Skip to main content
Topic: Draft recap: (Read 2202 times) previous topic - next topic

Draft recap:

Hopefully everyone chimes in regarding Kyle’s thread about your own personal draft stories. That was fun!

This thread is more to help the CO plan/prep for next season. We’re looking for your feedback on what worked, or perhaps more importantly what didn’t work and can be improved on.

Some ideas to get you started:
Draft slots (in general)
Draft slots for the 1st round (and/or reducing the time frames)
Draft slots on the weekends
Should we even be drafting over the weekend
The flip side, maybe we should only draft on the weekend
Could we do a live draft over zoom instead?
Eligibility for draft picks
Etc…

We’re not really looking for a bitch session, and I trust that’s not what this would become. But if there is a better way of doing this we’ll include that in our offseason rules discussions. Thanks everyone!
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Re: Draft recap:

Reply #1
I think all questions are answered in one, if we could pull it off: ZOOM Draft. That would be sweet.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
Oh, the last one... Eligibility for draft picks. I'm all in favor of going back to the actual MLB limits (130 ABs / 50 IPs) at the time the draft begins. But I think we should have to promote ANY minor league players in our systems who have even ONE appearance in the bigs, in the following off-season, of course.

Reply #3
Oh, the last one... Eligibility for draft picks. I'm all in favor of going back to the actual MLB limits (130 ABs / 50 IPs) at the time the draft begins. But I think we should have to promote ANY minor league players in our systems who have even ONE appearance in the bigs, in the following off-season, of course.

Those players with 3 ABs would have no value to a sim team. This year was a little different using the projection disk.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #4
Those players with 3 ABs would have no value to a sim team. This year was a little different using the projection disk.
I understand that, but his service time started. We get to keep players for so long now, I dunno.

Reply #5
I understand that, but his service time started. We get to keep players for so long now, I dunno.
His service time started, yes.  But really all that starts is the clock on the number of option years he has in which the team can farm him and recall him at will.  One appearance gains a player next to nothing in terms of arbitration or reaching free agency.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #6
I probably should have left off my elaboration on the 130/50 limits statement.

Can we just talk about that? Why did we go down to 65/25, and can we go back?

Reply #7
Draft slots (in general) - I think that overall they work pretty well. My only concern is if you have an early time slot because of drafting in the middle of the night. That happened to me on Friday with getting the first slot in the day and the last slot in the day. That could just be more warning, since I don't think I got a note saying I was up.

Draft slots for the 1st round (and/or reducing the time frames) - The draft moved quickly there, so I don't think we need it for the first round. Years ago, I was one minute late and David S just jumped my pick.

Draft slots on the weekends - I would be in favor of it. In other leagues I'm involved in, the timer is more aggressive on the weekend than the weekdays. It did feel like the weekend could drag on.

Should we even be drafting over the weekend - Yes, what type of question is that, we aren't working banker hours here.

The flip side, maybe we should only draft on the weekend - No, what type of question is that, are we just bums (besides Brendt)

Could we do a live draft over zoom instead? - I would actually not like that. I like the studying for my picks. I'll say that some of the guys I drafted late weren't on my radar at first. With how deep the league is and the quality of the GMs, I don't think a live draft would be productive for anyone.

Eligibility for draft picks - I would like to go back to the 130/50 limits for drafting. I know that trying to keep up with what the limits are can be a challenge. As for Kyle's idea of 1 PA or 0.1 IP making a player ineligible, that's just a really poor idea. I don't know the purpose of that idea, besides pushing more players into the free agent pool faster. It will create more dead space on rosters, since we might need to promote someone that we are still on the fence about because he got called up for one emergency start. They should be promoted when they lose their rookie status.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #8
As for Kyle's idea of 1 PA or 0.1 IP making a player ineligible, that's just a really poor idea. I don't know the purpose of that idea...
Sheesh... OK, here's where that came from.  When we limited the PA's and IP's to 65/25, we simultaneously started the arb rules, extending rookies to up to 6 years with their initial teams as opposed to 4. We added two years of control and "gave up" the 135/50 limits as a "selling point" for the new rule. So I proposed going back to 135/50 and essentially offered a "bone" with the idea to promote players with even just brief MLB stints.

To be clear, I like the arb rules, but have never been a fan of the draft eligibility rule change. I'd be in favor of going back to the 135/50, and am willing to compromise somewhere to make it happen.

Reply #9
I wish we were all in the same time zone. The last slot is pretty late and the first slot is so far into the day :P ... whatever though, I'll always make it work. It seemed things went quickly and efficiently but maybe I was busy enough?

Yes, pick on the weekends but definitely not only the weekend.

I feel like a zoom draft for the first 2 rounds could be fun but I would hate preparing for it.

To comment on the running thread ... I feel like the contract lengths on our rookies are actually to short .. and .. players that make it to the big leagues without being drafted should go to FA ... not strong opinions.
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #10
Sheesh... OK, here's where that came from.  When we limited the PA's and IP's to 65/25, we simultaneously started the arb rules, extending rookies to up to 6 years with their initial teams as opposed to 4. We added two years of control and "gave up" the 135/50 limits as a "selling point" for the new rule. So I proposed going back to 135/50 and essentially offered a "bone" with the idea to promote players with even just brief MLB stints.

To be clear, I like the arb rules, but have never been a fan of the draft eligibility rule change. I'd be in favor of going back to the 135/50, and am willing to compromise somewhere to make it happen.

I'll admit that I think you are mixing up apples with oranges here. The 65/25 or 130/50 rules are about drafting players, while you are wanting to equate changes to when we need to call up players to our major league roster. While both of them involve the minors, one is about when they start in the minors, while the others is about when they leave the minors.

I guess that part of it is that I don't see where this tradeoff problem that you see is. First when the rule changes were made with arbitration, we change when you had to promote a player from the minors. Before those changes, you could keep a player in the minors during their rookie season, so you didn't have to call them up until their 2nd year in the majors. So, you got their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th years at a bargain price of $250K. Now, you swap that 5th year for the first year and the price is raised to $500K. If you want to keep them longer, you have to start paying the price of arbitration, raising the price of year 4, getting a big of a bargain at year 5 and maybe getting some value at year 6. However, I kind of feel that you are dismissing the fact that giving those two extra years of control comes at a cost for the team. While you can argue that Mookie Betts at $13 million might still be a bargain, arbitration is helping to tie up salaries for teams. I think my team is an excellent example of that as my initial rookies have been getting to be a bigger and bigger share of my salary cap. Going into the 2020 season, I barely had any money to spend on free agents because of my arbitration players. I had a bit more coming into this past season, but giving raises to 9 arbitration players took a bit out of my team's plans. Arbitration, making promotions happen sooner and raising salaries was part of that trade off you talk about and I think that part is working clearly in the league.

I'm not sure why we need to find a compromise; although I would prefer the status quo to having players need to be promoted as soon as they have a season with 1 PA or 0.1 IP. But that's just my 2 cents on it.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #11
Could we do a live draft over zoom instead? - I would actually not like that. I like the studying for my picks. I'll say that some of the guys I drafted late weren't on my radar at first. With how deep the league is and the quality of the GMs, I don't think a live draft would be productive for anyone.
I 100% agree with this.  I too love the hunt and the study, even as the draft progresses.  Like Jason, there were some late draft selections I did not have on my radar until later in the draft.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #12
What about doing just the first round or two via zoom?

Reply #13
I'll admit that I think you are mixing up apples with oranges here. The 65/25 or 130/50 rules are about drafting players, while you are wanting to equate changes to when we need to call up players to our major league roster. While both of them involve the minors, one is about when they start in the minors, while the others is about when they leave the minors.

I guess that part of it is that I don't see where this tradeoff problem that you see is. First when the rule changes were made with arbitration, we change when you had to promote a player from the minors. Before those changes, you could keep a player in the minors during their rookie season, so you didn't have to call them up until their 2nd year in the majors. So, you got their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th years at a bargain price of $250K. Now, you swap that 5th year for the first year and the price is raised to $500K. If you want to keep them longer, you have to start paying the price of arbitration, raising the price of year 4, getting a big of a bargain at year 5 and maybe getting some value at year 6. However, I kind of feel that you are dismissing the fact that giving those two extra years of control comes at a cost for the team. While you can argue that Mookie Betts at $13 million might still be a bargain, arbitration is helping to tie up salaries for teams. I think my team is an excellent example of that as my initial rookies have been getting to be a bigger and bigger share of my salary cap. Going into the 2020 season, I barely had any money to spend on free agents because of my arbitration players. I had a bit more coming into this past season, but giving raises to 9 arbitration players took a bit out of my team's plans. Arbitration, making promotions happen sooner and raising salaries was part of that trade off you talk about and I think that part is working clearly in the league.

I'm not sure why we need to find a compromise; although I would prefer the status quo to having players need to be promoted as soon as they have a season with 1 PA or 0.1 IP. But that's just my 2 cents on it.
We remember all the details a bit differently. Perhaps because I was coming off the CO when all this was going down. But I’m certain the two are related as to why the 65/25 idea even got traction. But whatever. No biggie, no reason to argue all that.

Reply #14
Draft slots (in general): They work and I hope we continue to use them throughout the draft.
Draft slots for the 1st round (and/or reducing the time frames): Again they work so I would have no problem adding this to round 1.
Draft slots on the weekends: Yes, I felt me lost momentum during the weekends at times.
Should we even be drafting over the weekend: YES!
The flip side, maybe we should only draft on the weekend NO!
Could we do a live draft over zoom instead? I would love to see this, though it would get dicey for me late in the draft. I think the first or second rounds would be great. Many of us do fantasy so I believe we can arrange it. Beyond being fun, I think it would be great to put some faces to the names I have known for so long and help build a stronger community,
Eligibility for draft picks: I would prefer to go back to the old system of 135/60.

Is there is drafting software that could be adapted to our minor league system? I've wondered this about free agent auctions as well?

Could we figure out a way to do automated email reminders? Is there a draft timer that could be added to the site? 

I'm not the most technical so I haven't been sure where exactly to look, but be have a fantastic website/message board and that technology has really put us a cut above. Perhaps we can do this again with draft software.

One other thing I thought might be a good addition. I've noticed a lot of similar names especially when we get later in the draft. I think it might be a good idea to provide of your player along with your pick. That way if we ever run into any discrepancies on which Luis Garcia (for example) we can reference the link. This should also help with some of the spelling issues which I know I am guilty of often and save me having to look up guys I have never heard of but should have. lol
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts