Skip to main content
Topic: Budget Available on Spreadsheet (Read 3498 times) previous topic - next topic

Budget Available on Spreadsheet

On the page where we can see how much money each team has left to spend, I think there is an error. It looks like it is adding the injury settlement to a team's spent money, where the injury settlement should be subtracted from the money the team has already spent. The amount of money that I have available in free agency went down with the injury settlement for Wright, instead of giving me more money. This seems true for all teams.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Re: Budget Available on Spreadsheet

Reply #1
Since I don't have any injury settlement relief on the Cutthroats I  don't see that there is any problem.

;).

Thanks for letting us know.  David and I will look at the math.  We've moved these columns around a few times and it's likely we've misplaced something.
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #2
I do have ISR and my total salary is correct. I just think the spreadsheet arrives at the number differently than I do:

In my spreadsheet, I add total contracts (including ISR players) of $76.25M + NRO's of $1.25M - ISR of $2.125M for a total of $75.375M.

In the site spreadsheet, it adds total contracts (w/o the ISR players) of $72M + NRO's of $1.25M + reduced salary of ISR players I have to pay of $2.125M for a total of $75.375.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #3
Jason,

The way the spreadsheet works, the Total Salary column is a product of a formula that:

1) Counts the total salary for all your players, which would include active players, NROs, and the total salary for any injured players;
2) Subtracts the number in column J (injury relief);
3) Adds the number in the CO column.

The Remaining Salary column is basically the difference between $90M and Total Salary. 

I just double-checked how classifying players impacts the Total Salary column and removing the INJ designation from Wright adds $1.25M back to your Total Salary and decreases Remaining Salary by the same number.

All that being said, I have added a negative symbol to the Injury Relief column so that it reflects a subtraction from Active Salary and then made the calculation an additive one so that the whole thing makes more sense.  Does that work for you?
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #4
That works. I know earlier it didn't seem to be working, but now it is. :)
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."

Reply #5
Jason,

The way the spreadsheet works, the Total Salary column is a product of a formula that:

1) Counts the total salary for all your players, which would include active players, NROs, and the total salary for any injured players;
2) Subtracts the number in column J (injury relief);
3) Adds the number in the CO column.

The Remaining Salary column is basically the difference between $90M and Total Salary. 

I just double-checked how classifying players impacts the Total Salary column and removing the INJ designation from Wright adds $1.25M back to your Total Salary and decreases Remaining Salary by the same number.

All that being said, I have added a negative symbol to the Injury Relief column so that it reflects a subtraction from Active Salary and then made the calculation an additive one so that the whole thing makes more sense.  Does that work for you?

One additional question. I see that there is a CO adjustment column there. What is that for? I'm showing everything is correct, except for that CO adjustment. It looks like both Altherr and Spangenberg have been correctly taken off my NROs, but is the CO adjustment the million for Altherr. It seems like that shouldn't be there and I should still have $9.475 million left to spend, not $8.475 million.

Just wanting to make sure I understand everything correctly.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

Reply #6
You're right.  I've fixed that.  The only NRO that persists after a signing this year is Kyle's Liriano NRO.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #7
One additional question. I see that there is a CO adjustment column there. What is that for?

Sorry, didn't answer that question.  The spreadsheet calculates a lot of things automatically using certain parameters.  But there are some types of transactions that are a bit more complicated to calculate automatically in a Google Sheet.  As an example, Rod's ISR on Jose Fernandez who he then waived.  In the manner in which the spreadsheet handles calculations for salary purposes, the designation of an NRO on Fernandez would remove the designation of ISR and Rod wouldn't get credit for the ISR.  So I added a manual column that allows me to enter these more complicated transactions.

In the case of an NRO followed by a signing, I'll use Liriano as an example.  Changing Liriano's team from the Asterisks to the Rattlers would remove the link to the Asterisks in the calculations and remove any NRO applied to Kyle's team.

There are a couple of ways to automate this, but it would add more columns to every page that wouldn't necessarily add any interesting information to the spreadsheet.  And given the infrequency that these types of items appear, I thought a manual column that I review each off-season was a better way of handling it.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #8
If it makes things easier, the Asterisks don't mind if Liriano's NRO is no longer applied. 

Just trying to be helpful, of course.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #9
Sorry, didn't answer that question.  The spreadsheet calculates a lot of things automatically using certain parameters.  But there are some types of transactions that are a bit more complicated to calculate automatically in a Google Sheet.  As an example, Rod's ISR on Jose Fernandez who he then waived.  In the manner in which the spreadsheet handles calculations for salary purposes, the designation of an NRO on Fernandez would remove the designation of ISR and Rod wouldn't get credit for the ISR.  So I added a manual column that allows me to enter these more complicated transactions.

In the case of an NRO followed by a signing, I'll use Liriano as an example.  Changing Liriano's team from the Asterisks to the Rattlers would remove the link to the Asterisks in the calculations and remove any NRO applied to Kyle's team.

There are a couple of ways to automate this, but it would add more columns to every page that wouldn't necessarily add any interesting information to the spreadsheet.  And given the infrequency that these types of items appear, I thought a manual column that I review each off-season was a better way of handling it.

I definitely understand that. There are some unusual situations like that, so that's good. And things look right now for the ACLs.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

Reply #10
Hate being a pain here, but my roster is wrong. Both Derek Norris and Fernando Rodriguez were put back on my 40 man roster, along with their salaries. However, they are also like as NROs too and the salary is being deducted there too. They shouldn't be on my 40 man roster, and should only count as a NRO. Sorry, I just want to have that extra $2.55 million back. Thanks.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

Reply #11
Jason - you're correct that they were showing up on your roster even though they were NROs.  That's been fixed.  Sorry this new spreadsheet is a work in progress and probably will be for the first year as we iron our the kinks in all the formulas.

But those players weren't being counted in your Active Salary on the spreadsheet.  I just counted up all the salaries not including your NROs and they total $80,555,000.  So that should have been correct.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #12
No problem. I understand. Good to see where there are slight problems with the spreadsheet, so they can be corrected. Everything looks right now. Thanks.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

Reply #13
I just noticed one thing again. Norris and Rodriguez are now on my minor league roster, when in reality, they should be set free. I know they are like that bad penny that keeps coming back, but I would like the ACLs to be rid of them. I'm fine with the NRO, but they are really free to be anywhere else but Ankeny. :)
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

Reply #14
For some reason I had them in your minor league system.  But they're gone now.  Sorry for the mistake.
David
Phoenix Miners