Skip to main content
Topic: NRO designation clarification (Read 1285 times) previous topic - next topic

NRO designation clarification

CO. since both Darrell and David have referred to Vance Worley as an "NRO" in the last 24 hours, I thought I'd try to get some clarification. 

It seems to me that a waived player who was then placed in the minors (Worley) is not a "Non-Roster Obligation," but rather still ON the roster.  "NRO" has always meant (to me, anyway) a player whom I still have to pay for, but is now a free agent.  In other words, I can't trade an NRO because he's no longer in my organization.

Franklin Gutierrez is also listed on both my NRO list and my minor league squad.  This is confusing.  FG is not a Non-Roster Obligation for me, he is still on one of my rosters and I can bring him back to the 40-man anytime I wish. 

So, I'll simplify: Why is the CO referring to players who cleared waivers and were placed in the minors as NRO's?
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: NRO designation clarification

Reply #1
I have always considered the "Roster" in NRO to be the 40 man Roster. This means the NRO distinction tells me what players I have obligations to but do not count toward my 40 player limit.  

Then, being on both the NRO and minor roster tells me who I can bring back to the 40-man if I gain room.
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #2
I have always considered the "Roster" in NRO to be the 40 man Roster. This means the NRO distinction tells me what players I have obligations to but do not count toward my 40 player limit.  

Then, being on both the NRO and minor roster tells me who I can bring back to the 40-man if I gain room.

That's exactly how it's been structured in the last iteration of the rosters and how it is structured now.

I could rename the status from NRO Minors to something like "Farmed."  But I also think it's helpful to include a player both in the Minors list and the NRO list.  If you just added them to your minors squad, while you as an owner may know that Chi-Chi Gonzalez is in your minor team and also subject to a contract, other owners probably won't.  And other owners also probably won't understand why the Total Salary box in the spreadsheet doesn't add up properly (since the Minors list doesn't include a box for contract value).

That said, we can always improve this if it makes sense to do so.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
OK, nah, no need necessarily to redefine or "improve" so much.  With Craig's understanding of the "R" in NRO to mean 40-man roster solely, I get it.  I think I've always felt like my Asterisks are one "roster" with 40 active, and 25 yet-active.  So "non-roster" means both, to me.

But as I've often told others, if you're the lone confused voice, perhaps the problem lies with YOU. :)
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion