Skip to main content
Topic: April 7 (Read 724 times) previous topic - next topic

April 7

And then there was one:

The Madmen win their 6th in a row in another 1-run game beating the Rattlers 8-7, but more impressive was how quickly each team was able to figure out the other's ace pitcher.  Cole only went 5.0 IP giving up 7 runs.  Bumgarner made it only 3.2 IP and 7 runs.  And there it stayed until the bottom of the 9th when Will Smith entered the game against Josh Donaldson.  Smith threw 1 pitch which Donaldson hammered into left.  Game over.

It was early in the AM when the Cache Hogs, and the Bums went to bed after this 18 inning game, but I think it's fair to say that the Bums slept well and the Hogs will be haunted by this one for a while.  I also think it's fair to say that Peter Alonso, with the game-winning home run in the bottom of the 18th, is in for a bright future in Bakersfield.

In the 3rd game of the series, Rainiers finally figured out the Agronauts and were able to touch Verlander for 5 runs over 4 IP.  The game was all bout the middle of the Rainiers order - .500 hitting with 5 RBI for their #3-#5 batters.

Unlike the first two mostly forgettable games between the Dogs and the Koi, this one was a nailbiter.  Heading into the ninth inning, the Koi were leading 2-1 after 8 impressive innings by Jose Berrios.  Then Tyler Webb entered the game and things went south.  On a 2-1 pitch with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, Puig drove one deep into left for a tie game and an enormous roar of approval from the Scurvy faithful.  Webb followed up with two convincing strikeouts, but again in the bottom of the 10th, Justin Turner was able to drive one down the first base line scoring Suarez.  What clutch hitting for the win!

I apologize in advance to Kyle for even posting, but the pitching battle between the Miner and the Blues was too good to ignore.  Though it wasn't Kershaw's best night (only 56% of his pitches went for strikes), the Miners still couldn't put anything together until the 8th inning with an impressive display of speed from Nick Solak who scored from second on a single up the middle.  That was all the was needed - though Corbin wasn't perfect either, he got enough done in 5.2 IP and the Miner's relievers were able to keep the Blues offense contained.
David
Phoenix Miners