Skip to main content
Topic: Free Free Agency Analysis - 2016 Edition (Read 2973 times) previous topic - next topic

Free Free Agency Analysis - 2016 Edition

You get what you pay for.

Average 2016 Winning Bids by Position

C - $1,677,647
1B - $2,362,727
2B - $1,348,750
SS - $725,000
3B - $2,830,000
OF - $4,680,833
DH - $2,870,000
SP - $3,591,207
RP - $1,7969,186

Highest Paid 2016 Contracts by Position

C  AJ Pierzynski - $4,800,000
1B  Chris Davis - $7,250,000
2B - Logan Forsythe - $4,250,000
SS - Alcides Escobar - $1,750,000
3B - Kyle Seager - $8,000,000
OF - Giancarlo Stanton - $16,200,000
DH - David Ortiz - $7,980,000
SP - Jake Arrietta - $ 14,000,000
RP - Mark Melancon - $6,250,000

Interesting Facts

1.  We only had 4 shortstops selected in Free Agency last year.
2. There were only 5 starting pitchers signed for more than $7m.
3.  There were only 7 players signed for more than $10m in all of Free Agency.
4. There were only 20 players signed for more than $5m in all of Free Agency.

If I get time I'll throw together some pivot tables and graphs, but in the mean time I'll attach the spreadsheet.  Note that I had to pull this data from the old forums so the formatting is a bit weird.  In addition I used a macro to convert the salary to a dollar amount.  I didn't see any errors but there could be some.

Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Re: Free Free Agency Analysis - 2016 Edition

Reply #1
Here is some quick analysis for the results of 2016 Free Agency.

The blue bar is the actual salary cost while the orange and grey lines represent the relative value.  You would want the data point for each year to be within the actual cost. 

Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #2
Darrell:

I'm not sure what that means.  For Acrual salary (which I presume should be actual), is that MLB salary and the lines are cost in MSB?  Because Liriano's numbers seem out of wack - his actual salary in real life was 13.6M in 2016 which isn't reflected by any of those lines or bars. 
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
That's strange.  I edited that typo in the original but its not updating.

The blue bar is their actual DMB salary.  The 2016 and 2017 lines represent relative value versus MLB production.  There should be a third axis on this chart referencing that relative value.   

Liriano's salary is $10,000,000.  In 2016 that was great value.
84 FIP-
.72 HR/9
1.21 WHIP
etc.

But in 2017 those numbers went to
119 FIP-
1.44 HR/9
1.48 WHIP
etc.

There  is little doubt that @profjason and @tigersfancj and others with actual skill and knowledge in this area would do this VERY differently, but every time I send an intake for DMB analysis to my corporate Strategic Analysis team I don't receive an appropriate response. 
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #4
Okay I might change the years from 2016 and 2017 to 2015 and 2016 as it really is a reference to those real life seasons (and their impact on the 2016 and 2017 DMB seasons).

Also, without that third axis, the graph currently makes it appear like you are establishing a dollar value relative to their production in those years.  So I read it as Liriano being worth $25 million in 2017, which didn't make any sense.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
There  is little doubt that @profjason and @tigersfancj and others with actual skill and knowledge in this area would do this VERY differently, but every time I send an intake for DMB analysis to my corporate Strategic Analysis team I don't receive an appropriate response. 

Here is the analytics department for the ACLs. Please do not think we have a plan, we don't want anyone to know that. :)

Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #6
I hacked Sweet's  servers and found this formula:  Y = C + I + G + (X − M)!!!!!

Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #7

I'm laughing inside and out, that is funny right there.

Here is the analytics department for the ACLs. Please do not think we have a plan, we don't want anyone to know that. :)

Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #8
It's actually Y = C + I + G + (X * M), but who's counting...
Scott
Walla Walla Sweets

Reply #9
It's actually Y = C + I + G + (X * M), but who's counting...

I can tell who had a problem in my Principles of Macroeconomics course. :)
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #10
That's strange.  I edited that typo in the original but its not updating.

The blue bar is their actual DMB salary.  The 2016 and 2017 lines represent relative value versus MLB production.  There should be a third axis on this chart referencing that relative value.   

Liriano's salary is $10,000,000.  In 2016 that was great value.
84 FIP-
.72 HR/9
1.21 WHIP
etc.

But in 2017 those numbers went to
119 FIP-
1.44 HR/9
1.48 WHIP
etc.

Thanks for the reminder about Liriano!!!
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion