Mutiny Simulation Baseball

League Office => Captain's Quarters => Topic started by: Mike Loar on January 09, 2023, 03:55:25 AM

Title: Arbitration Question
Post by: Mike Loar on January 09, 2023, 03:55:25 AM
Team A trades arbitration eligible player to Team B.  Can Team B offer arbitration to that player?
Title: Re: Arbitration Question
Post by: Kyle on January 09, 2023, 06:09:53 AM
Yes. Basically, contracts never change even though players may move around. The only time contracts are affected are in late-season trades when that specific year's dollar amount can be reduced by 50-75%.
Post by: Mike Loar on January 09, 2023, 10:09:09 AM
Thanks, Kyle.  AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
Post by: David Johnson on January 09, 2023, 01:05:41 PM
Mike, the only thing that can be affected by trades are the home team discount.  Our rules state:

• The HTD will be 10% for players who are re-signed by a team for which that player played at least 3 years but which did not originally promote that player.
• The HTD will be 15% for players who are re-signed by the team that originally promoted that player regardless of the length of the original contract.
• There will be no HTD for players signed to the league minimum.
• HTDs can be awarded even to a player who previously held a 3 year contract and who signs to a new 1 or 2-year contract. However, once that 1 or 2-year contract expires, you will not be awarded the HTD should you re-sign the player two years later.
Post by: Bob Miller on January 09, 2023, 02:22:11 PM
Are HTDiscounts applied to all players ?    I consider two main groups of players:  1) Drafted Rookies with or without Arbitration that are hitting free agency.   and 2) then Signed Free Agents that are hitting Free Agency again ? 

HTD applied to both groups ?    
Post by: Mike Loar on January 09, 2023, 03:10:03 PM
I admit I don't fully understand that rule.  Could you provide examples of each?  Not being obtuse, I just don't quite grasp the concept.
Post by: David Johnson on January 09, 2023, 07:34:29 PM
Are HTDiscounts applied to all players ?    I consider two main groups of players:  1) Drafted Rookies with or without Arbitration that are hitting free agency.   and 2) then Signed Free Agents that are hitting Free Agency again ? 

HTD applied to both groups ?    

That's basically correct.  But they have to play for you for 3 years minimum.
Post by: David Johnson on January 09, 2023, 07:40:27 PM
I admit I don't fully understand that rule.  Could you provide examples of each?  Not being obtuse, I just don't quite grasp the concept.

From your team, if you re-signed David Peralta at the end of this year, you would get a 10% discount as he was signed by your team in 2021.  Austin Barnes however was signed to a 2 year deal in 2022 so he would not be eligible.  Likewise, if you resigned Garrett Hampson next year, you would get a 15% discount since you promoted him and he played for you for 4 years (assuming you don't waive him now).  As a comparison, Matt Chapman on my team (ARB 2) would not be eligible for any HTD since he was promoted by the Sweets and I subsequently acquired him in December 2018. 

Notes on trades are included in the rosters spreadsheet on the page titled, "Players."  The notes are in the transactions column.
Post by: Mike Loar on January 10, 2023, 07:30:58 AM
Thanks, David.  That pretty much clears it up for me.
Post by: profjason on January 10, 2023, 09:12:16 AM
As a comparison, Matt Chapman on my team (ARB 2) would not be eligible for any HTD since he was promoted by the Sweets and I subsequently acquired him in December 2018.

I'm not sure if I follow this about Chapman. If you traded for Chapman in December 2018, he has played 4 seasons for you (2019 - 2022). So, it would seem that he would be eligible for a 10% HTD (but not 15%, since he was promoted by the Sweets) if you resign him, since he has played at least 3 seasons for you. Sorry, maybe I'm being dense here, but Chapman seems like a prime example of the difference between 10% and 15%.
Post by: David Johnson on January 10, 2023, 10:14:27 AM
Jason,

You're absolutely right.  Chapman does not qualify for the 15% but does for the 10%.  I was trying to draw a distinction between him and Hampson and wasn't clear.