Skip to main content
Topic: Round 7  (Read 1368 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 7

And now for something completely different...

In the spirit of the All-Star Break, The GIG for Round 7 will involve the best hitters (we'll do something for pitchers perhaps another time) in the league. This is very much off the beaten path of GIG rounds in the past, so please read carefully.  There's basically just one question.  Here goes...

Every MSB owner will pick 5 hitters they believe will finish in the Top Ten (ties for 10th place will count) for the games played in Round 7 in the 5 classic Fantasy Baseball categories for hitters: Hits, HR, RBI, SB, and Runs. Again (worth repeating), this is for JUST the 12 games played in THIS round.

Now, for a bit of a "catch" for this list of players: We're going to divide the teams into "Group A" and "Group B".
- Group A are all teams who have scored more than 350 runs.
- Group B are all teams who have scored less than 350 runs.

Rules for Group A:
  • The first two players you list must be from YOUR TEAM.
  • The 3rd player you choose must be from your current cross-league “twin,” meaning the team in same place you are in, but in the other league. For example, I’m in 2nd place in the Frick, so my twin is the 2nd place Landlubbers.
  • The 4th player you pick must be from your current same-league “opposite,” meaning the team in the same league that mirrors you. For me, that would be the 9th place Honey Badgers.
  • The last player chosen can be your Wild Card: any player from any team, including yours if you wish.

Rules for Group B:
  • The first player you list must be from YOUR TEAM.
  • The 2nd player you choose must be from your current cross-league “twin,” meaning the team in same place you are in, but in the other league. For example, I’m in 2nd place in the Frick, so my twin is the 2nd place Landlubbers.
  • The 3rd player you pick must be from your current same-league “opposite,” meaning the team in the same league that mirrors you. For me, that would be the 9th place Honey Badgers.
  • The last TWO players chosen can be your Wild Cards: any two players from any teams, including yours if you wish.

The point system: You get a guaranteed 1 point any time you see any of your players in the top 10 in any category. That means 25 points if every player hits the top ten. Beyond that...
  • If a player lands in 2nd or 3rd place, you'll get 2 points for that player.
  • If a player gets 1st place, you'll get 3 points for that player.
  • All ties count.

Sound fun? I'm looking forward to seeing your lists.

Please list the players in the order in which I expressed above, and include the name of the team for each player.

EDIT: Round 7 games will start 72 hours after this edit (Sunday, July 17)
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: Round 7

Reply #1
So my cross-league "twin" would be the Winds since . . . . . y'know . . . . . I'm sitting in first place in the Frick . . . again...
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #2
So my cross-league "twin" would be the Winds since . . . . . y'know . . . . . I'm sitting in first place in the Frick . . . again...
Where’s my duct tape?

Reply #3
1) Randy Arozarena (Blues)
2) Nick Castellanos (Blues)
3) Matt Olson (Landlubbers)
4) Bryan Reynolds (Honey Badgers)
5) Vlad Guerrero (Rattlers)

Reply #4
We are locking the thread for some slight alterations.

We will open back up shortly.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #5
We're back open. Please read the "Group A" and "Group B" rules carefully.

Reply #6
My brain hurts! Robots are at 341 RF, so Group B for us.
Robots predict:

1. Own team: Avisail Garcia, Robots. Get hot, Avi!
2. Cross-league twin: Bryan Reynolds, Honey Badgers
3. Same-league opposite: Matt Olson, Landlubbers
4. Wild card 1: Mookie Betts, ACLs
5.  Wild card 2: Vlad Guerrero, Rattlers

Reply #7
I'm barely in group A

Turner & Goldschmidt, Devers on Argos, Hernandez on Sweets, Vlad of course
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #8
1. Buster Posey (Bums)
2. Jean Segura (Bums)
3. Jose Ramirez (Winds)
4. CJ Cron (Brewers)
5. Vlad Guerrero Jr. (WC)
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions

Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #9
This clearly looks like a dmb required round. I'm returning from a 10-day venture at Scout camp. I'll do my best and have turned on my notify to this thread.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #10
I must be really misreading this question. I thought their would be 5 answers in each category. For example, in the Hits category I would name a player from my team, a player from GPB and player from BUM and two wild cards. And then I would do the same for all of the other categories. That answer would produce 25 players in the answers. But everyone is only naming 5 players. Are the answers listed by categories and the players I name have to match up with my group rules?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #11
Here's my answers but I'm still not certain about the question:
 * Benintendi (BRK)
 * Cron (GPB)
 * Alonso (BUM)
 * J Ramierz (SAW/WC)
 * Guerrero (WCR/WC)

For example, does that mean if Cron finishes in the top 10 (during this period) in any of the 5 categories, I am correct?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #12
That’s correct, Dan. 5 players only. 5 categories of stats for each of the 5 players.

Reply #13
I will get my reply in in just a bit.   Was stacked up the last few evenings.   
Bob Miller
The Great Auk

Reply #14
My Great Auk is a B Group team for this poll as less than 350 runs scored,  (only the hapless Kraken scored less than the Auk.  The Koi are fourth least so there is something about ocean dwelling creatures as team logos in this league that impairs run scoring)  That matches me up with the ACL's in the Landis league and the #4 team in the Frick so the Dogs.    

My team:   B Buxton
Cross league team:  J Soto
Same league mirror:  Ohtani
WC 1 - Vlad G
WC 2 - Jose Ramirez

Question:     What if an owner of one of these teams or any team owner decides to bench a player due to playing time limits and this player was picked in the poll ?     Re-pick or SOL ?       
Bob Miller
The Great Auk