Skip to main content
Topic: Buzzed at St. Baldrick's (Read 1355 times) previous topic - next topic

Buzzed at St. Baldrick's

I normally wouldn't put this here, but I feel the need to reach as far and wide as I can this year.

Every year in Rancho Cordova (where I work) and so many other places around the world people hold events called Buzzed at St. Baldrick's.  Some may be familar, but for those who aren't volunteers shave their heads in solidarity while raising money fior  childhood cancer research funding.  Every two minutes a new child in afflicted with cancer.  We must find a cure.  While a somber subject, Buzzed at St. Baldrick's is a joyous event and incredibly fruitful fundraiser.

St. Baldrick's Foundation relies heavily on funding through these events and unfortunately due to the coronavirus many of these events, typically held in March, have been cancelled as has ours.  My friend, Nick Sosa, and I formed a team called the Bald Eagles of Peer Pressure and pledged to shave our heads for this cause and despite not having an event to loose our hair at, we still intend to do it!

If you have a chance to make a donation of any size I would greatly appreciate it.  Whether you donate or not please pass this along.  I'm no longer part of Facebook so I’ll have to figure out another way of sharing my video story of shaving my head.  For now, you’ll have to live with a picture.

Here is my St. Baldrick's page.

Thank you guys!
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: Buzzed at St. Baldrick's

Reply #1
Shared to my Facebook page!  Well done, Matt.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
Thank you Kyle!!!
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #3
Speaking of shaving heads...

This had to be 20 years ago and I was just starting to play competitive slowpitch softball (I know, those two things shouldn't be said together, but it's true). Anyway, our team that year was pretty good. Probably in the top 25-30 in the state. But the week of the state tournament we lost both our middle infielders to injuries. And one of our OF had some commitment (don't recall what it was exactly, none of us really liked him anyway) so last minute we're considering not going. The guy who managed the team was an old guy (ok, yeah. he would have been younger than I am now but at the time he was like ancient) said he could pitch and move me to the OF. I was like cool, but we still don't really have a SS or a 2b. He said not to worry about it, he had a couple guys in mind (we could pick up 2 players as long as they weren't playing for another team at state at any level). So he picks up these two kids none of us had ever heard of. Plus we didn't have any subs and I'm like we're gonna get smoked.

So on the way to the tournament I told the team if we went undefeated on Saturday I'd shave my head. My girlfriend (soon to be wife) gave me a 'are you crazy' look? And I was like don't worry about it, there's no chance of this happening. We had a 1st round bye and then we played out of our minds the rest of the day. The kids we picked up were halfway decent, the old guy didn't play terrible, and shockingly we're undefeated going into Sunday.

You know who the first two to shave their heads were once we got back to the hotel? Yup, the two kids we picked up. About half the team had shaved their head before I gave them the reality that I wasn't serious. There's a 0% chance this is happening. Looking back I'm shocked they didn't hold me down and do it. Oh they were upset about it, but they forgot about it after I bought the team the first couple rounds at the bar that night. Plus it's hard to be angry after the way we played that day.

How did Sunday go you ask?
Yeah, the old guy and the two kids didn't get a hit. Literally 0 for the entire day. They were our 8-9-10 batters so that's a wasted inning every time they came up in the lineup. There's only so much the rest of us could do. So it was a little bit of a letdown after how we played on Saturday, but 3rd place wasn't shabby all things considered.

Anyway...

Matt I applaud you for doing something I couldn't do. Add to the fact that you are doing it for a great cause and I salute you sir. It's awesome you are raising awareness for childhood cancer. Cancer isn't a laughing matter by any means, but there's so much going on in the world right now I thought maybe I could allow everyone to have a laugh at my expense :)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs