Did you realize that?

This would also apply to Shoemaker and I will post in Shane's thread too.

As an aside for most other GMs, this is not an issue for you.  This is only an issue for ICEd players with 2019 contracts.  After this year, the issue will go away.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
Pretty sure I understand it.  Doesn't seem complicated.  Example, I've coded his contract on my own books like this: $1.5M/A1.  The A1 stands for Arb year #1 (out of 3).  Seems unnecessary to continue to put the 2018 on the contract if I've already denoted the A1.  And if Dellin's WAR in 2019 is 1.5, I can choose to either extend him, or let him go into Free Agency.  If I extend him, his annual salary will increase by $1M, meaning he'll then be listed as a $2.5M/A2.

Question:  If I let him go next year, I'd still hold the HTD, right?  And I'm assuming the same is true if I'd just let him go to FA earlier this offseason, is that right?

Reply #4
Along those same lines, should we consider denoting rookie contracts the same way?  Example: My Andrew Toles would be listed at $500K/R1, knowing that when he's denoted as an R4 (in the offseason of 2020), that's his first arb-eligible year. 

Reply #5
I'm doing that on the spreadsheet - his status is Rookie 1.  But I do also have his contract year listed.  Having redundancy built into the spreadsheet is helpful when (inevitably) I make a mistake or there is some uncertainty.

No matter when you let him go, you'll get the HTD EXCEPT if you waive him.
David
Phoenix Miners