Skip to main content
Topic: Running out of money ??? (Read 1020 times) previous topic - next topic

Running out of money ???

One of the things I often heard as advise from the existing owners is that teams run out of money toward the end of the draft in the later rounds.   To quote one of the greatest Chicago Cubs that ever walked this earth - Lee Elia; "my f#@&ing ass"     Million dollar bids are still flying around like confetti on some rather dubious players.    So..... when is pitching gonna get cheap ?
Bob Miller
The Great Auk

Re: Running out of money ???

Reply #2
There's still $100 mill in cap space (if my math is correct).
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
That is one full team of players to be drafted.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #4
Not everyone goes down to zero though. Doing so makes in-season trading significantly harder (even with pro-rating) as you have to make sure your incoming and outgoing salaries match up.

My guess is we’ll end up with $75(ish) mill in unused cap space by the end of free agency, last year there was $103,593 mill in used cap space. So we’re going to blow by that figure, which means teams are more aggressive this year in their spending.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #6
I wouldn't spend as much if people would just stop bidding my guys up. :)
I don't even care how good the guys are that I get this season since I know I'm going to stink. I just want to be able to field a team all season. I nominated Patrick Corbin thinking I could add him for $250-500k.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #8
Another factor I guess is the open roster spots.    800 total on the 40 man rosters.   98 still open as of tonight.    38 from just the three smallest roster sized teams.   45 are being bid on now in Round 5     Of course I'm sure there are still players that could be waived off of existing rosters.    
Bob Miller
The Great Auk