Skip to main content
Topic: Playoffs!? Playoffs?! (Read 1335 times) previous topic - next topic

Playoffs!? Playoffs?!

Before the season started, the expectation for the Sweets was that we'd need 1 more year to fully gear up for a playoff push.
The bats were there - Cano, Blackmon, Choo, Bour, Prado, Shaw, & Springer... with Dansby Swanson and Byron Buxton ready to get a full year of production for a 2018 push.  The pitching was further behind, but still coming together with the additions of Strasburg and Quintana with Amir Garrett and Alex Reyes going to get a full year of starts under their belts.  2018 was going to be awesome!

But 2017 has been surprisingly good!

Yes, I think we've over-achieved and most of the season I've just kind of been waiting for the other shoe to drop - but now the Sweets find themselves in the playoff hunt - although most likely ill-prepared for it. 

The Sweets would like to add a couple SPs to the mix and see if we can't continue to baffle the critics (and the owners!) and stay in the race with the crazy-good Cutthroats and Hogs.  I don't have any cap room to work with, but I have a couple 2017 contracts that could move to balance the money piece.

If you see anything, contact me!  holgates@q.com
Scott
Sweets
Scott
Walla Walla Sweets

Re: Playoffs!? Playoffs?!

Reply #1
The Sweets today added Paul Goldschmidt and Johnny Cueto in exchange for under-performing Albert Pujols, Seth Smith, Travis Shaw, and prospect Dansby Swanson.  The Sweets needed a SP upgrade and got one for this year and next in Cueto.  Goldschmidt should step in as an instant upgrade for Pujols and will hopefully act to solidify the lineup headed into the late summer.

The Sweets were able to give up their SS of the future in Swanson because of the emergence of Amed Rosario, who is expected to be called up into MLB at any time.  Losing Shaw was probably the most painful piece, as he'll be a force to be reckoned with for dirt cheap in 2018. 

Likely, Michael Pineda will also be brought up soon to take to the rotation.
Go Sweets!
Scott
Walla Walla Sweets

Re: Playoffs!? Playoffs?!

Reply #2
The Sweets flipped Ace Stephen Strasburg who was starting to feel like his arm was about to give out in about 4 or 5 more starts and were able to nab fellow-Ace Jon Lester from the Asterisks in a move that will keep an ACE at the top of the rotation for the playoff push.  Armed (literally) with Lester, Cueto, Quintana, Montgomery, and Pineda - the Sweets will go all-in to compete for the division title or at the very least, a wild-card spot. 
Go Sweets!
Scott
Walla Walla Sweets