Skip to main content
Topic: Rule Changes (Read 3055 times) previous topic - next topic

Rule Changes

1. We will now allow players to be signed to one year contracts.  If you choose to do sign a 1 year contract, the premium for doing so will be 200% of the final bid value.
2. We are reducing the playing time limits for a single playoff series to 10% of the real life total or 12% of L/R splits for batter and 10% total for pitchers.  This is generally consistent with our changes last year to annual PTL.  As a reminder, for the purposes of calculating whether a player has hit their PTL in a playoff game, DMB performs a check the moment a player enters a game.  If the player has not hit their PTL at the time of the check, the player will perform as normal for the entirety of the game.
The impact of this rule is that for a SP to qualify for 2 wins in a single playoff series, he will need at least 50.1 IP during the regular season (i.e. 5 IP in game 1 and as many as they'd like in game 2).
For a SP to qualify for 3 wins in a single playoff series, he will need at least 100.1 IP during the regular season (i.e. 5 IP in game, 5 IP in game 2, and as many as they'd like in game 3).
For a batter in a 7 game series, they will need approximately 271 PA to start all 7 games (i.e. 27 PA for the first six games or 4.5 PA per game and then 1 extra to start game 7).
3. We are eliminating the Rule V draft.  After this, all players must be promoted or go into the free agent pool.  We felt that this was a part of the league that required too much effort from all the owners to participate for very little reward.
4. In an attempt to make the minor league draft run better and with less confusion, we will be implementing the following changes:
Draft timer will now run from 11 AM to 9 PM PST every day.
Teams will now be slotted into time slots according to the following time limits:
Rounds 1 and 2 will have no time limit to select players.
Rounds 3 through 6 will continue to have a two hour limit to select players.
Rounds 7 on will have a one hour time limit to select players.
Prior to the start of each day of drafting, the CO will send out an email with the upcoming day's time slots.
Making a pick early will not advance the time slots for subsequent teams. However, a team that is currently up may select their pick prior to the start of their time slot if the teams picking prior to that team have already picked.  Likewise, once the final pick of the day has been made, the team that is then up can make their pick at any time afterwards.
If a team fails to make a selection prior to the end of their time slot, they are skipped, but can jump back in at any time.
If a team makes an invalid selection, the next team can pick even if it is still the time slot for the team with the invalid selection.  A team making an invalid selection can make their time at any time.
Teams that declare themselves done are done until the remainder of the league has finished.
Once all teams are done, the draft time will be stopped.  At that point the CO will notify the league that all teams have 24 hours to make any additional picks.  Those picks will be sent to the CO which will process those selections in draft order.
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: Rule Changes

Reply #1
nicely done
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #2
A fan of both 1 year contracts and no Rule 5. Good job by the oligarchs of MSB.
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #3
I'm very much in favor of the first 3 rule changes.  Excellent job guys - thank you for all your hard work.

However, for #4, while I'm totally in favor of speeding up the first few rounds of the draft (which seem to really be dragging these last few years), I think the proposal is too complicated.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've felt the first 5 rounds have been very slow, while the last 6-10 rounds move along very quickly, in large part to fewer teams picking.

I love the 11 AM - 9 PM PST time frame, but why not make it really simple and just change the 2-hour window (clock starts with the previous pick, valid or not) to a 1-hour window across the board?  In other words, from round 1, the draft timer is 60 mins per pick.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #4
Kyle, I initially proposed something along those lines and the response from almost everyone involved was where we ended up - that there should be no time limit for the first couple of rounds.  Specifically, owners believed that it was already unfair that if you had to miss your turn for whatever reason during those first two rounds, you were missing out on a top draft pick.  Given that our timer runs during work hours for most of us and that there are times when an owner might be called into an unplanned meeting without any time to send out a proxy, I think that the change makes sense. 

If it turns out that untimed rounds 1 and 2 make the draft take forever, we can revisit next year.  But I don't think it will. 
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
Robots are on board with all these revisions,especially the elimination of Rule V.  I do think 200% is a steep premium for electing a 1-yr contract, but lets see how it works out. It (1-yr contract) seems like a useful option for GMs.
bob h
Robots

Reply #6
Initially I understand the elimination of the Rule V draft. It does require an owner to do his own individual research, nothing is provided. The benefit can be great! You get four years of team control near the league minimum and then the possible arbitration years.

Sending a player to free-agency will increase the contract price and will price some teams out of acquiring that said player.

I think the decision has been made, but this is one of the changes that I would like to see brought up for league vote before it is eliminated.

I have a few players on my roster that I have claimed.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #7
I have a few players on my roster that I have claimed.

Brent, just remember that our new rules require rookies to be given contracts for $500,000 per year.  In your case with Yimi Garcia in 2017, my guess is that he would have been signed for less than $500,000.

In the case of Amed Rosario, you got a steal.  The former owner of the Sweets misunderstood the Rule V rules which is why Rosario was available.  You probably shouldn't have gotten him last year.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #8
Kyle, I initially proposed something along those lines and the response from almost everyone involved was where we ended up - that there should be no time limit for the first couple of rounds.  Specifically, owners believed that it was already unfair that if you had to miss your turn for whatever reason during those first two rounds, you were missing out on a top draft pick.  Given that our timer runs during work hours for most of us and that there are times when an owner might be called into an unplanned meeting without any time to send out a proxy, I think that the change makes sense. 

If it turns out that untimed rounds 1 and 2 make the draft take forever, we can revisit next year.  But I don't think it will. 
Sounds good - I get it.  Let's see how it goes.

Reply #9
Brent, just remember that our new rules require rookies to be given contracts for $500,000 per year.  In your case with Yimi Garcia in 2017, my guess is that he would have been signed for less than $500,000.

In the case of Amed Rosario, you got a steal.  The former owner of the Sweets misunderstood the Rule V rules which is why Rosario was available.  You probably shouldn't have gotten him last year.
The Rosario-types are one of the reasons I pushed for the Rule V Draft to be killed.  The rules - no matter how we typed them and tried to explain them over the years - always seemed to get misinterpreted by a few GMs.  Eliminating the confusion and just forcing teams to promote or cut eligible players at the very least provides for some fair bidding, but in most cases now, just puts the marginal young guys into the FA pool.

A thought: Maybe someday we could have one week of FA called "Undrafted Free Agent Week," where all FA players who were either waived or just slid under the radar could be put into the same week's player list, with all GMs able to bid on them, but the benefit would be to have them under team control for 6 years.  In other words, bidding would start at $250K for these guys (like all other free agents), but can be raised by $50K.  Maybe I bid on a guy and win him at $650K, meaning I pay $650K the first 3 years of his contract, but he's then subject to the ARB rules for the next 3 seasons.  Another player is won at $350K, same deal.  Thoughts?  Or maybe just throw this into a folder for next year's rule change discussions?

Reply #10
Overall, allowing for one year contracts and eliminating the Rule V draft are both fine in my opinion. The one year contract could allow for some interesting bidding for a guy we know will retire (or has an off-season injury). As for Rule V, I've benefited by getting Javier Baez from it, but I do think that just saying the player either gets a contract or is placed into the free agent pool is good too.

With the draft timer, I would like to see how this works. There are times that I'm afraid this might actually slow down the draft compared to a normal 2 hour (or potential 3 hour) timer. If my time slot is at 7 PM - 9 PM PT, I could basically stop the draft after only 4 picks that day (11 AM, 1 PM, 3 PM and 5 PM time slots). It might be better in the later rounds with the 1 hour slots. I think the GMs in here would be good about drafting in general, but I don't know if this would move along the draft either.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #11
With the draft timer, I would like to see how this works. There are times that I'm afraid this might actually slow down the draft compared to a normal 2 hour (or potential 3 hour) timer. If my time slot is at 7 PM - 9 PM PT, I could basically stop the draft after only 4 picks that day (11 AM, 1 PM, 3 PM and 5 PM time slots). It might be better in the later rounds with the 1 hour slots. I think the GMs in here would be good about drafting in general, but I don't know if this would move along the draft either.

It's not necessarily to speed things up - we were more concerned with how chaotic the minor league draft was this past year.  For example (and I note that all of these posts come from just round 8 )

http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg7323#msg7323
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg7329#msg7329
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg7330#msg7330
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg7331#msg7331
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg7335#msg7335
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg7350#msg7350 (Chris even comments on it being chaotic)

Here's some confusion in earlier rounds:

http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.msg7214#msg7214
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.msg7219#msg7219
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.msg7224#msg7224 (Post reads, "so basically we don't know who is or is not picking or on the clock. Hopefully I get a message when I am up.")
http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1093.msg7245#msg7245

And so on.  It doesn't make a ton of sense to me that we need someone like Kyle (see this post http://www.mutinybaseball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.msg7226#msg7226) to have to step in and write, "Actually, here's how this afternoon played out:
Rattlers were on the clock at 12 PST (3 EST) and skipped,
Sweets clock started at 2 PST, and were skipped at 4 PM
Brewers went on the clock at 6, and were skipped at 8 PM
Miners' clock started at 8, but the official clock suspends at 9 PM PST. 

So Dan, that means the Miners are still on the clock until they pick, or until 1 PM tomorrow afternoon."

Hence the basis for the time slots.  Then a number of the people on the rules committee brought up the issue that 2 hours wasn't enough in rounds 1 + 2, especially for those of us with day jobs.

I recognize that your concern about the time slots is a valid one, but from what I understand from the Cracker Jack leagues, it's not one that has impacted their league.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #12
It's not necessarily to speed things up - we were more concerned with how chaotic the minor league draft was this past year.  For example (and I note that all of these posts come from just round 8 )

This is why I go on vacations during the draft and just send in a proxy list. :) I can understand the concern with the chaos of the draft, and I'll admit that I was gone for most of it, since I was in Alaska and on a cruise for most of it. Nothing wrong in seeing how it goes and see if the rule helps with keeping the draft more orderly.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League