Skip to main content
Topic: Steve Cohen (Read 306 times) previous topic - next topic

Steve Cohen

I consider you guys knowledgeable and passionate about baseball, so I'd like to hear what you all think about what Steve Cohen has done this winter.

To date, Cohen has raised his teams payroll for 2023 north of $384M, incurring a current tax bill of around $111M.  In total, Cohen will be spending just shy of HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for his payroll.  I don't know about any of you, but I fully expect him to sail well past the $500M mark when all is said and done.

The obvious questions are . . . Is this good for baseball?  What, if any, ramifications will this trigger within the sport?  Does this make a complete mockery of last year's CBA negotiations and ultimate settlement?  Is the system broken?

On the surface of it, I believe it definitely brings certain issues to the forefront.  First and foremost, is there an competitive imbalance in the sport because there is no hard cap on spending.  Don't get me wrong, I understand all owners/ownership groups are billionaires operating teams that are worth billions.  I have long wanted a salary floor AND some level of public accountability to be instituted to make some of these miserly owners spend and prove they're not just hording profits at the expense of their teams. But you have to admit that there is a HUGE difference between the Bruce Sherman's (>$1B net worth), Charlie Monfort's (~$1B), Robert Nutting's ($1.1B) of the world and Steve Cohen's estimated $17B net worth.  No matter the market size, team success, fan base, there is no way many (most?) of these owners can afford to spend $500M in a given year (and more than likely for multiple years).  It's just not a sustainable model.

I am interested to hear what others think about the many layers of this argument.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: Steve Cohen

Reply #1
As a Mets fan. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Spend more big guy…

Just save some for Ohtani next year!
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #2
But in general, I agree with your point.

I don’t love the salary cap and “max” contracts in the NBA. So I’ve always thought the tax rules in MLB made sense. The players are in a true open market, not capped by an artificial max on their salary and teams have the ability to exceed the cap if they were willing to pay. Made sense.

The problem is Cohen broke the system when he clearly doesn’t care about the tax. So I would expect there will be changes made in the next CBA.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
I read where the players union never pushed for a salary floor as they opposed a cap on salary.   I am a law and order leaning moderate and an economic conservative but I do see some irony in the total embrace of free market capitalism to allow the top 10-20 players to make ultra millions while the mid market and lower players don't share that wealth.   Then the ramifications on the fans of the sport where ticket prices and pay TV packages make the viewing the sport getting to the point where it is close to prohibitive.   I'm not as fan of Bolshevik Bernie but maybe some common sense deal could make things much better for all.   
Bob Miller
The Great Auk

Reply #4
Mets fans will be paying $150 for the worst seats in the house. Trust me, rich people don't spend without getting something in return. The fans WILL pay more for EVERYTHING. And if Cohen is a trend-setter, this is bad for baseball across all teams.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #5
Very true @Kyle
He’s going to be recouping that somehow.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs