Mutiny Simulation Baseball

2018 Season => Minor League Draft => Topic started by: David Johnson on January 01, 2018, 06:37:38 AM

Title: Draft Order - First 5 Picks
Post by: David Johnson on January 01, 2018, 06:37:38 AM
Roxbury Robots
Chicago Rum Runners
Bako Bums
Seattle Rainiers
Grants Pass Brewers
Title: First Pick...
Post by: bob_h on April 12, 2018, 11:46:25 AM
Now that the league is off and running, I have begun to think more about the upcoming Minor League Draft. Ever since New Year’s Day, when it was posted on this Forum that the Robots had been awarded the first pick, I thought that no matter how badly I messed up my team, this would be a powerful asset to help set things right quickly. Should I shop the pick? Hold on to it and draft...who? Look at the lists again...still, the name that jumps off the page is...Ohtani. Great start, would sure look good in Robots Gunmetal and Silver...but wait! Is he even eligible? I mean, right now, he is...but what about when the Minor League Draft is held? The rulebook states:

•   Only players with 65 or less career at-bats or 25 or less career innings pitched as of the start date of the MSB minor league draft can be drafted in the MSB minor league draft.

It seems likely that Ohtani will play himself out of eligibility to be drafted, depending upon when the draft is held. As of right now, he has 13IP and 22AB. Barring some unforeseen circumstance, he seems bound to exceed one or both of the specified benchmarks before midseason. So, my question is: Is my understanding of the rule correct? If so, the date the draft is held becomes a critical factor. Would hate to see the draft announced the day after Shotime racks up his 65thAB! Has this issue ever come up before? Darvish? Matsuzaka? Maeda? This issue may also affect several other MLB players, such as Kaz Makita and Yoshi Hirano if they pitch enough. 
bob h
Robots
Title: Re: Draft Order - First 5 Picks
Post by: Rum Runners on April 13, 2018, 08:10:51 AM
Bob,

My response isn't final, but yeah I have never thought that Ohtani would be eligible as he would eclipse the eligibility for both. I lucked out my a few innings last season to grab Luis Castillo. The eligibility limits lock by the start of the draft and at the time I selected Castillo he had passed, but really started to pitch well after the draft.

The timing is so that we know where the recently drafted first-year players are headed, most of them have also signed by the draft.
Post by: bob_h on April 13, 2018, 08:29:03 AM
Very disheartening, if this is the way it is. Very.
bob h
Robots
Post by: Kyle on April 13, 2018, 02:04:29 PM
It is, indeed, Bob.  Those new numbers (65/25) went into effect a couple years ago.  Used to be 130/50 based on the last day of the previous season.  Current season numbers didn't count toward rookie status.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Bottom line: The CO didn't think the Japanese stars who come over to the bigs (Ohtani, Maeda, Tanaka, Dice-K...) should be considered rookies in the sim baseball world.  So these new numbers took care of that.
Post by: David Johnson on April 13, 2018, 08:37:58 PM
It is, indeed, Bob.  Those new numbers (65/25) went into effect a couple years ago.  Used to be 130/50 based on the last day of the previous season.  Current season numbers didn't count toward rookie status.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Bottom line: The CO didn't think the Japanese stars who come over to the bigs (Ohtani, Maeda, Tanaka, Dice-K...) should be considered rookies in the sim baseball world.  So these new numbers took care of that.

Even with the old numbers, I don't think Ohtani would have been eligible.
Post by: Kyle on April 13, 2018, 10:49:25 PM
Even with the old numbers, I don't think Ohtani would have been eligible.
Oh, sure he would.  The numbers for the current season (in this case, 2018) didn't count toward his rookie status.  He would have had 0/0 as far as MSB would have been concerned.  All numbers were based on the previous year's end.
Post by: Rum Runners on April 14, 2018, 04:26:37 AM
Oh, sure he would.  The numbers for the current season (in this case, 2018) didn't count toward his rookie status.  He would have had 0/0 as far as MSB would have been concerned.  All numbers were based on the previous year's end.

Like my son's baseball team did after practice because the coach believed they won at practice.

Sssssssss -BBBOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

This stems from most of the players and coach being from a competitive organization called the Columbia Cannons.
Post by: dgonser on April 14, 2018, 06:22:22 PM
Instead we get to bid on him on Free Agency.  How much would a SP\DH be worth?  $30m?

I guess it depends on how DMB is treating him.

I for one won't bid on him - he shunned the Ms; I'll show him.
Post by: Scurvy Dogs on April 15, 2018, 10:29:23 PM
I for one won't bid on him - he shunned the Ms; I'll show him.

One down, now I just need 18 more of you to feel the same way...
Post by: Brendtmc on April 16, 2018, 01:18:38 PM
This is one rule change here in MSB that I really like.  Players like the Japanese stars that come over to MLB should be open to all in a bidding process just like in MLB.

Personally I don't think they should be eligible for Rookie of the Year in MLB either, but that's just my opinion and I doubt Manfred cares too much what I think...
Post by: Rum Runners on April 16, 2018, 01:58:19 PM
Would they be eligible for MSB ROY Honors? That is what should matter.

I hear a sound. It's the Brinks truck backing up....
Post by: Brendtmc on April 16, 2018, 02:45:33 PM
Considering I don't think they should be eligible in real life, my opinion would be they not be eligible for MSB Rookie of the Year either.  These guys aren't young, untested prospects; they're established major leaguers, even if NPL isn't quite the level of MLB overall.  The players coming over to MLB from Japan ARE top MLB level players.  That's why they're coming to the States.
Post by: Kyle on April 17, 2018, 09:29:43 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how DMB is going to handle Ohtani. I mean, it's like having a 26th man.

That said, I'm surprised we don't see more Ohtani's in MLB.  Especially in the American League.  It's not like these players are sooooo busy they can't work on both crafts.  I understand the specializations and how much the game has changed, but elite athletes come around every now and then.  Seems like every team could find and develop an Ohtani in their organization. 

Another thought: If enough of these guys do exist, say hello to the DH rule in the NL.
Post by: Scurvy Dogs on April 17, 2018, 02:30:03 PM
They exist - it’s just that they typically aren’t very good at either one. Bethancourt comes to mind.

But wait until Ohtani sprains an ankle or pulls a hammy rounding second. Or worse breaks a wrist on an HBP. Or flip it if he needs Tommy John and now can’t hit either. It’s all sunshine and rainbows right now, but they’ll end this quickly when/if that happens.

I don’t disagree with the point. I’ve long thought teams should have SP pitch an inning in relief instead of just pitching on the side. But this is totally different.
Post by: Brendtmc on April 17, 2018, 03:01:58 PM
It will be interesting to see if Brendan McKay can rise through the Tampa system doing both.  If he can, there may be more willingness on the part of franchises to look at the combined pitcher/hitter players more.

There are other issues outside of the injury concerns Rod brought up too though.  A combo player like Ohtani does in a way act like a 26th player, but it also necessitates that there be a part time player to fill in positionally and in the lineup on the days the combo player is pitching, preparing to pitch, or recovering from pitching.  Ohtani is out three games of every week.  In this day of teams grooming versatility in their players, this may become less of a challenge, but it is something that has to be considered nonetheless.   I don't expect Ohtani to continue to hit as he has early on, but any team who has a combo player like that and that player is then removed three times a week for (likely) an inferior player takes a hit in the lineup almost half the time.  ANd then what do these teams do in the playoffs?

I like the idea and actually hope it becomes more prevalent, but it will take a certain level of acceptance and consideration that is not part of the game presently.

As a side note, for all us Dodger fans, maybe Alex Verdugo could morph into one of these players as some point? When he was drafted he was considered by some teams/analysts to be better on the mound with mid to upper 90's heat.  Some MSB team would be very lucky to have him if that possibility came to fruition.  Oh wait . . . that team would be MINE!!!   ;-)
Post by: Scurvy Dogs on April 17, 2018, 10:40:44 PM
I'm psychic - well kind of.
Ohtani has a blister and is going to be out for a couple days, might need a DL stint.
Post by: David Johnson on April 18, 2018, 08:45:44 AM
Brendan McKay (https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/04/17/brendan-mckay-shohei-ohtani-louisville-tampa-bay-rays/500936002/) Brendan McKay (https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/brendan-mckay-works-to-balance-hitting-and-pitching/) Brendan McKay (https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/rays-commit-to-developing-brendan-mckay-both-ways/) Brendan McKay (https://www.draysbay.com/2018/1/25/16932352/brendan-mckay-shohei-ohtani-tampa-bay-rays-two-way-potential)

Edit:  Didn't realize that Brendt already mentioned McKay.  But that doesn't stop me from adding: Brendan McKay (https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/rays-brendan-mckay-dazzling-on-both-sides-of-ball/)
Post by: Scurvy Dogs on April 18, 2018, 12:10:27 PM
Micah Owings
Oh wait - he kind of sucked too. But he’s probably the last guy used like this.
Post by: Rum Runners on April 18, 2018, 06:19:47 PM
It will be interesting to see if Brendan McKay can rise through the Tampa system doing both.  If he can, there may be more willingness on the part of franchises to look at the combined pitcher/hitter players more.

There are other issues outside of the injury concerns Rod brought up too though.  A combo player like Ohtani does in a way act like a 26th player, but it also necessitates that there be a part time player to fill in positionally and in the lineup on the days the combo player is pitching, preparing to pitch, or recovering from pitching.  Ohtani is out three games of every week.  In this day of teams grooming versatility in their players, this may become less of a challenge, but it is something that has to be considered nonetheless.   I don't expect Ohtani to continue to hit as he has early on, but any team who has a combo player like that and that player is then removed three times a week for (likely) an inferior player takes a hit in the lineup almost half the time.  ANd then what do these teams do in the playoffs?

I like the idea and actually hope it becomes more prevalent, but it will take a certain level of acceptance and consideration that is not part of the game presently.

As a side note, for all us Dodger fans, maybe Alex Verdugo could morph into one of these players as some point? When he was drafted he was considered by some teams/analysts to be better on the mound with mid to upper 90's heat.  Some MSB team would be very lucky to have him if that possibility came to fruition.  Oh wait . . . that team would be MINE!!!   ;-)

I agree, I hope to see this as a trend. I doubt a player would ever play a premier position like SS or CF and do this. McKay playing 1B is a push, maybe he ends up at DH or plays 1B sparingly. It is certainly something to follow.

These guys are all the best athletes, why take away one aspect of their game. Baseball has become so specialized, I would love to see a trend in the other direction.
Post by: thebuland on April 20, 2018, 03:14:38 PM
I was thinking Rick Ankiel.  He had a career 4.6 WAR as a hitter and a 3.9 WAR at a pitcher.  But on closer look, he didn't really do either at the same time (other than the typical at bats a pitcher picks up).  I remember him more as a pitcher, but interestingly enough he only had one good year as a pitcher in 2000 with a 3.4WAR.  He didn't have his best offensive year until 2008 putting up a 1.7 WAR.  Had he been a better defender that WAR would have been much higher as he had nice splits of .264/.337/.506   in 463 at bats.

Can you tell I have work things I'm avoiding?  When else would you take a deep dive into Rick Ankiels career?
Post by: Rum Runners on June 08, 2018, 07:40:24 PM
They exist - it’s just that they typically aren’t very good at either one. Bethancourt comes to mind.

But wait until Ohtani sprains an ankle or pulls a hammy rounding second. Or worse breaks a wrist on an HBP. Or flip it if he needs Tommy John and now can’t hit either. It’s all sunshine and rainbows right now, but they’ll end this quickly when/if that happens.

I don’t disagree with the point. I’ve long thought teams should have SP pitch an inning in relief instead of just pitching on the side. But this is totally different.
Oh my on this one Rod a few months ahead of schedule. A grade 2 UCL sprain, going to rest for three weeks. That sounds like three weeks of delaying surgery to me.