Skip to main content
Topic: MSB Most Valuable Player Award VOTING (Read 860 times) previous topic - next topic

MSB Most Valuable Player Award VOTING

Deciding who gets listed for the MSB MVP has the same basic formula each year: The player must be in the top ten in at least 3 of the 5 classic, major batting categories (AVE, RBI, HR, SB, SLG%).  AND, I have to consider certain players who may have carried a team on their backs into the playoffs.  The trouble with that in 2020 (of course, right???)... only TWO players cracked the top ten in 3 of the 5 categories: Gleyber Torres of the ACLs - (but Torres didn't lead the league in a single category and his highest placement was 3rd in slugging) and the Cache Hogs' Mike Trout (impressive season, but only led in RBIs and the Cache Hogs faded hard and fast at the end of the season). I'm not trying to sway your vote (honestly, I haven't a clue yet as to who I'm going to vote for!), I'm just whining a bit about how hard it was to list candidates this year.  If you'd like to write in a name, please select that option and write in the player's name in the comments.  My sincere apologies if an argument can be made for me overlooking a deserving player.

Two such names are Bryce Harper and Jeff McNeil, who were close to cracking 3 of 5, but didn't really carry their teams to great success this year (Koi and Sweets, respectively).  Heck, Harper was clearly out-shined by his own teammate Danny Santana, I believe most would agree.

By the way, here are the champions of some major categories, who otherwise had less-than-excellent stats elsewhere, and who are thus NOT on the list for voting:
Home Runs: Pete Alonso, Bums (61)
Doubles: Bryce Harper, Koi (54)
Triples: Mallex Smith, Landlubbers (15)
Stolen Bases: Jonathan Villar (55)
And the dubious Strikeout leader: Will Myers (221 in 614 PA's)

Like the CY thread, I just can't list all the stats.  Players are listed, but because there are SEVEN players I felt compelled to list (and truly believe any one of them could win this), I believe it's best to allow you to vote for TWO.

7 days to vote.  Winner will be announced Friday night, December 4.  Thank you.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: MSB Most Valuable Player Award VOTING

Reply #1
I wish I wasn't so stoopid busy this year - and especially this month - or I'd have probably called for a second vote between Trout and Torres.  However, I think we're all ready to move past 2020, so let's congratulate the Cache Hogs' Mike Trout on a great MVP season.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion