Skip to main content
Topic: Any Card Collectors? (Read 960 times) previous topic - next topic

Any Card Collectors?

Hi guys,

I've been meaning to ask for a while now as the pandemic has led a lot of people to get back into card collecting. Is anyone else a collector, recently gotten interested in getting back into it, etc?

As a kid I loved baseball cards and it probably played a bit part in developing such a love for the game as I didn't have a chance to see a lot of games on TV and the closest MLB park was about 2 hours away (and it was the dreaded Giants - barf).

Anyways, during the early parts of the pandemic I was dying without sports and kept reading about these breakers that will open boxes of cards. You pay a portion of the box (and a portion may be all you want to spend as cards have gotten spensive), are given a randomly assigned a team or division, and then you get the cards from that team or division. It was addicting (possibly cause it's pretty much gambling) and I was hooked. I've backed off a bit for financial reasons but its still fun. I love chasing prospects (like in this league) and it's actually probably gotten me some preliminary research for this leagues minor league draft.

I recently fulfilled a dream thanks to Ebay, which requires a bit of background. As a kid my favorite player was Mike Piazza (Orel Hershiser being a close second) and I dreamed and pursued his ultimate card, the Mike Piazza Bowman rookie. At one huge card show, I went to every single booth multiple times, using up all my Dads patience and then some. trying to convince someone to "give a kid a break" and give me a massive break/deal as I didn't have close to the money to purchase one. I finally convinced a dealer, on a very very very off center Mike Piazza Bowman rookie which was my pride of joy for the rest of my card collecting childhood. With a few more financial resources, I recently bought that card, this time a perfect 10 (graded) and fulfilled a childhood dream. It was a super cool!!! for lack of a better description.

Anyways, I can go on and on about this renewed interest in this fun and interesting and sometimes lucrative hobby, but my true reason for sharing is learning is there are any other fellow collectors or former collectors interested in cards again. Or gamblers if that's your thing. LOL

Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: Any Card Collectors?

Reply #1
I collected as a teenager but haven't done much since then however instead I have become a pretty big gambler so I am very intrigued by this.

I would be interested in learning more about this!
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #2
Hahaha!

Definitely combines a lot of of our interests.

Basically, you buy your spot and then he live streams it once all the spots of full. The guy I usually do it with has a youtube channel.

He uses a ramndomizer to pick the box, then pick the order of the people who bought a spot, then randomizes the teams/divisions and matches them to the randomized list of buyers.

I've done it with about 3 different breakers but typically break with one guy who primarily does divisions rather than teams. I like that a lot better and you get more cards.

There is a markup, the breaker makes some money on the deal.  But the guy I go to seems more excited to open the packs then really making a ton of money off of it. I don't know specifics of the mark up but for easy math sake lets say he gets a box for $300. Split between 6 divisions it would come out to $50 per division. To cover shipping and make a little profit he might charge $60 or something like that. He's pretty fair but I have noticed some are not. A breaker can make a lot more money off teams but again, the guy I usually go to is more about the fun of opening packs and getting people some good stuff.  And I think he mostly does it to feed his own habit. LOL!

I've never been skunked, though it happens. Jason La Canfora, the football writer, breaks a lot and I've been on breaks with him. I saw him break a few times in a row and get like 2 cards. The breaker, who knew he does it with his son, made sure to send him out some Orioles cards which was their favorite team.  Last time I saw JLC break, he got a big hit. I think an Adley.

I've gotten some big hits. Arozarena cards have been hot and I hit an auto of his that was limited (only 250 cards) and I sold it recently for $385. I have hit a few other 100+ cards and that is pretty damn fun. I love the chase for rookies and prospects. Tons of fun and the thrill of hitting a big card is pretty freaking great!

If you want to check it out I'll share the breakers website with you. Maybe we can get into a break together.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #3
Yes, please send me the link and I will add it to all of my other things I do gambling wise!
Coy
Rolla Sweets

Reply #4
hahaha!

https://www.keepsakesportscards.com/

If you do the twitter thing hit him up. Bacon (the breaker) is a super nice guy and has lots of great insight on getting back into the hobby. https://twitter.com/keepsakesports1

Definitely let me know if you get into one of the breaks and I'll try to get in on one too.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts