Skip to main content
Topic: Blind Bidding (Read 1643 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blind Bidding

Reply #1

Disclaimer: Just an example and not a league that I run, just an owner.

Batters should be separate from pitchers and in alphabetical order as I have as many as 20 teams bids to process daily.

Example is provided below on how to send me your bids.

BATTERS
Mike Aviles  $1,000,000/2yrs               
Michael Bourn  $3,000,000/3yrs               
Billy Butler  $250,000/1yr

PITCHERS                 
Matt Albers  $1,000,000 /2yrs               
Jhlouys Chacin $6,000,000/3yrs               
John Danks     $250,000/1yr

When bidding, please indicate the number of years you want to bid and the total salary (NOT the annual salary). So if you wanted to bid $20 million for a player over four years, it would look like this  – Ryan Braun -   $20,000,000/4 yrs.

This is very IMPORTANT. The length of the contract given will determine the minimum amount you can bid. If you are bidding on a one-year deal, the player must make a minimum of $250,000 per year. On a two-year deal, the minimum is $500,000 per year (or $ 1,000,000 total). On a three-year deal, the minimum is $1,000,000 per year (or $ 3,000,000 total). On a four-year deal, the minimum is $2,500,000 per year (or $10,000,000 total).

As with previous years, the opening of bids for players will be staggered over a few days . Here is the schedule:

Wednesday March 1st – Batters A-G
Thursday March  2nd – Pitchers A-G
Friday March 3rd  -    Batters H-P
Saturday March 4th – Pitchers H-N
Sunday  March 5th - Batters R-Z
Monday March 6th –  Pitchers O-Z

There are NO bid retractions, so please plan and organize your bids carefully (see some useful tips below).

Each player will be active in bidding for a minimum of three days and a maximum of seven days from when they receive their first bid. Once a player has been bid on, the clock starts.

If a player is bid on and then receives no new bids for three days, on the third day, they close and are awarded to the high
bidder. If a player does not go three days between bids, then he will automatically close seven days from the date they received
their first bid. ( see below example for more details ). The minimum amount on increasing any bid is $100,000. There are no $100,001 type bids accepted!

The Excel sheet will be updated later each evening with that day’s results, and will also indicate players who are up for expiring on the three or seven-day rule. Based on the color code on the sheet.

Daily emails with the Excel sheet updated will be sent out. Here is an example explaining the bidding process.

Example: Say Lorenzo Cain  receives his first bid on Mar 1st (the first day a batter with his last name can be bid on).
He gets a no bids on Mar 2nd and March 3rd  If no one were  to bid on him again by the deadline on the March 3rd he would be
awarded to the highest bidder. However, if the bidding is pretty active and he’s  getting new bids every day, then he would close on Mar 7th(his 7th day max) to whoever had the highest bid submitted by that day’s deadline.

The person who bids the highest bid by 7 pm EST that day will get him. That is when you want to make your absolute best bid if you want that player. Even if you have the highest bid the last day of bidding, you may want and need to increase your bid in order to acquire that player. If you increase your bid and no one else bids on him that day, you will still go with your highest last bid.

I don't know if any of this is useful or a process we want to consider. I mentioned I would share, so that is what I'm doing. I like both systems and like having a variety of methods to play this silly game with. Having to guess and potentially overpay is a drawback of the above mentioned system.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #2
No point to really debate this now, but I want to echo someone's comment from the previous thread. 

Of all the league's I have been involved in I have liked our Free Agency the best because I feel it simulates the Agent, Manager, Owner, Player relationship rather well. 

Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #3
No point to really debate this now, but I want to echo someone's comment from the previous thread. 

Of all the league's I have been involved in I have liked our Free Agency the best because I feel it simulates the Agent, Manager, Owner, Player relationship rather well. 

I agree 100%.  I would NEVER advocate for changing MSB's free agency policies as a whole.  My suggestion was only to perhaps do this with the top 2 or 3 players at each position.  Nothing more.  Everything else about FA is awesome.  Heck, blind bidding isn't the ONLY alternative to the "problem" we saw with Keuchel.  Contigency bidding might also address it.  And perhaps that's an even better solution than blind bidding. 

Now, I'm one of three "founders" of MSB (Matt and Dave Brooke - no longer with us - made up the team), and we DID discuss allowing for contingency bidding in free agency and ultimately (obviously) decided against it.  But if I recall ( @thebuland , help me out), we very well may have scratched the idea because our rule book was already the size we preferred it be to start a new league.

Now look what I did... I hijacked another thread/topic.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #4
I'll admit that I have a strong distaste for blind bidding. As I recall, when I first joined the league, we opened free agency with blind bidding and if the two bids were close, then we had a more open bidding process. And honestly, it was horrible in my opinion. I think the current system works pretty well. We occasionally get some strange results, but overall, I think we find the results to work pretty well.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #5
I agree with Jason. However, if anyone would like to see the 24 hour bidding periods shortened, I'd be for it. I get the time zones and overnights pose an obstacle. Perhaps, not counting a block of hours such as 2am-8am EST (or something like that) may work, but that needs much more thought and fleshing out, and is potentially another topic.

Anyway, blind bidding. Don't like it one bit. A) I don't want to bid against myself and hate not knowing where I stand B) With so many players auctioned, keeping track of it all would presumably be a nightmare - a matrix of contingency bids = no fun at all C) With bids routinely posted at the end of the day, "the daily leaders", many owners would just opt to sit back and let others bid (keep the players alive) and then make all their decisions on the last day. Makes the middle days of the auction window pretty much a waste of time  D) Much more guessing, much less strategy E) We already have our taste of blind bidding in the form of the silent auction, which I think works much better as an added piece, instead of the main focus of FA bidding. F) "She wants you, Jack! She wants you bad" 

Anyone know the movie (scene) that F is from? It popped in my head as I was listing out points by letter.
Chris
Data City Cache Hogs