Skip to main content
Topic: 2020 Opening Day (Read 729 times) previous topic - next topic

2020 Opening Day

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have an MSB season!  So grab your cracker jacks, your bag of peanuts, ice cream filled mini-helmet, or whatever other ballpark favorite since this may be the only baseball we get for a while.

As an aside, Rod's computer still seems shot, so I may be running these for a while.  I'll do my best to keep the game summaries fun.  Hopefully the 14 day old laying next to me will behave!

Headline of the Night
In a battle between two teams that nearly everyone expects to compete for the championship, the ACLs went on the road and took one from the Blues 2-1.  This was both revenge for last year's opener (where the Blues won 6-0) and also the ACLs putting their stamp on the season from day one.  Not much more to say about the game beside remark about the pitching performances put on by Bieber (7Ks, 7.2 IP) and Kershaw (8.0 IP with 5 K) and by potential MVP Betts who starts the year with the game-winning 2nd RBI (and also the 1st RBI).

Dogs entered the bottom of the 9th against the Miners down 3-2.  But Ken Giles must have other things on his mind tonight though as his appearance was anything but spectacular.  Aside from getting Justin Turner to strike out, Giles was the definition of touchable in giving the game away.  Ratfart.

Though the Rougarou were able to get on base against Lance Lynn, they really couldn't figure out how to score.  But once the Devils decided to lift Lynn in the 7th, the runs came pouring in - 3 in the 7th, 1 in the 8th, and 2 in the 9th.  Which was enough to propel the Rougarou to the victory on the road.

Almost by himself, Verlander was too much as the Argonauts were able to send the Sweets packing 5-4.  But he got a huge lift from pinch-hitting Fletcher, who came in for a struggling Choo in the 7th, and immediately made an impression with a run-scoring double to center and then a game-winning single to shallow right in the 9th for the game-winning RBI.

The Madmen just got after it against the Rum Runners in a 14-9 game.  Neither team's pitching was good with the Rum Runners chasing Bumgarner after 2.1 IP.  But Richards and Kintzler kept things under control after that and only allowed 2 runs.

Landlubbers were able to get to a surprisingly hittable Cole in the home-opener.  Maybe Cole was too focused on the future?  Or as an away game, his teammates had no access to the in-stadium feed?

Kraken showing why they are a team to fear this year as they put away the Brewers 5-0 on the road.  Jack Flaherty had 9 Ks in 6 IP and Jackie Bradley showing why when he's on, he's considered one of the scariest ABs around.

Though no one should have been sweating during this 37 degree game played at Wrigley, Max Scherzer may have been after being removed in the 7th and watching Cessa give up 2 runs in 0.0 IP.  But Ottavino came in and shut down any more significant rallies as the Cache Hogs take one from the Robots 6-4.

Aside from an error in the 5th, Bauer gives up only 1 run as the Cutthroats from eastern Washington defeat their eastern Washington foes in an 8-3 game.  But more so than anything else, the Cutthroats took advantage of their opportunities and only left 2 men on base to the 7 left on base by the Rainiers.

Last, but definitely not least, the other Scully-only game of the night pit the Koi against the Bums.  Despite their recent improvements however, the Bums still couldn't put the Koi away and the Koi emerged victorious 7-5.  Like the Argonauts above, the story of the night might have been pinch-hitting with the switch-hitting Ehire Adrianza hitting the game-winning RBI in the 8th inning against Robert Stephenson.
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: 2020 Opening Day

Reply #1
That's a way to start off the season with going against Kyle's Blues and taking care of some business there.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League