Skip to main content
Topic: Who's been on your minors squad the longest? (Read 4419 times) previous topic - next topic

Who's been on your minors squad the longest?

Just curious.  I was thinking of waiving a guy who was somewhat hyped up just last year, but is having a very bad 2018.  I had forgotten which round I'd taken him in last year, and thought I'd better look, just in case I drafted him higher than I thought (which would justify giving him a longer rope).  That got me thinking I should do that for all my minors players, so I created a new column on my farm system sheet ("MSB selection"), and looked up each player's draft order.  And I was stunned to find out that the longest tenured player is a tie between two guys I took in the 2016 draft (Tyler Mahle and Chris Shaw).  TWO YEARS???  THAT'S IT???  Now, keep in mind that my draft strategy until we changed the rookie status rules before the 2017 season was drastically different then, as opposed to now.

Anyway, that led me wonder about the rest of you guys.  I'm very curious:  Who is the longest tenured player in your farm system, and when did you draft him?
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: Who's been on your minors squad the longest?

Reply #1
Jesse Winker for me. Drafted him in 2013.

Chris
Data City Cache Hogs

Reply #2
Anthony Alford, drafted in the 2017 expansion draft...   ;-)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #3
Hunter Dozier, 2013.  I’m sure he will never do anything.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #4
Kyle, where are you finding pre-2017 draft results?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #5
I believe it's Roman Quinn from 2013 as well.  C'mon Phillies, give the guy a chance.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #6

You will find the minor league draft info on the community page on the right hand side under the listings for the Scully League team pages.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #7
Jack Flaherty has been in the minors longest on my roster. He was drafted in the 9th round in 2014 by the Hogs and I acquired him in a trade. When he gets promoted, the next oldest will be Harold Ramirez (2015 in the 9th round) if he doesn't get cut first.

Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #8

I cannot speak for Kyle, but I've kept records of my drafts and many of the first rounds of the drafts. I have all the picks so for in 2018 at least through round 7.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #9
For my squad, Dylan Cease. He was drafted 7.12 in 2015. He was a product of the Chicago Cubs at the time. He's finally putting it together it appears in the minors of the Chicago White Sox.

This is a player that was already drafted when I inherited the team, or maybe I acquired Cease in a trade. I do not remember.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #10
Austin Voth, 2014 round 8, pick 9. Selected two owners ago.

Players from
class of 2014 (1)
class of 2015 (4), 1 from trade
class of 2016 (5), 1 from trade
class of 2017 (7)
class of 2018 (7)
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #11
I believe it's Roman Quinn from 2013 as well.  C'mon Phillies, give the guy a chance.
As Matt already replied, on the community page. But I just wanted to say how awesome @dgonser is for all the hard work he put into this site!

Reply #12
For my squad, Dylan Cease. He was drafted 7.12 in 2015. He was a product of the Chicago Cubs at the time. He's finally putting it together it appears in the minors of the Chicago White Sox.

This is a player that was already drafted when I inherited the team, or maybe I acquired Cease in a trade. I do not remember.
You got him from me.  I draft him in the 2015 draft in round 7, and if memory serves, we worked a trade for him that same season.

Reply #13
Oh, and I just saw I actually drafted Chris Shaw in 2015 (round 6).  So he is the longest tenjured guy for me.

Reply #14
You got him from me.  I draft him in the 2015 draft in round 7, and if memory serves, we worked a trade for him that same season.

Very sharp memory, or is it grudgeful?  The Rum Runners were under different ownership at the time, but the Chicago administration does appreciate the transaction.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS