Skip to main content
Topic: Gauging interest in Diplomacy (Read 4170 times) previous topic - next topic

Gauging interest in Diplomacy

We will be winding down free agency in a few weeks and with a couple months before the minor league draft a few of us thought it would be a good time to float the idea of a game of Diplomacy.

For those that aren't familiar, Diplomacy is a board game from the mid 50's rumored to be played by everyone form Asmiov to Cronkite to Kennedy and Kissinger.  The game is well suited for being played online through private messages on forums and emails. 

7 players play Great Powers of Europe on the eve of World War 1.  As a leader of one of the Great Powers, Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia or Turkey, your goal is to conquer the European world, but you can't do it alone.  You'll rely on others to enter into agreements of non-aggression, demilitarized zones, or support you into enemy territory.   But as you succeed the temptation for allies to turn on you becomes greater and greater.  95% of this game is convincing others to do what you want them to do and about 5% is tactics on the actual board.

The game would require responding and sending a couple of emails a day and submitting "orders" a couple of times a week. The actual time commitment could be anywhere from 1 hour per week up to 30 minutes a day depending on how much you get into the game.

If  you have any interest ,questions or thoughts . . .post below.

So far we have 3 confirmed interested parties -- we'd need 4 more.
1. Scott
2. Rod
3. Darrell
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Re: Gauging interest in Diplomacy

Reply #1
For the record - I played Diplomacy a handful of times in college. Needless to say it's been awhile. So if this is something you would be interested in trying don't feel like you'll be the only newbie. I'll be basically starting from scratch as well. But it's a pretty fun game, what makes it unique is there isn't any "randomness" in the form of a drawn card or dice roll. As Darrell suggested, it is just convincing others to do what you need.

Which I'll start that discussion by suggesting we might have to gang up on Darrell and Scott as they still play fairly regularly :)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #2
I've always wanted to try it - but I'm going to need some hand-holding and a copy of the rules (if there are any).
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
I've always wanted to try it - but I'm going to need some hand-holding and a copy of the rules (if there are any).

This sounds like an involved, back-stabbing game of RISK. Let me think about it some more.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #5
I'd be interested but it would have to outside of tax season. I can barely keep up with baseball stuff this time of year.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #6
@dsj421 The rules are very simple.  The original rules can be more difficult than necessary due to how long ago they were written.  They can really be boiled down to an index card, but it is also very easy to "hold hands" for a few turns without hurting the game.

The rules really consist of learning vocabulary for a handful of words: HOLD, SUPPORT, CONVOY, MOVE.  I've attached a more precise set of rules. 

@scubadan I have a few friends in your line of work, so my sympathy for the workload this time of year. 

@Scurvy Dogs - You over estimate Scott's ability.  
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #7
I'm a solid maybe.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #8
@dgonser you underestimate the fact that the game has already begun
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #9
Oh...... This is going to be fun.
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #10
We doing this?
Or were you just leading me on???

:)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #11
FYI - Darrell, Scott, and myself (along with 4 others) did start this up a couple weeks ago and it's been a riot. Well, maybe not for whoever is/was Russia. They have been getting destroyed.

But this has been a lot of fun. If anyone is interested I'm sure we'll be starting up a new game this spring(ish). I will say that its a time commitment, but so far it's been worth it.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #12
You sure that we will be trying this again?  I truly expect once you know who I am that we will never speak again!!!
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #13
Valid point - I so hope you are Russia. That would not end well for you.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #14
About a week ago, I had a very bad day at work - lost a string of arguments.  It just so happens that about 2 hours later, the results of a turn at Diplomacy did not go my way.  I let out my entire frustrations of the day on some poor soul that I most likely do not know -- but had the misfortune to be controlling a neighboring nation.  As soon as I find the identity of that individual - I'll owe him a beer (or three).
Darrell
River City Cutthroats