Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 Post-season Farm Rankings - Group 1 (Read 2497 times) previous topic - next topic

2019 Post-season Farm Rankings - Group 1

Welcome to the post season 2019 MSB Farm System Rankings.

This is not meant to be a one-sided article, but an all-inclusive discussion and debate.  I have compiled prospect rankings, team reports and my personal overall system rankings that will be revealed as we go, but my hope is that this will stimulate discussion and debate.  Prospects are very volatile in and of themselves, so any ranking of any sort concerning them will inevitably have several differing opinions.

Over the next couple weeks, I will publish my team reports in small groups.  As each grouping is revealed there will be a poll for all to participate in and an open discussion concerning each group.  I will compile a consensus list of the leagues rankings from the polls as we go and continue to update that ranking after each grouping.

To start, here is how I have compiled my reports and lists, and a little background as to my philosophy on prospects.  Using twelve of the more well known prospect rankings lists (headlined by John Sickels, Baseball America, Fangraphs, and Baseball Prospectus), I have complied each organizations top prospect list.  From those player rankings, I have ranked each organizations farm system and compiled my own MSB Farm System Rankings.

My personal philosophy on prospects centers more on potential and upside than closeness to the majors.  I will rank a higher potential, lower minors player higher than I will a utility, major league roster filler type who is closer to the bigs.  Sometimes that ends up biting me on the tookus, as we’re all aware of the TINSTAAPP principal and the rate of flameout for some, but in general the process tends to work well.  I also value positional talent a little higher than I do pitching (again . . . . TINSTAAPP…) unless there is a clear reason to value the arm highly, but that is quite rare.  Just look at the top pitching prospects over the past few seasons and you’ll see why I hold to this philosophy.  Injury, flameout, or a general lack of anything more than mediocre performance is more the rule than the exception.  Every once in a while an Aaron Nola or Noah Syndergaard slips through, but even then (as in Syndergaard) there is still injury concern.  Very few and far between are the highly ranked pitching prospects that actually pan out into reliable, middle to top of the rotation arms.

The first article with the first group of reports has been published on the Mutiny site and those teams prospect lists have been attached here.

Rank the four teams in a reply and I'll tabulate the consensus rankings.

Thanks for participating.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: 2019 Post-season Farm Rankings - Group 1

Reply #1
The loss of Will Smith really impacts the Blues here.

I'm going from top to bottom:

1. Kraken
2. Rainiers
3. Blues
4. Devils
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
I'll take a crack at this...from best to worst:
 1 - Kraken
 2 - Blues
 3 - Raniers
 4 - Devils

Raniers and Devils were close in my analysis with a slight nod to the Raniers.

I forgot to add thanks for doing this. I do something similar for my own team but not for all the others.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #3
Love it Brendt!

From Best to Worst

1. Kraken
2. Rainiers
3. Blues
4. Devils
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #4
1. Kraken (slightly more high end players than the other teams, but those players could also be complete busts)
2. Rainiers
3. Blues
4. Devils
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #5
Well, as I expect from all of you, I'm gonna rank my team higher than others might.  Examples: Sam Huff is the 73rd ranked overall player in MLB Pipeline (that is missed in the download... Brendt, I know you have a lot of players to look at!!).  With him, Smith, and Varsho, I have an awesome catching group.  And with exciting possibilities in Gonsolin, Arozarena, Gil, Cabello, Montero, Manoah, and Busch, I'm gonna go with this:

1 Blues
2 Kraken
3 Rainiers
4 Devils

Thanks Brendt - I think this is so great for the league!
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #6
Well, as I expect from all of you, I'm gonna rank my team higher than others might.  Examples: Sam Huff is the 73rd ranked overall player in MLB Pipeline (that is missed in the download... Brendt, I know you have a lot of players to look at!!).  With him, Smith, and Varsho, I have an awesome catching group.  And with exciting possibilities in Gonsolin, Arozarena, Gil, Cabello, Montero, Manoah, and Busch, I'm gonna go with this:

1 Blues
2 Kraken
3 Rainiers
4 Devils

Thanks Brendt - I think this is so great for the league!
To Kyle’s point about the player rankings on the excel sheets: They are all pre-season player rankings.  Only MLB Pipeline and I think one other ranking site updated their rankings mid- or post-season. I did not include those updated rankings in the spreadsheets.

I will not update the individual player rankings until next spring. You can remind me not to forget Huff then, Kyle. 😉
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #7
I would go with:

1. Kraken
2. Blues
3. Rainiers
4. Devils
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #8
Thanks again for doing this...

My vote is:
1) Kraken
2) Rainiers
3) Team who must not be named
4) Devils
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #9
To Kyle’s point about the player rankings on the excel sheets: They are all pre-season player rankings.  Only MLB Pipeline and I think one other ranking site updated their rankings mid- or post-season. I did not include those updated rankings in the spreadsheets.

I will not update the individual player rankings until next spring. You can remind me not to forget Huff then, Kyle. 😉

I'm not suggesting you change your worksheets but the sources I use (Baseball America, Sickels, Prospects1500, MLB and Fangraphs) have all updated rankings from September and October. I just thought you might like to know.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #10
I'm not suggesting you change your worksheets but the sources I use (Baseball America, Sickels, Prospects1500, MLB and Fangraphs) have all updated rankings from September and October. I just thought you might like to know.
I have the Baseball America magazine (probably going to let that lapse though) and they don't publish an updated rankings in that.  I don't have their online access.  I also lost access to Sickels when he moved to The Athletic (probably going to sign up for that instead of the BA mag.).  I missed that Prospects1500 updated their list, thanks for that one.  As for Fangraphs; I've used their Top Prospects lists published in the spring, but I haven't looked at their updated "the Board" rankings too in depth yet because I'm not as familar with their process.  I have intended to take a deeper look at it, just haven't had the time.

I am still refining the whole Farm Rankings process and system, so maybe adding a second full rankings based on updated or post-season lists like those above could be managed.  But it is time intensive, and once my Bums start contending (and I plan on that sooner than later!), my time will be further cut unfortunately.  I honestly have paid little attention beyond playing time limits and cursory scans of the standings these past two seasons as my Bums have been buried in the Scully.  When contending, I'll be putting much more effort into running my Bums month to month and week to week.

But we'll see.  Thanks for the info.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #11
I update my prospect rankings about 2-3 times per year but I can be a bit obsessive about things and will do it when I'm bored at work. I'm fortunate to have subscriptions to both BA and The Athletic. 

I can't imagine the task of doing this for the whole league.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #12
From best to worst:

Rainiers
Kraken
Devils
Blues
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #13
1. Kraken
2. Blues
3. Rainers
4. Devils
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)