Skip to main content
Topic: Players retiring (Read 2096 times) previous topic - next topic

Players retiring

I just had a question run through my head (and I'm too lazy right now to go through the rule book to see if the answers there... ); what happens if a player under contract in MSB retires in real life?  I would assume the contract is rendered null and void, but just wanted to make sure.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: Players retiring

Reply #1
I actually opened up the rule book and tried to do a word search for retire or retiring and neither word popped up so I'm not sure it's addressed. My guess is actually the opposite of yours...that I'd be stuck for the MSB salary for the remainder of his contract. Note that this is only a guess and not a definitive answer.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #2
Contracts are guaranteed
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
So a guy who retires is still kept on salary in MSB? Interesting.

What is the reasoning behind that?
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #4
So a guy who retires is still kept on salary in MSB? Interesting.

What is the reasoning behind that?
Seems like we have this discussion every 2-3 years.  I think, basically, the argument is that we can offer 2-year contracts.  If the guys is close to or near retirement and a GM is concerned about it, then pay the extra 20% to make it a 2-year deal and lower the risk. 

That said, I'd love to see the CO consider the idea of 1-year contracts for players who announced their retirement the previous year.  Example: David Ross is an NRO for me in 2018.  I was desperate for catching innings at the end of FA last year, and he had good enough numbers in 2016 real life for me to bid the league minimum on him in free agency, then bump it up to $300K through 2018.  But if I'd had the option to give him a 1-year deal (say at 150-180% of the price), that would be cool.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #5
adding to the offseason discussions...

Keep them coming :)
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #6
That said, I'd love to see the CO consider the idea of 1-year contracts for players who announced their retirement the previous year.  Example: David Ross is an NRO for me in 2018.  I was desperate for catching innings at the end of FA last year, and he had good enough numbers in 2016 real life for me to bid the league minimum on him in free agency, then bump it up to $300K through 2018.  But if I'd had the option to give him a 1-year deal (say at 150-180% of the price), that would be cool.
I like that idea.  Gives GM's the option to go even shorter term.  Another level of complexity.  Excellent.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #7
Actually, if we are talking about retired players, about about dead players? Unfortunately, we've had a few of them in the past few seasons and while Yordano Ventura isn't a huge drag on my budget, it would seem like I can't plan on a player's death. Maybe just something to think about there.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #8
We actually did have a discussion on that one this offseason. And the best solution we could come up with is to treat it like an ISR. So you don’t get full relief, but you do get something. Hopefully that is a situation that we don’t have to deal with very often though...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs