Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 Season Update (Read 5452 times) previous topic - next topic

2021 Season Update

All,

Buried in DMB's recent announcement of version 12 of DMB was the following message, "This year we will be making available a second special edition of the 2020 season database to accommodate draft league play. This database will contain all the same information but will have the player stats pro-rated for a 162-game season and will be available as a free download with the purchase of the 2020 Annual Season Database upon request."

Previously we announced that we would be using the 2020 projection disk for our upcoming season.  With this announcement however, we have another option.  I recognize that I am not certain we would be able to easily transition over to this option (i.e. DMB doesn't publish WAR so how would we deal with arbitration?), but I did want to give everyone an opportunity to comment on this additional option and maybe we can come up with solutions if everyone prefers using the pro-rated statistics.

Thanks all.

David
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: 2021 Season Update

Reply #1
I'd vote to stick with our original plan.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #2
I would be intrigued by the prorated version but okay either way.
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #3
I could go either way here at this moment. I do have Shane Bieber, so getting a Cy Young season from him would be nice, but I also understand any argument that teams might have already made plans on the projections disk. The one thing I will say in favor of the projections disk is that we don't need to worry as much about how COVID-19 impacted a player's time on the roster.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #4
I would prefer the 162 but will follow the will of the group if that's the minority.
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #5
I'd prefer the projected season as previously decided but can live with either option.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #6
I prefer the projection disk, especially since we made that very solid decision pretty early on. Some trades may or may not have happened due to knowing their stats.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #7
Projection disk as this is what we decided. You can't guess what moves may have been made based upon that decision.

We now have an option for future seasons if needed.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #8
I like the projected season idea.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die..the in between is mine

Reply #9
BTW...is there a calendar of events? Dates of up comiing items?

PHB
I know I was born and I know that I'll die..the in between is mine

Reply #10
BTW...is there a calendar of events? Dates of up comiing items?

PHB
There is... usually.  COVID makes this offseason a little different.  I think the next big event coming up is the minor league draft perhaps this month? - but there will be some tweaks to it.  We usually have that in mid-July, but postponed it this year.  After that, the season disk comes out, then we'll have Free Agent auctions that usually start in January.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #11
Without waiting until the January signing period for the International Free Agents normally in July this draft will miss out on an entire class.

I believe we have to wait until those players have signed for our minor league draft.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #12
Happy new year to everyone! 

just catching up on things--so v12 was released this week? but I'm confused as to whether we need the 2020 annual season database or the projection season.  Adding to my confusion, the projs were available in May but require v12 which was just released? 

https://diamond-mind.com/blogs/dmb-blog/version-12-and-the-2020-season-are-here
https://diamond-mind.com/products/2020-projection-season-zips

here's hoping everyone's 2021 is better than 2020, but esp for the Devils.  ^^

Sh
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #13
I believe those are two different products.

The projection disc is just that, a projection and not tied to the 2020 season that was played.

The 2020 pro-rated season that a lot of leagues are using is based on the 2020 season with plate appearances and innings stretched out.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #14
The minor league draft has discussed at length the last couple months. Unfortunately there isn’t a perfect solution #thankscovid

So we’ve made the decision to cancel the entire 2020 minor league draft and move forward with a “normal” draft in 2021.

What does this mean to you?
- Minor league rosters will increase to 30 players to accommodate for the missed minor league season and not having to promote players this offseason in the sim. It is still being discussed how long we’ll stay at 30, but it will stay there until next offseason at a minimum.
- Your 2021 draft position will be an average of your 2020 and 2021 slots. We’ll be updating the slots shortly.
- Since the 2020 draft didn’t happen, any previously traded picks will automatically be updated to the 2021 draft. Reminder that you can’t trade 2022 picks until after the 2021 draft so any draft pick trades made until the 2021 draft will be for the 2021 draft. Hopefully that makes sense - it’s a lot clearer in my head than it came out over the past couple sentences :)

We realize there wasn’t a perfect solution to this. But this is the path we believe has the least downside.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs