Skip to main content
Topic: WAR - why is it different with different sources? (Read 1157 times) previous topic - next topic

WAR - why is it different with different sources?

Can't WAR just be one formula, like every other stat?  Why does Fangraphs.com's WAR (fWAR) have to be different from baseball-reference.com's WAR (rWAR)?  Can't we all just get along?
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: WAR - why is it different with different sources?

Reply #1
Honest question or just grumpy old man ranting?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #2
Honest question or just grumpy old man ranting?
Both! :)

Honestly, I was just curious because while I was thinking about our ARB values in MSB and bantering with the CO a bit, I happened to come across an article just published this morning in The Athletic about MLB's outdated Arbitration rules.  Also, I'm surprised to learn that Fangraphs, BR, and BP are the only sites (as far as what I read on Fangraphs) that came up with the stat.  I just don't know why they can't all get together and say, "Listen, we all know this is an 'approximation' stat.  Why don't we come to the center with our formulas and present it to MLB which should greatly settle their arbitration process."  If MLB has one stat they and the player's union could agree upon for arbitration values (like we've done in MSB), they could eliminate a lot of garbage. 

I suppose the lawyers might lobby against it, of course.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #3
Simple answer is that Fangraphs uses FIP and wOBA.  Both Baseball-Reference and Baseball Prospectus use other calculations that I'm not as familiar with. Those other calculations try to do the same thing in that they try to negate other factors, league, park, team, etc.

There is a pretty good article somewhere that breaks down the top 3 or 4 different calculations.  I'd have to dig for it.
Darrell
River City Cutthroats