Skip to main content
Topic: New Rule Proposal DISCUSSION: Home Team Discount changes to 15%? (Read 1717 times) previous topic - next topic

New Rule Proposal DISCUSSION: Home Team Discount changes to 15%?

Mutineers,

Recently, perhaps you noticed a possible trend happening in Major League Baseball regarding home team discounts.  Mike Trout and Nolan Arenado didn’t even test the FA market, signing with the teams they got to the Show with at a cost most every baseball wonk believes was well below market value had they tested it.  Kudos to the Angels and Rockies for being the kind of organization players like these two want to play for.  Let’s hope the teams keep the supposed promises they made to both players about doing what it takes to build a competitive team around them.

That got me thinking about something I proposed to the CO back in March: Raising the HTD percentage.  Initially, I proposed it be moved to 20%.  My argument was that saving $500K on a $5M player just doesn’t do much for me.  But saving $1M on that player, that dangling carrot is worth keeping him around all 3 years and reaping the benefits.  However, the point was made that players like Trout and Arenado would NEVER leave their current teams, seeing that 20% of their cost of, say $15M ($3M) is really, really significant and arguably unfair to all others bidding. 

Therefore, we landed on proposing to the league an increase of 15% (instead of 10%).  Please discuss this over the next 4-5 days. The CO will then put up a poll that will read something like this:

1) leave HTD at 10%
2) leave HTD at 10% but one player each year per team can get a super HTD of 15%
3) increase HTD for all players to 15%

Kyle
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: New Rule Proposal DISCUSSION: Home Team Discount changes to 15%?

Reply #1
I've never had a problem with the current 10%, but could see where an owner gets attached to the player who's been on his team since being drafted in the MiLB Draft.

I'm in favor of option two with the potential of it being 20%. Sure it's a bigger number, but you have to decide at the time your player is signed. If the first HTD option isn't your biggest free agent, you have to make a decision.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #2
I think an adjustment would be a nice addition, but I would prefer that it be more strategic.

This could be done is several different ways.

You could apply a special HTD to players who were promoted by the signing team.  Or drafted if you prefer, but I think promoted would be best.

Or you could apply a special HTD based on how many times a player has re-signed with a team.  As an example, you resign a player you drafted and get 10%.  You resign that player a second time and get 15% (or 20%).

I think the tracking could be the biggest issue with this especially with the second suggestion.  But I believe the first suggestion is already tracked to a degree.

If were not opening up to additional suggestions and just sticking with the 3 options, I'd vote for option #2.  For those of us beginning to adopt the Ranked Vote system, #3 would be my second choice.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #3
***You could apply a special HTD to players who were promoted by the signing team.  Or drafted if you prefer, but I think promoted would be best.***

I really like this idea from Matt.  Players promoted would be my suggestion too.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #4
I like Matt's idea too with the HTD applying to players promoted within a system. Theoretically, a player can now sign with a couple different teams as a FA but still qualifying for a HTD with the latest team he signed with. That always seemed a bit odd to me as I thought of HTD being someone playing a long period of time with the same organization and not someone who already shows they'll leave a team for money. I'd be in favor of the HTD only applying to promoted players at 10-20% or I could support a smaller discount (5-10%) for a previously signed FA deciding to stay with the same team. (I realize I'm talking like the player actually has a say in this decision but that is what we are trying to imitate).

Like always, we have to balance the most desirable with something that can also be managed without a full time office.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #5
I really like this approach, guys!

A 15% HTD can only apply to players who've played their entire MSB career with one team. Unlimited HTD's?  And keep it at 10% for all players who've played for 2+ teams.  I'd suggest we include players signed as a free agent, but never played for another MSB team, like Ohtani.  I think maybe guys like Chris Tayler apply here?  Probably a few relievers, like Seth Lugo?  Never on a minor league team, but signed and played their entire MSB career with one team only.

Reply #6
I am in agreement with any player that was promoted by the team gets the 15% HTD. Like others have said I think that is a more true HTD.
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #7
I agree about the HTD of 15% for players that were promoted and originally signed in free agency (without being on a minor league team). I think that's a nice incentive, although I do think 20% would be a bit better (especially when it comes to resign Mookie Betts and Juan Soto for my team).
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #8
Poll coming up - with several options!