Skip to main content
Topic: thunder waives Max Muncy (Read 716 times) previous topic - next topic

thunder waives Max Muncy

As much as it pains me to do this, the Thunder waive Max Muncy (2024/$8.1M), who has played his entire MSB career with the Tucson franchise. If he clears waivers, place him on the Thunder Mountain Baseball Club's roster, please.

I'm a huge fan of Munce, and what hurts even more is I think banning the shift AND his expected improvement from battling through injuries in 2022 will make him worth every bit of $8M in 2024. But if claimed, I'm going for it big time this season. Max has 21 jacks and plays an excellent 1B. I'm thinking someone can use him. If so, so long, old friend.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: thunder waives Max Muncy

Reply #1
I've listened to some podcasters that have high hopes for Muncy in 2023 with better health (hopefully) and the new shift rules. It's hard to figure out what the Dodgers are doing this year but I'm sure they'd love to have an improved Muncy. I don't think their roster, as currently structured, has as much margin of error as it has had in the past.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #4
I have a lot of confidence he will do better. Second half was much better and you have to think getting further from the injury helped. The shift change is a mixed bag for MuncY, as he likely won't be looking so hot at 2B if he plays there at all. We may see an offensive boost. but taking away some of his positional flexibility takes away some added value.

Finally, I don't know if I have ever seen a waiver claim sales pitch in this league. But with $8.1M salary to save this year it's worth a shot and a .198 avg and .713 ops definitely requires a pitch. LOL!
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #5
For Rod and Matt, check out BR's nickname for Max. Glad I could educate you both, LOL.

Reply #6
The shift change is a mixed bag for MuncY, as he likely won't be looking so hot at 2B if he plays there at all.
Interesting take. I think removing the shift means he'll get MORE action there than usual. Why would not having the 2B man play a shallow LF hurt a guy like Max's chances of playing there? Just curious on your reasons.

Reply #8
I think what Matt is saying is Muncy won’t have the range to play 2b at all without the shift adding a layer of protection for him.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #9
https://youtu.be/aW37ldtM11c

Reply #10
What Rod said.

Why is the plan to play Vargas at 2b (a rookie who has predominantly played 3b through his minor league career and has had defensive concerns there) over Muncy (a veteran who has played an average 2b a good amount at the major league level). Why not just go by experience and play Muncy at 2b and Vargas at 3b?

From all I have read, it's all about athleticism. Previously the shift gave cover to less athletic players because it allowed them to cover far less ground than a traditional 2b would. Now that the shift has been taken away, the expectation is that traditional 2b range will be a must to defend the position.

It could bring a real change in what we consider a good 2b. With the less athletic power bats moving to a corner, and rangy and speedy guys getting more run again. I don't expect we'll go back to the dead ball era or anything like that, but we're already seeing major league teams value different types players at the position and the Dodgers are a great example. It should be really interesting to see that change and it will be interesting to see just how far that goes.

And don't get me wrong, I expect a rebound year for Max and that he will still be a valuable player, but he just wont have as much positional flexibility as he had before. I would wager some significant money that if he plays 2b next year, that his defensive ratings at the position will look at heck of a lot less useable. I hope he does play there a bit because it will be a good test case to look at.

Sorry to get us off on the tangent, I just think this is one of the those changes that has the chance to move the needle and that's always super interesting.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #11
Understood. Indeed, it’ll be interesting.

Regarding Vargas and Max individually, Max is a better 3Bman with a better arm. There are concerns about Vargas’ arm, so that’s what I heard was the reason for their anticipated positions out of the gate.

I’ll do some more research on how the shift will affect positional players. Good stuff.

Reply #12
To everyone's shock and dismay, nobody claimed the Funky Muncy.

He officially visited the Tucson Mountain Baseball Club in the wee hours of the morning, but was immediately re-assigned back to the big club.

Manager Clyde Kauffman said he anticipates Muncy will start at 2B against righties, unless the FO gets some intriguing trade offers for the veteran.

Reply #13
Relegated than reclaimed.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #14
OH GOOD GRIEF . . . .

Processed the demotion in the database . . . . . THEN processed the promotion BACK to Tuscon...   :-\

Or have you changed the name of the franchise again while I was blinking...
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009