Skip to main content
Topic: Arbitration Open (Read 3846 times) previous topic - next topic

Arbitration Open

All:

So it turns out that we may have over-thought ourselves with the logistics of arbitration.  We had planned on allowing arbitration during two weeks (the week prior to free agency and the week afterwards).  However limiting to those weeks just makes thing a little bit more confusing than necessary.

So we've decided to open up arbitration now and will amend our rulebook next off-season.  Thus you can start posting your arbitration decisions on the forums immediately.  A couple of comments:
  • The players who can be granted arbitration are either those with an ARB 1 or ARB 2 designation or a rookie in the fourth year of his contract, which are those whose contracts end in 2019.
  • If you have players with an ARB 1 or ARB 2 designation (meaning those who were granted arbitration last year), you MUST offer them arbitration prior to the start of free agency.  Any ARB 1 or ARB 2 player who is not offered arbitration before free agency will be dropped from your team and available for other teams to sign in free agency.
  • We will still have one week for arbitration after free agency is over.  That week will give you a final chance to offer arbitration to any rookies entering the last year of their rookie contract.  Make sure to reserve enough money for those arbitration decisions!
  • To the extent that you do not offer arbitration to a rookie entering the fourth year of their contract, you will lose that player next off-season.
  • We use WAR calculated by Fangraphs for determining new salaries.  The WAR number can also be found on the league rosters.

Please let me know of any questions you have.

David Johnson
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: Arbitration Open

Reply #1
The Blues will offer arbitration to 2 players tonight, with one other player still being decided upon.

Eugenio Suarez's 3.9 WAR in his first year of arbitration earns him an additional $2.5M added to his $250K (2019/$2.75M/A1)
Delline Betances' 1.8 WAR in his second year of arbitration moves his salary from $1.5M to $2.5M (2019/$2.5M/A2).

I will make the decision on my other arb eligible player before the start of FA.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
Eugenio Suarez's 3.9 WAR in his first year of arbitration earns him an additional $2.5M added to his $250K (2019/$2.75M/A1)

Kyle, as a reminder, for a player in his first year of arbitration, you don't add the salary to the $250K (or $500K going forward).  The WAR based salary totally replaces the rookie scale contract.  So Suarez is $2.5M total in 2019.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
Regarding WAR for arbitration contracts, I forget, are we using Baseball-Reference or Fangraphs WAR?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #4
Regarding WAR for arbitration contracts, I forget, are we using Baseball-Reference or Fangraphs WAR?
Pretty sure it's FanGraphs.  Whatever it is, WAR for each player is in the official spreadsheet.

And wow, there's really a difference in how Baseball-Reference counts WAR and how FanGraphs does. 
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion