Skip to main content
Topic: Arbitration for Existing Players & HTD (Read 2672 times) previous topic - next topic

Arbitration for Existing Players & HTD

The CO has discussed arbitration eligibility for existing players and our position is this:

1. All players that are entering the 4th year of their rookie contract, regardless of ICE status or whether they were on their original team or not, are eligible for arbitration this off-season. 
2. All players that are entering their 5th year of their rookie contract are not eligible for arbitration.  In total, only 7 players are affected, of which 5 of them are on teams run by either Darrell, Rod, or myself.  Based on that, this decision shouldn't have much of an impact on the league and, absent the implementation of arbitration, those players would be lost next off-season anyway.
3. The HTD discount will not change and will still only apply to players that remained on their original team for the entirety of their contract so long as that contract was more than a 2 year contract (i.e. 3, 4, 5, or 6 years.)
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: Arbitration for Existing Players & HTD

Reply #1
David,

Which year players would be effected by each of these rulings?

I don't believe I have any players, but I want to make sure.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #2
Re: #1: After the expansion draft has concluded, we will have arbitration for any players who are still on their rookie contracts that either (1) are for $250,000 and expire in 2018; or (2) are for $2,000,000 and expire in 2019.

The only players affected by #2 are players whose rookie contracts are $2,000,000 and expire in 2018.  Those players are not eligible for arbitration.  For example, Yasmani Grandal who is on my team with a $2M/2018 contract, is not eligible.  You are correct that #2 does not affect you.

For #3, listing all that players that are eligible for the HTD would be way too much work.  Basically, a player will receive the HTD if their contract was for 3 years or more and you never traded them after game 1 of their first season with your team.  Joe Mauer, Luis Valbuena, Brett Anderson, Mat Latos, Brandon McCarthy, and Alex Wood are the players on your team that appear to be eligible during free agency for the HTD.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
I believe I have 3 guys this affects from my keeper list: Gennett, Gyorko, and Bogaerts. Am I able to extend them? I believe that Bogaerts would go to the WAR chart and be at $1.5M based on his 2.2 War but I'll be honest this is as clear as mud for me.
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #4
Brian,

I'm trying to understand all this as well. Real examples are great.

Gennett was a free agent, even though at $250K, he isn't eligible for arbitration.

Gyorko, no problem as his WAR will determine his 2018 salary if you want him extendable for 2019 and possibly 2020.

Bogaerts is where I have the problem as well. The way I understand the ICE setup is that it took the four year rookie contract and converted the 4th and 5th seasons into $2M years. So you have a 3-year at $250K and 2-year at $2M. If this is true, he would be in year 4, but his contract is already extended through year 5, 2019. He would be arbitration eligible for 2020 and the bottom of the WAR chart would apply and the increase added to the 2M.

Just my thoughts.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #5
Brian:

Everything Brent says is correct.  With Gyorko, you have a choice.  You can keep him at $250K, but he will become a free agent this off-season.  Or you could have him enter arbitration, which would increase his 2018 salary to $2.5M.  If you do that, you will have an option next year to keep him again (and again the following off-season).  It's up to you what you want to do.

The same applies to Bogaerts though the calculus is a little bit different.  You have Bogaerts for two years at $2M per year.  You could keep him there or you could have him enter arbitration.  If you do, the length of his contract would drop to 2018, but you'd preserve your right to extend him through 2020 (rather than losing him in 2019).  Ultimately, if you are happy with $2M/2019, keep him there, but in Bogaerts case, you could add an additional year if you're willing to pay for it.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #6
So, these contracts will be written as if they're on a one-year deal?  For my example, Betances would be written like this: $1.5M/2018, even though I have him under team control until 2020? 
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #7
Kyle,

That is a valid question. Players like Betances would need to be identified that they have been offered arbitration. You have options up to 2020.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS

Reply #8
When do these decisions have to be made?
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #9
We haven't officially ruled on that yet Brian - but my assumption would be that it would have to be in place prior to the start of FA. Great question though.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #10
The CO has discussed arbitration eligibility for existing players and our position is this:

1. All players that are entering the 4th year of their rookie contract, regardless of ICE status or whether they were on their original team or not, are eligible for arbitration this off-season. 
2. All players that are entering their 5th year of their rookie contract are not eligible for arbitration.  In total, only 7 players are affected, of which 5 of them are on teams run by either Darrell, Rod, or myself.  Based on that, this decision shouldn't have much of an impact on the league and, absent the implementation of arbitration, those players would be lost next off-season anyway.
3. The HTD discount will not change and will still only apply to players that remained on their original team for the entirety of their contract so long as that contract was more than a 2 year contract (i.e. 3, 4, 5, or 6 years.)
I assume these rules will be applied to players chosen in the expansion draft as well? 
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #12
So, these contracts will be written as if they're on a one-year deal?  For my example, Betances would be written like this: $1.5M/2018, even though I have him under team control until 2020? 

Yes, the spreadsheet will identify players who are in arbitration and the year of their arbitration.
David
Phoenix Miners