Skip to main content
Topic: State of the Forums (Read 809 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: State of the Forums

Reply #15
Just an update on my end for the state of the forum. I use Safari now, and have been for a couple weeks exclusively. However, it is taking more than a minute to load pages for me. With Free Agent Auctions coming up, what's the possibility we might have another solution? It's a first-world problem, I know. Just communicating what I'm experiencing.

I did notice at times that the forums could be slow to update. I'm not sure if that's the load on the servers or whatnot, but I have noticed the same types of problems at times. It is like one moment it works great, and the next it is like I'm back in 1993 and on Prodigy for my Baseball Manager fix.

I will also say that David got me access to the Discord server for the league and it looked very nice. I think it might be a very workable option, and in general, my experience with Discord is that there aren't a lot of problems with slowness.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #16
Just an update on my end for the state of the forum. I use Safari now, and have been for a couple weeks exclusively. However, it is taking more than a minute to load pages for me. With Free Agent Auctions coming up, what's the possibility we might have another solution? It's a first-world problem, I know. Just communicating what I'm experiencing.

Kyle and everyone else,

Might make sense for me to start a poll on this one.

Ultimately this is a question of convenience for others (as well as workload for me).  New forums are located at http://www.mutinybaseball.com/msbforums/.  I haven't fixed images all over but that page runs in https and seems a lot faster to me.

Likewise, if anyone has discord, I can show you that as an option.  Alternatively, see the image below which shows a preliminary thread structure as well as giving you a sense of the easy access to emojis, gifs, and the fact that we have voice channels where we could host actual meetings.  Heck, at a minimum, it would be a lot easier to add these screenshots - on the forums, I have to host the pictures somewhere so I have a link that I can direct a URL to.  On discord, you just click a button.

Additionally there is the option of using apps to add additional functionality.  For example, we could use MLB Game Feed Viewer in specific channels to show game feeds while chatting about the game with other MSB members.  Perhaps won't ever be used but who knows:

David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #17
Very cool! However, it won't let me log in. On Chrome, anyway. Let me try Safari...
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #18
I haven't had any problems since accessing through Firefox. I just have to remember to go out here since it isn't staring me in the face on an open Chrome tab. Whatever works for everyone else is fine with me.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #19
Very cool! However, it won't let me log in. On Chrome, anyway. Let me try Safari...

You mean log in to the new forum structure?  It would require everyone to make an account there.  Doesn’t carry over.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #20
Thanks to Matt - here are screen shots for the fix for Chrome
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #21
Hope this helps!
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #22
The fixes worked for me to see the forum (in Chrome), but I can't reply. To anyone or anything. It brings up an error message. So I'm just using Safari. But it still literally takes 50-60 seconds to load each page.

Reply #23
@Kyle
Brandon had something similar this weekend. He cleared his internet cache and it worked afterwards.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #25
It worked! Only took 40 seconds to load, but it worked...

Reply #26

If it's really that bad for people, I think we should move over to the new forums for free agency.  I can get everything ready to go over the next 2-3 days so that everything looks nice and clean.  Though it will require everyone to re-register on the new forum.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #27

If it's really that bad for people, I think we should move over to the new forums for free agency.  I can get everything ready to go over the next 2-3 days so that everything looks nice and clean.  Though it will require everyone to re-register on the new forum.
I fully agree with this IF you have the time, David, and if we think all 20 of us can make the move by then.

Reply #28
Firefox works just fine for me. My problem is only remembering to open Firefox to look at it. I keep the sites I look at regularly open in tabs in Chrome. It's my daily reminder of things I want to look at. I just have to train myself to think a little differently.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #29
Testing