Skip to main content
Topic: May 6-8 (Read 747 times) previous topic - next topic

May 6-8

Dogs won their series against the Bums with a 3-1 victory on the road so congrats to those who picked the Dogs. In addition, ACLs are now up to 14 wins in a row.  Maybe they'll get tired of winning and let someone else have a chance?

A couple interesting results from May 6 through 8:

The Miners and Rougarou combined for 26 strikeouts in their game on May 6th with Aaron Nola carving up the Rougarou for 11 strikeouts in 6.2 IP.  Though this one ended 8-6, it was not as close as the final score would indicate.  The Miners entered the bottom of the ninth leading 8-0, but Alec Mills, who has been downright awful in a couple of appearances, come on with a man on first and proceeded to have quite the appearance: double, ground-out to score the man on third, HBP, infield single to move men over, and then a grand slam to the very young and very good Yordan Alvarez.  At that point, Ken Giles came in, and despite not having his stuff either, was able to staunch the bleeding.

Miles Mikolas had another unimpressive outing (10.4 ERA on the year), but The Devils are back to their winning ways in 1 run games in their 6-5 win over the Cache Hogs on May 6th.  This one was decided in extra innings and might be one of those losses that Coach Longo thinks about for a while - after Cessa was inserted in during the 6th inning, Coach Longo showed no signs of pulling him.  Maybe he wanted to rest his other relievers, maybe he's thinking about moving Cessa over to starting pitcher, but whatever the reason, Cessa was still in at the top of the 10th inning when Trea Turner took the first pitch he saw over the left field wall for the only run the Devils needed to take the road win.

I don't mean to focus on my own team twice in one email, but the Argonauts and, in particular, Zach Wheeler's performance against the Miners was great.  8 IP with a strikeout per inning and only 1 walk just kept the normally potent Miners bat silent.  Wade Miley was similarly good, but it wasn't enough to stop Story who had both of the Agronauts runs in the 2-1 victory.

This one hurts - after the game into extra innings with the game tied 2-2, Josh Tomlin of the Kraken gave up 3 runs on a Goldschmidt home run deep into left center.  Radar guns in the stadium measured this ball at 118 MPH - just an absolute screamer.  After the Kraken got out of the 10th, Junior Guerra came to the mound and shut down the next 3 batters with two ground-outs and a pop-out with none of them leaving the infield.  Devils win 5-2.

The Brewers brought their bats on May 8th against the Dogs though what is most amazing is how little power was shown.  20 hits, but only 7 went for extra bases.  It didn't matter though - 20 hits is 20 hits and that was enough for the Brewers to score 17 in this home win.  Special credit goes to Jorge Soler who was 3-4 with 4 RBIs and 4 runs scored and to Roberto Perez who was 2-5 with 4 RBIs and 2 runs scored.  Both also had home runs.
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: May 6-8

Reply #1
Get tired of winning?!?!? Never! Actually, I've been really pleased with the way we've played, but even I'm surprised at how well the team has been doing. I'm just afraid of being like the 2018-9 Tampa Bay Lightning, setting regular season records and then getting swept in the first round of the playoffs.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League